Author Topic: Are Bronies just another (uber) sports Fans  (Read 8985 times)

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
Are Bronies just another (uber) sports Fans
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:46:07 pm »
A reply I left on a post in Wired.com
I do not  think bronies are redefining manhood but celebrating or fans of children show as men. I was reading an blogger rant how he world not  let is son wear a  Pony back pack. He showed a picture form a brony gathering , guys in wigs and face paint. I thought were did I see this before, guys gathering in one place, in mass, and guy in wigs and face paint. The answer at a sporting event.  There no difference except  the subject between Sports fans and bronies.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:09:32 am by Acton »

Offline Darian

• Male
Re: Are Bronies just another (uber) sports Fans
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:08:31 am »
Speaking as a broney/furry. I agree. I am getting kinda sick of being persecuted for liking something "wrong" when we as a country spend million of dollars each year to celebrate  something we are "suppose to" like.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:41:44 am »
A reply I left on a post in Wired.com
I do not  think bronies are redefining manhood but celebrating or fans of children show as men. I was reading an blogger rant how he world not  let is son wear a  Pony back pack. He showed a picture form a brony gathering , guys in wigs and face paint. I thought were did I see this before, guys gathering in one place, in mass, and guy in wigs and face paint. The answer at a sporting event.  There no difference except  the subject between Sports fans and bronies.

...Well,  yes.  I don't think you could really qualify watching a television show as being a, "Sport," but what you're getting at is that it's an interest... Much like the fandom,  or any other hobby we may have.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:56:39 pm »
...Well,  yes.  I don't think you could really qualify watching a television show as being a, "Sport," but what you're getting at is that it's an interest... Much like the fandom,  or any other hobby we may have.
Going to a game dressed up in body paint and large foam fingers is also not a 'Sport'.

Offline Acton

• Male
    • Acton Hermitage

Offline Alsek

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:25:16 am »
Again,  I don't really see a relation.  Bronies are a LOT more like Furries than sports fans... To the extent that there is a massive overlap. (Unlike other people,  i do not consider it to be a subgroup of furries,  but rather,  a group with a large interest overlap.)

It's hard to relate that to mindlessly screaming obscenities and giving sports advice to the greatest aesthetes in the world while watching them throw a ball back and forth... They're active participants in the culture.  While  they do have a major source for their content unlike furries (and much more like Trekkies) they are still artists,  costumers,  and writers just like us.  Many are also furries.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:11:56 am »
Alsek:  Yeah, I gotta agree with at least most of that. For example, while I'm not sure I'd consider myself in the same camp as brony, I am a fan of the show. But my being a fan of the show is not directly related to my interest in the furry fandom. I'm a fan of the show because I find it entertaining and often humorous. And I like the animation.

Where I disagree slightly though, is that I do see connection with sports fans, but only because all fan-ness in general has some level of overlap. Then again, it's probably nothing worth any special note. So... yeah I pretty much agree with you.

Offline Choco Puff

• Shim's Best
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:39:41 am »
Again,  I don't really see a relation.  Bronies are a LOT more like Furries than sports fans... To the extent that there is a massive overlap. (Unlike other people,  i do not consider it to be a subgroup of furries,  but rather,  a group with a large interest overlap.)

It's hard to relate that to mindlessly screaming obscenities and giving sports advice to the greatest aesthetes in the world while watching them throw a ball back and forth... They're active participants in the culture.  While  they do have a major source for their content unlike furries (and much more like Trekkies) they are still artists,  costumers,  and writers just like us.  Many are also furries.

I frequently scream obscenities and friendship advice at my TV to the greatest friends in the world
Shim Made Me Do It

Offline Acton

• Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:47 am »
The  difference is between Men and Women or men like to go in mass to the football stadium  ( here and overseas) and women go shopping  At sports events  men like together and in mass on a large scale  were women seem to trend  towards  small intimate gathering with friends to go shopping.
What this difference between men and women has to do with My Little Pony?  MLP and its fans existed since 1980 but large scale fan cons, attracting thousands, were hardly heard of.  A pony convention was local show local day shows about display and shopping: think antiques shows before eBay. It was until guys got involved the fandom went critical mass and we start to see large scale fan con like Bronycon NY.  Once the fandom reaches critical mass then it starts attracting female involvement. Even today I note that transition is happening in the Boy fandom when I seen all of the pony cosplayers and Portland Comic Con are women and girls.
Another insight I have is as a Male Hello Kitty fan, in a fandom that is dominated by women and girls. There a place Hello Kitty junkies. Compare Hello Kitty Junkies and Hello Kitty Junkie to Equestria Daily
http://www.hellokittyjunkie.com
and
http://hellokittyjunkies.ning.com
to
http://www.equestriadaily.com

Hello kitties Junkies have a membership of 6889 around the world, but only 150 are males. I notice this phenomenon where the post I made about what I acquired but posts were I was more analytical or con report got the least. Furthermore when I became a Hello Kitty fan in 2008, there was attempt to create a fan style Hello Kitty convention; the con did not come to fruition due to a lack of interest.
I would say if wan not for the bronies and the guys, MY Little Pony fandom will still exist but not as the scale as we see today. Guy are not changing the meaning of manhood but approaching MLP as men. 

Offline Alsek

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:00 am »
I frequently scream obscenities and friendship advice at my TV to the greatest friends in the world

I laughed so damned hard.  You have no idea.  xD