Author Topic: Ohio bans human/animal hybrids!  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Ohio bans human/animal hybrids!
« on: July 09, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »
I can't believe nobody has noticed or posted this yet?  :o
But anyway, here's some sample links that discuss about how an Ohio senator has introduced a bill to ban human/animal hybrids.
Sorry, folks. But looks like your dreams of real anthros in the future........will just be a pipe dream.  :(  :P
http://veracium.com/blog/bozone/ohio-senate-passes-bill-b98
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_SB_243
And in Arizona.......
http://azstarnet.com/news/science/health-med-fit/article_99ea8420-3c02-5ee4-80a1-55c7057382e2.html

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: Ohio bans human/animal hybrids!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:16 am »
This is interesting, because I remember a few years ago, there was some trivia..something I heard on the radio regarding a woman giving birth to a litter of Rabbits.

Anecdote aside, I wonder what prompted this  :o

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:04:52 am »
Sorry, folks. But looks like your dreams of real anthros in the future........will just be a pipe dream.  :(  :P
Actually, perhaps the opposite is true. I mean, if they really feel it's necessary to place bans, perhaps that means scientists were getting close.  Or maybe it just means these people are paranoid.  In fact, either way I think they are paranoid to even be purposing such a ban in the first place. So...  never mind.

It bothers me that the justification is "it's not appropriate". Seriously, things should not be banned simply because someone thinks them inappropriate. They should be able to point to actual harm that would come from it. (not that that's stopped people from putting other bans in place for equally stupid reasons).

A ban like this won't stop anything. Instead all it does is slow down progress. Not only that but if they somehow think they are stopping suffering (since early cloning attempts tend to be malformed and die early deaths), in reality they increase probable suffering since in placing a ban they give up the ability to impose safety regulations.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:09:19 am »
And a crippling blow has been dealt to yet another dozen lines of promising medical research which could save millions billions of lives, all in the name of preventing lab animals from suffering (because as we all know, having a few human genes is the root of all suffering). Yay animal rights! No, not really. It's not really about animal suffering. But we can't say what it's really about without offending religious people. Oops.

EDIT: I just realized that this the same Governor Jan Brewer I keep hearing about on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, with the immigration law thing. So she's a speciesist as well as a racist. I'm glad I'm not American.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:19:01 am by Foxpup »

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:00:51 am »
That do (not) realize that this is just like the texas marriage ban; there will be all sorts of unintended over-reaching side-effects.

Either that, or the law-to-be would be so full of holes that there would be plenty of loopholes to use. I'm thinking its going to have over-reaching side-effects though. I've seen it happen... too many times (ie, texas marriage ban, a ban on endangered animal product sales which inadvertantly banned the trade of already established cell lines from those animals used for research, etc.). I'll just wait and see what happens when they realize that certain medical treatments just become unavaliable.

Anyways, it's not like its doing to stop biomedical research. Scientists will either; work around it via loopholes, evade the ban, or leave the state(s)/country.

Oh, and several more things;
1) I hope this doesn't get passed on a federal level.
2) If it does, I hope it gets repealed asap.
3) I have lost some of my respect for canada. (they already have something like this)
4) And I can easily make anthros sans the inclusion of any human material. It would be a peice of cake. Except for the money to buy the actual equipment, and the actual massive amounts of time and simulations that would need to be run.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »
I agree with Var... I cant stand when some nut in the government goes out on a crusade and decides he knows what is best for the entire country.  Im really sick of the government deciding what is best for me, I believe that I should make those decisions.  If I want to turn myself into an anthro (I don't) I should have the option to.  This is the problem I have with government involved in every corner of our lives.  ...Where is this country going???... and why is it in this handbasket?!?!
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 03:36:19 pm »
It's not really about animal suffering. But we can't say what it's really about without offending religious people. Oops.
Maybe, but you can hint at it without invoking religion directly.

It seems to me that it's due to an overinflated view of where humans fit in the universe. But they have no evidence to support this notion, and that in fact the evidence points to humans being just another species on this little insignificant speck of a planet. Therefore in order to maintain their delusions they legislate bans to stop free inquiry.

And yes, this is common with some religions since they tend to have this kind of overly human centric view of the universe. (and yes some might find it offensive, but for those that do, please -really- think about why it's offensive. I think you'd find it's due to this suggesting you are wrong. There is nothing inherently offensive in what I've said here.)

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »
This reminds me alot about what I've read on human cloning. A cross between human dna with an empty cows egg. It was dividing, but was terminated, I believe. As cool as real anthros would be, I highly doubt you'd get a cute critter as the outcome. More like a mess of genetics and flesh.  Aside from appealing to furries and neko lovers, there isn't much use for hybrids. Alot of animal strenghs are already replicated and without gene splicing. Night vision goggles are a perfect example.

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 10:40:02 pm »
Or maybe it just means these people are paranoid.

Jan Brewer.. paranoid?  Naahh  :D

It's neat to think that they actually might be fiddlin' with this sort of thing... I'm sure they are behind clsoed-doors, but wouldn't it be a hoot if they made it public by introducing the first anthro critter.... Things might turn out like the world Furtha High's webcomic is based on...  (:

Then again, perhaps Brewer's paranoia could be justified a'la Jack-Webcomic style..  :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:43:02 pm by Jake »
Cheetahfluffs

Offline J. March OHare

• I think, therefore I'm mad.
  • Male
    • The Robert A. Cook Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:44:47 pm »
I think they're way too late. I believe geneticists have been putting human genes into animals for years. Agribusiness has already inserted human genes into our food. My guess is, the idiots in the legislature simply have no idea.

However, if it comes down to a duel between state (or federal) legislators and Monsanto, Monsanto will win. Legislators are overhead; Monsanto is profit. It and its corporate brethren buy those clowns' tickets into office.

This amounts to nothing more than public posturing for the ignorant masses.

Offline Cimarron

• A Little Inappropriate
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 10:47:22 pm »
Monsanto always wins... Why do you think we have corn in EVERYTHING we consume in this country.
Dont fursecute me yo!

Offline J. March OHare

• Male
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 10:56:17 pm »
The opening link Kobuk posted said it all: "The sci-fi movie Splice seems to have scared the Ohio’s State Senator Steve Buehrer." Yep. Just the kneejerk reaction of dribbling morons toward a science fiction film. Those bozos have no idea that we've been doing it for years. I wonder if their stupid bill even specifies a percentage of human genetic material.

I'll bet it doesn't. Sounds like the work of Zero Tolerance thinkers.

This nonsense will go down in flames, but it'll be interesting to see if it makes it to the Supreme Court. I guess it depends on how stupidly tenacious legislators are. I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall that some genomes thus modified are even patented.

Think they're going to upset the economic applecart? Think again.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 02:40:21 am »
This reminds me alot about what I've read on human cloning. A cross between human dna with an empty cows egg. It was dividing, but was terminated, I believe. As cool as real anthros would be, I highly doubt you'd get a cute critter as the outcome. More like a mess of genetics and flesh.  Aside from appealing to furries and neko lovers, there isn't much use for hybrids. Alot of animal strenghs are already replicated and without gene splicing. Night vision goggles are a perfect example.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Human-animal_hybrid#Rationale

Creating people with animal DNA isn't the point (and is certainly unethical unless applied to an already developed human (which isn't possible with today's technology and isn't even banned under this legislation)). Creating animals with human DNA is much more useful, because you can do cool things like create animals with human organs for transplantation, you know, stuff that saves lives. Not that anyone cares about that.

Offline J. March OHare

• Male
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:20 am »
Foxpup: "...you can do cool things like create animals with human organs for transplantation, you know, stuff that saves lives. Not that anyone cares about that."

They do if they have a bad heart and a new one that their body won't reject can be grown inside a pig. And that is exactly the kind of thing that's being developed.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:26 am »
Foxpup: "...you can do cool things like create animals with human organs for transplantation, you know, stuff that saves lives. Not that anyone cares about that."

They do if they have a bad heart and a new one that their body won't reject can be grown inside a pig. And that is exactly the kind of thing that's being developed.

Okay, let me rephrase that. It's not like anyone in government cares about life-saving medical research. Unless, as you point out, they or someone they care about is suddenly stricken with an incurable disease. Until then, they just pass whatever legislation they think will get them re-elected, regardless of how many people have to die for it.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 05:20:17 am »
Ok, I give you that much with the organs thing. That still kinda crosses over with cloning, though. I mean, not like you can just grow organs and call it that. It'd have to be a cloned organ to really make it worthwhile so you wouldn't have to deal with anti rejection medication as it would be your own. It all depends on how research is being done. A flat out ban to is way too vague.

Offline Kris

• My Furaffinity
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 09:51:47 am »
A flat out ban to is way too vague.

That's exactly what you want if you're afraid of change.

Hammer, meet nail  :D
Cheetahfluffs

Offline Spirit

• Female
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 09:48:17 pm »
I personally don't see any loopholes. The following are from the Ohio bill and the article about Arizona, respectively:
(B) No person shall knowingly do any of the following:
(1) Create or attempt to create a human-animal hybrid
The law, which takes effect July 29, even more specifically bars anyone from intentionally or knowingly creating or attempting to create a human-animal hybrid.
Both articles focus mainly on human-animal chimeras, and I understand that there are other ways to create an "anthro", but wouldn't they still qualify as knowingly creating a human-animal hybrid?

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:00 pm »
nope; they would not technically any part human... not if you do it right anyways

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »
I personally don't see any loopholes. The following are from the Ohio bill and the article about Arizona, respectively:
(B) No person shall knowingly do any of the following:
(1) Create or attempt to create a human-animal hybrid
The law, which takes effect July 29, even more specifically bars anyone from intentionally or knowingly creating or attempting to create a human-animal hybrid.
Both articles focus mainly on human-animal chimeras, and I understand that there are other ways to create an "anthro", but wouldn't they still qualify as knowingly creating a human-animal hybrid?

Nope. Only embryos count as human-animal hybrids. After eight weeks, it becomes a fetus, and then you can mess with its genes as much as you want and it's still human (at least according to the terms of the bill). Of course, messing with the genes of a multicellular organism is impossible with current technology, but once the technology becomes available, they'll probably put a blanket ban on it, too; even for consenting adults like us (well, most of us).

Offline CiceroKit

• I'll get back to you on that
  • Female
    • My FA page
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:02 am »
Um... humans are animals. Maybe they don't know that in Ohio? Or at least, they seem not to know that in the state senate.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:35:22 am by CiceroKit »
Artist. Educator. Activist. Writer.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cicerokit/
Cicero Kit on Second Life

Being a furry artist is a sideline; I am a public relations professional by trade as well as adjunct faculty at two technical colleges in Wisconsin. I also freelance as a graphic designer and journalist and have had an editorial comic series published. Anything you want to know? Ask.

Offline Foxpup

• Male
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 08:51:25 am »
Um... humans are animals. Maybe they don't know that in Ohio? Or at least, they seem not to know that in the state senate.

*reads the Big Book of American Law for Crazy Right-Wingers, by which I mean the Torah* Well, that's not it says here. In any case, they were careful to define "animal" as "non-human", which also rules out human-fungus hybrids (what a shame, such a hybrid would be far more intelligent than most of the American government).

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 12:50:29 pm »
If there is money to be made someone will do it. Even if they
have to set up a underground lab elsewhere in the world.

If they can use a pig as a host to clone organs, there will be people
who will pay anything to extend their lives inspite of laws.  As we know
those who have lots of money can find ways around laws.

Personally I think science is much closer to being able
to create humanoid hybrids than any scientist would admit.

I often wondered if a humanoid hybrid ever exsisted in nature.. It would
likely have been difficult for it to survive.. I imagine evidence  of creature diversity
in the past isn't all that great as the vast majority of animals and humans ended up
as dirt instead of fossils.  Even if one was found I imagine science would just
discount it as a fossil of two beings laying over each other and store it away
someplace.

my thoughts.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Avan

• Our FA
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 02:53:50 pm »
Some people are not motivated by money you know. I can personally vouch for that.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 05:50:29 pm »
*reads the Big Book of American Law for Crazy Right-Wingers, by which I mean the Torah*

@Foxpup:  I don't know what you meant by that and I probably don't want to know. And I fail to see why the Torah was mentioned. Therefore.......since this is my thread, I'm going to have to ask everyone to please leave religion out of this thread since that's not what this thread is about. Thanks.