Author Topic: Religion and Children  (Read 9363 times)

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
Re: Religion and Children
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 08:52:44 pm »
Anytime! I am to please!

So religion! Who is following one and planning on passing it on?
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 08:53:45 pm »
So religion! Who is following one and planning on passing it on?

I'm Jewish, and..I might raise my children that way, someday, but I'd probably let them choose, at a certain point, whether or not they want to continue it.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:43 am »
I will likely raise my children [assuming I am ever able to adopt and raise children, that is] much as I was raised. For them to accept it if they believe it, based on what they are shown - and to accept them if they don't.

My family, my father in specific, did espouse the importance of religion. But, much more-so, the importance of free-thought and faith -together, as odd as that may seem to some.
We went to church here and there, never very consistently. But we were always taught to read the Bible. To study it. To actually learn it and interpret it, not just to listen to the preacher.

It was on much the same par as study in school. Study it, form your own opinion, and back it up. Reading the Bible was to my dad as important as understanding science and math - fundamental to success.

We were never forced into religion. We were never told what to do or think - in that scheme, at least. We were never forced into church.
When my family, my father, finally decided to return to church, it was with the knowledge and backing of the whole family. We all agreed to go and try it. To try to return to church going life. And it was with that thought and intention that we did so, not by force. And since then I have only infrequently went - off and on church attendance, if you will.
We were given a choice. We thought it over. We studied it, we learned, we formed an opinion. We acted. As a family, and as individuals.

And I feel that is how it should be. Give a basis as parents, an ethic to live by, but let the person -the child, as they grow and mature- make up their mind, of their own understanding.

It cheapens the meaning of faith [if not negating it completely] to force someone into it. It is not a choice - and the way I have come to feel is that if you do not freely accept it, it means nothing; does nothing for you.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »
Sounds like a nice story, Fenny :3 So do you currently consider yourself part of any religion?
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Fenny the Fox

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2010, 05:52:01 am »
Sounds like a nice story, Fenny :3 So do you currently consider yourself part of any religion?

In a sense, yes. I am certainly of a certain spiritual mindset - chiefly, that of Christian origin.

Though I reluctant to say I am part of a "religion". Religion implies a set of mandated dogma, while my belief is far and away from any established groups' view set. Eclectic, if you will. I simply pale at the thought of anyone dictating how Faith should be expressed by a person; to me, that is a gross abuse of power and a system of control.
F[Fennec]CF3a A C D H++ M- P+++ R T+ W Z! Sm RLET a cln+ d! e+ f+ h+ i+ j+ p+ sm+

P[red panda]/>F[fennec] B++ BB+ C+ E+ FF++ I+ >M MM- N+ O+ Tru* a