Poll

Should aid stop?

No, we're all in this together.
0 (0%)
Yes, because we would have seen improvement a long time ago.
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Should aid stop?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Mooshi

Should aid stop?
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
The world is a cruel place. In a previous thread I've mentioned would a unified government be a good idea. What a fool I was...I was being an idealist. In reality, there is too much in-fighting. So now my views are more of a realist.

This isn't an American thing, it's a world thing. Chances are, you are lucky enough to be living in a first world nation. Most likely your country is the type to send aid along with the UN to poor countries. However, our global economy has been less than stellar - many countries are in debt. Should foreign aid stop? Give your reasons for why it should or shouldn't.

----

In a perfect world, we'd all get along and everyone would have an ideal life. Reality says, that isn't going to happen. I'm also a firm supportor of Darwinism. "Only the strong survive". As heartless as it may come off as, I think we should stop sending aid. Why? Take a look at modern day Africa, the middle east and other 3rd world nations. Billions..Trillions of dollars in aid pumped in from various countries and look where we are today. I'm going to have to be a realist here and say we're wasting our resources on the unfixable. That money should remain in our home country to get the debt down, to care for our citizens. I think all countries should withold their aid funding and use it on themselves for their people and their own debt problems. All we are as first world nations is a bandage on a gaping wound. Even a doctor of many years knows when to give up.  India is a good example of wanting to get stronger. I can only see great things for the Indian people in the future. Not all nations are that willing to self-improve..for those nations, nature should take its course. If they die out, they weren't meant for this world. With trillions in aid over decades, there is no excuse for some countries.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
Re: Should aid stop?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »
I'm more or less like you Mooshi, and there are even reports that Africa's own economists say the foreign aid they receive is counter productive. Coruption funnels the money to a select few, and removes the incentive for Africans to improve their own life. You didn't mention one way or the other, but I am ok with humanitarian aid if a 3rd world county has some sort of natural disaster. I'm also ok with PRIVATE charities and organizations going over to help out since it's on their own dime. Plus they are more likely to go do work first hand, like teaching and building infrastructure, as opposed to us as a nation just saying "here's a big bag of money."

And now that I think about it, I may be ok with our government giving grants to some of those organizations doing first hand work like I mentioned. It would kinda be a case by case basis, but I'd bet that money would be put to better use than just handing it over to the foreign country.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »
Remindes me of that expression "You can't help others unless you can help yourself". As an American, I'd rather the government keep the money within the country to improve it. That massive debt is really embarassing..we can't keep playing super hero on credit. I'm fine with the PRIVATE sector doing whatever, too. It's their money. I am NOT ok with public funds (tax money) going to foreign countries. You mentioned the reason why. It's unaccountable money that leads to coruption. Instead of the money being used for its intended purpose, it's pocketed. Coruption happens at home too, but nowhere near the same scale. x_x

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »
I'm more or less like you Mooshi, and there are even reports that Africa's own economists say the foreign aid they receive is counter productive. Coruption funnels the money to a select few, and removes the incentive for Africans to improve their own life.

Pretty much this. At this point in time, with things going as terribly as they are; not just here, but all around the world, don't we have OURSELVES to be worrying about, rather than third world countries that can barely make it on their own?

Like Narei said, private charities are fine by me, because that's their own business. I know how harsh I sound here, sorry..The phrase 'people are starving in Africa' has always driven me insane.

I have nothing against these countries. I love African culture, music, and all sorts of other things. I just believe that Our own country should be worrying about ourselves, right now.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 01:46:12 pm »
Media is always putting a spin like no one is helping these countries. What they often fail to report about in those sappy infomercials is the money that "mysteriously" vanishes that was sent in the form of foreign aid by several countries. I'm sure the same people also like to believe that people like Bill Gates likes to cackle like an evil villan in his fortress of Microsoft when in reality, he donates a lot of money to charities. :P It's not us who are the problem, it's their corrupt government and lack of assertiveness to put the aid they receive to good use. One of my uncles has a farm..is it honestly that hard to teach people how to grow their own food? D:

Offline Drake Blackpaw

• Male
    • http://www.drakebp.furtopia.org/
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »
I didn't vote in the poll because my answer is in between the two.  For one thing, I don't think aid should stop to countries like Haiti where it is to help them overcome a natural disaster.  As for other countries, our aid needs to be rethought to see if it: Is effective in helping who it is suppose to help, and/or does it further our political interests?  In furthering our political interests, I mean does it get us military access that we wouldn't have, access to natural resources we wouldn't have or provide us with leverage that is needed to help us get something we want.  We should look at the money we give to the Middle East, African nations, and the Israel to see if it is effective.

If reducing all aid would make a dent in the deficit, I'd be more inclined to say do it, but it isn't.  We don't give a significant amount of revenue brought in as aid to other countries.  Unfortunately, anything that doesn't hurt to eliminate, and I include foreign aid in this, will not make a sizable dent in the deficit.  The majority of our spending goes to three things; Military, Social Security, and Medicare/medicaid.  The so called non-discretionary spending. 

This is going off topic a bit and should probably start a thread when I get a chance, but I thought the senators and congressman on the deficit committee that voted against the proposal were cowards and did us all a disservice.  The plan should have gone to congress for a full debate.  There is no pain free way to ending the deficit and it is something that needs be tackled sooner than later.

Offline Mooshi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »
,Funny you should mention Haiti..

Cholera ignites fear, murder in Haiti
Port-Au-Prince, Haiti - Terror over a fast-spreading cholera
 epidemic has triggered a violent witch-hunt in rural Haiti in
 which locals have murdered at least 12 neighbors on
 accusations they used "black magic" to infect people, police
 said Thursday.

The fast-killing infection is new to Haiti, and there is
widespread confusion and fear about the disease. In less
 than six weeks since the first case was confirmed in the
 country's rural center, nearly 1,900  Hatians have died and more
 than 84,000 have been infected.

Rumors began to spread last week in the remote
southwestern Grand Anse region, where the first cases of cholera are only now being seen -

(A newspaper entry)

There is also the alarming cases of abandoned children..Haiti is a lost cause. Attacking the UN who are trying to help them, witch hunt murders and orphaned kids. No amount of money can change attitude.

UPDATE: www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-07/un-assessing-report-haiti-cholera-outbreak-started-at-peacekeepers-camp.html

So it was linked back to the UN. Even so, it's suicidle to wall off any chance of medical supplies to rectify the situation. This also supports my stance on barring aid because then the UN would't have been there in the first place.,,
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:17:44 pm by Mooshi »

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:00 pm »
I misread the title as "Should AIDS stop?".
That will be all.
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »
That will be all.
Thanks for sharing.  >.>

I think one shouldn't have to look past Rwanda to know to utterly useless the UN has made itself at times.

Offline Shabbernigdo

• Species: Sergal
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:07 am »
yes. F every one except our allies.    once we have no poor / homeless etc etc then we can entertain the thought of helping others.
For all the grammar/spellin Nazis
Yur just mad cuz u kant speel as gud as mee,

Offline Serra Belvoule

• Holder of the Cookie Jar!
  • Male
    • Serra's Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 04:33:51 pm »
That will be all.
Thanks for sharing.  >.>
That's what i do ;)

And yeah, I think people should focus on other things now
I ate a bag of grapes and now I own the world.

Offline Mr. Apple

• Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »
I believe that giving foreign aid gets the country used to being cared for. They need to grow on their own or else be a territory of the aiding country. It's pretty much the same thing as welfare. Of course, in my opinion.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."

DA: http://x13killer.deviantart.com/
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/x13killer/