furry games and gaming discussions > furry role-playing

RP Help Desk

<< < (5/6) > >>

Jacoby Quinn:
could a character with a well rounded ability, suited for both combat AND problem solving be considered overpowered for the simple fact that they rely heavily on this ability?

if you have the choice between toolbox or multi tool, the multi tool is obviously better right?

so are they overpowered because they chose a problem solving ability rather than a combat ability?

Mylo:

--- Quote from: whtwolf on August 08, 2013, 10:52:14 am ---could a character with a well rounded ability, suited for both combat AND problem solving be considered overpowered for the simple fact that they rely heavily on this ability?

if you have the choice between toolbox or multi tool, the multi tool is obviously better right?

so are they overpowered because they chose a problem solving ability rather than a combat ability?

--- End quote ---

I would imagine that's for the Gamemaster to decide.

HazardJackal:
As i'm starting a new RP that i have been planing for awhile now, i'd like to ask a few questions, as i don't want this one to do a faceplant right out of the gate (as most my others have) especially a failure based around rules; therefor i want to make sure everything checks out.

Now, I'd assume that it would be acceptable to have a Yoda-like character, one who is very powerful and a master at their craft, under the control of the DM.  For example: Archen, the wise raccoon, master of fire magic, among other things.  His role however, is not as a player, or part of a party of adventurers, but as the quest giver, advice giving type.  

And what about having a party of heroes of mixed skill levels?  Such as having Rhasken, an expert sneak and warrior, along with Gnargle, the former miner who is has no weapon training or knowledge, and fights purely on instinct.  Having these two together is acceptable, yes?

I'm also assuming that a ridiculously powerful boss-type character is acceptable, for a boss battle situation.  There are no rules against this, are there?

Another thing, could a character's skills be based on die rolls? (Rhasken for example, started out as random fodder, but he rolled three 20s in row [not kidding, me and my friends were almost speechless] which we translated into him not just being incredible luck, but also having some real skill. [which increased even further when he rolled yet another 20 later on]) Well, for that matter, are dice even allowed? I know many of the RPers are opposed to it, but could i still use them as DM?

One last thing, are there any restrictions on the level of realism in an RP, as in how much luck can influence events, and how much could you stretch a character's relative durability? (As in, could a character barely scrape by death) I've had some squabbles about this before, and i was wondering if it was a rule or just a preference.
Thank you.

Alsek:
The GM can do what-ever they want really.  The thing with having a yoda-like character,  wise and extremely powerful,  is that they can steer a story in the right direction if used subtly,  but overuse them and the rest of the players are not going to have any fun.  I point to Yoda himself as an example.  Even though he's extremely wise,  masterful at his arts,  and very, very powerful,  he doesn't go himself to fight Vader.  He attempts to train Luke.

I would suggest using them in passing if you use them at all and use them to set up a plot device rather than your protaginist.  If you decide to use such a character as you main character,  consider limiting their power.

Having an overarching evil enemy is also a fantastic idea,  but it's a good idea to introduce the character as, "The main Villian."  A lot of times when you introduce the main villain to inexperienced players they'll just asume the character is a jerk but nothing particularly special and something they can take on their own.  You will want to make sure the other roleplayers are on the same page the the character is,  in fact,  the main villain,  and that all of your characters will need to work in tandem to take him down.

I would not advise playing only the main villain.  If you're going to play the main enemy,   make sure you're also playing a friendly character trying to fight him.  Otherwise,  people may acuse you of using the villain to God-mod or power-play.

Furtopia does not have any specific regulations on how you set up your game in regards to things like dice rolls,  but personally,  i would never use such a system.  For one,   it would be strictly on the honor system,  and we all know that there will always be at least one person who takes advantage of this when it suits them.  Rather,  i would stress that players are not pitting, "Their character," against other characters, "To win."  What they are doing is working on a story together and that sometimes letting your character lose a battle,  or even die is better for the story than their character always winning.

Realism is up to the GM.  GMs are responsible for controlling this sort of thing.  Personally,  when I GM,  I expect people to maintain a certain level of realism.  Of course characters in these games tend to be a bit more durable than the, "Average Joe," but that does not make them Godlike.  If someone takes a few bullets to the chest,  they had better not go for a jog or start fighting people in their next post.  Allowing your character to go through struggles and have hard times is a large part of the fun of playing them.

NO ONE likes a Marry Sue.

Your character doesn't have every skill in existance.
Your character should have flaws and weaknesses.
Your character is not invincible.
Your character does not always have to get what the character wants... (It's usually more interesting when they DON'T)

And most importantly: More than any setting,  special quirks,  gimmicks,  powers,  or whether or not they, "Win,"    What will make or break a game is how convincingly characters interact with one another.   The dialog,   the conflict,  the companionship,  the struggle,  the emotion...  THAT is what makes the game fun,  and what will make a game worth playing.  It should seem like real people talking with one another... Fighting,  and loving one another.  If you can do that?  The game is made.

HazardJackal:
If i were to do what was essentially a single-player RP, would it go here, Furry Role-Playing, or to Furry Story Telling?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version