Author Topic: Foods/Recipes to help fight colds and flu.  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Foods/Recipes to help fight colds and flu.
« on: December 22, 2013, 04:40:11 pm »
Anybody know of some good foods and recipes to help fight off and prevent colds and flu?

*crawls back under a pile of blankets*  x_x

Offline Mylo

Re: Foods/Recipes to help fight colds and flu.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »
Pickles are good if you get dehydration as a result of cold/flu.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:01 am »
Chicken soup. It's magic. Can soup is evil and it's magic is bad.  :)

Needed things and starting point.
I start with thighs. Just the thighs, not the thigh and leg pieces. Leave the skin on. Set them in a backing pan in the oven at 350 with the skin up. Uncovered. The idea here is not to cook them threw. Just get them started so the soup wont take hours to cook. Get these in the oven before starting the rest of the soup. You don't have to salt or season them. Wont hurt if you do but you don't have to.

If you don't want to or are unsure about cooking chicken get a rotisserie chicken from Walmarts or any other place that sells them. Cut up as much as you want to add to the soup.

One stalk of celery. Clean it and cut it up.
One large onion or two depending on how much you like them. Tip to keep your eyes clear. When cutting the onion keep the knife wet. The water will react with the chemicals in the onion before they can get air born.
One bag of carets. Skin em and cut them up.

Note to the wise. Veggies you cut up yourself will have a better overall sweetness and favor. YES it's worth the effort. It makes a sweet and better tasting soup.

Other vegetables of choice. I like peas, corn and green beans. Frozen not canned.

More needed things

Spices.
Poultry spice is EVIL. It's 90% weeds ( parsley ) and a mixed bag of real stuff. It's cheap for a reason.
Get.
Sage.
Rosemary.
Thyme.
Garlic.
Salt.
Pepper.
Bay leaf.

Oil of choice. I like olive oil. Any cooking oil is good. Don't use straight butter or margarine. They burn at a low temp and will make the soup taste bad.
Let's get this party started.
Cut up your celery, unions and carets and put them all in a large bowel.
Put some heat under a large pot and add your oil of choice. Dump in the veggies you cut up. Cook these down till they're wilted. Once wilted add your other veggies of choice and cover with water. Add your spices. For me? I like it heavy on the spice so I dump in a good table spoon of each except the bay leaf. Two or three of them do just fine. Salt and pepper. You'll have to add them by taste if you haven't cooked before. DO NOT  taste uncooked chicken. If your unsure about how much salt to add wait till everything is completely cooked. Then taste and add salt as needed.

Take the mostly cooked chicken out of the oven. Pull off and discard the skin. They will be hot so be careful. Cut each piece up into chunks and add to soup. I add the thigh bone as well. Adds a great flavor! These can be pulled out later. If your using rotisserie chicken add it now. Cover and let cook till all the veggies are soft.

Don't use the liquid left in the pan you cooked the chicken in. This will be really fatty and greasy. If you would like to add it. Set it in a bowel and let it cool completely in the icebox. Scrape the grease off the top and put the broth in a pan. Cook it for a boil to make sure it's completely done. Stir so you don't burn it. Add this to your soup.

You end up with a BIG pot of really healthy chicken soup. If your really under the weather just drink the broth. it will have enough flavor in the veggies and chicken. You can add water to if if needed. When the magic of home made chicken soup starts to work start eating it all!

Here's a free tip for those sick enough to be blowing chunks. You do not have to suffer from dry heaves. Drink a LOT of water.  Keep drinking a lot of water till things settle down completely. You WILL thank me.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Amarok

• Male
    • Brandless
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:16 am »
Eating healthy normally keeps you healthy.
eat lots of fruits and vegetables!!

if you have a cold drink camomile tea with honey

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »
To prevent colds/flu one needs to get plenty of rest, and eat good
foods.

Though not feasible when you have to work, one should stay away from
those who already have colds/flu. (Don't forget that flu-shot. This rabbit
never does.)

If all that fails and it usually does eventually.

Chicken soup is generally good for you.
But drink orange juice instead of Dew. :orbunny: Get plenty of rest and
drink plenty of fluids.. Viruses have to run their course once they start.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:23:53 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Aloneness

• Species: Hella Gay Wolf
  • Великий ведра огонь!
  • Female
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:35:38 pm »
*Has never had a flu shot, and just eats good food* I've not been sick aside from maybe 1 or 2 days having allergies in the past 3 or so years.
Ren's Translation Note:
Konnichiwa = Hello, Nani = What?, Великий ведра огонь! = Great Buckets of Fire!

Avi by Haru

Offline Anivia0

• Male
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 01:46:04 am »
Next time you're sick, try the following!

1 anjou pear
1 cubic inch of ginger
60 ml honey
2 cups of water
1 cinnamon stick

1: Cut pear in half
2: Grate ginger
3: Toss everything into a large pot and boil until pear is tender

You get a really nice drink for a gloomy day, but the pear tastes good too :3

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:00 am »
Locked due to gravedigging.

If it has been six months or more since the last post in a topic, please make a new thread about it.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#