Author Topic: Actual Derpy Figurine  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Leeseetsa

• La, la, la~
  • Female
Re: Actual Derpy Figurine
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »
-spazz of joy- ajfhpoiabvpwougbpaojsnbg[paouwgaojwvbpaorubv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Hey, I have a DA:
http://leeseetsa.deviantart.com/

Never give up, everything you do has a reason; Never feel alone, there's always something there with you; Never feel defeated and dim, there's always a spark inside you

Offline Fuchsia Puff

• Oh my gosh, it's so sparkly!
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

I'm seriously considering buying this. I don't have any pony merchandise besides two shirts (one that says "Brony" with a stallion silhouette on it and one with Rarity that says "Oh, it is on!"), two button pins (one with Spike and one with Derpy's eyes along with the text "I just don't know what went wrong", and a sticker or two (one with Gummy trying to bite/suck on Pinkie Pie's head), so this would make a good figurine to put on display. <3 :)

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:52:51 pm »
You can bet all your bits these things are going to sell out immediately.  I just hope someone in Hasbro marketing notices the connection.

This toy might even be enough to turn me into a merch buyer...
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:05:18 pm »
*steals all the Derpy figurines, then resells them on ebay for 20x the original price*  :D

Offline Landrav

• Flufftaur
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:16 pm »
*steals all the Derpy figurines, then resells them on ebay for 20x the original price*  :D
Unfortunately, that's probably not too far from the truth of what will happen!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/landrav/

I am contractually obliged to state that Fluttershy is the best pony.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
Unfortunately, that's probably not too far from the truth of what will happen!

This is VERY true. Well, maybe.

I get the impression that since the are 'special edition' for Comic-Con, that they will only be available there, and never again, to Comic-Con goers. So this will kinda depend on how they handle it there. If they only allow a maximum of one Derpy per guest, it could cut down significantly on the number that are re-sold later. Then again, if they do it this way, there will be FAR fewer available to those who couldn't attend, which will drive prices that much higher...

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »
A long time ago, I used to go to a comic and toy store in my area that I had bought comics and collectible card games from. I knew the owner pretty well too. From all the times that I visited the store and talked to the guy, He could get his hands on just about almost any rare toy you wanted. It wouldn't be cheap and it may or may not be MIB (Mint in Box), but this guy had connections and he knew where to find and get hard-to-find items.  8) I'm not kidding either. The guy was really good. I bought from him a long time ago a 12-14 inch tall Star Wars Boba Fett action figure doll that is Mint-in-Box. Can't remember what I paid for it, but I think between $45-75.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:43:56 am »
Ok, now Hasbro is just screwing with us. You know they are fully aware of just how insanely popular that figurine would be. They are just taunting us by making it such a limited edition for $20. At least take advantage of that and spike the price. I'm sure if they sold them for $500 each, they'd still have no trouble selling them all. They may even be able to pull in a full grand each. What they're doing with this doesn't make sense to me.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »
If they were mass-produce this, everybody would be happy. They'd make a ton of money, everybody would be able to get one, and sales would go up with Bronies for sure.

No Bronies are interested in buying any of the Rainbow Dash recolors. We all, however, want Derpy Hooves.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 11:59:43 pm »
Ok, now Hasbro is just screwing with us. You know they are fully aware of just how insanely popular that figurine would be. They are just taunting us by making it such a limited edition for $20. At least take advantage of that and spike the price. I'm sure if they sold them for $500 each, they'd still have no trouble selling them all. They may even be able to pull in a full grand each. What they're doing with this doesn't make sense to me.

From the article, I also get the feeling that this 'special edition pony' thing is something that they do every year for the convention. It just so happens that this year they picked Derpy. Well, more than just coincidence of course. This way they can essentially guarantee that these things sell out. And probably very fast, too.

Sure, they probably could put these up for much more than $20 and still sell them out. But honestly, that would just look bad. It would be blatantly taking advantage of their newer fanbase, and throwing the older fanbase under the bus. And yes, I'm sure there will be some that go to long-time fans and collectors as well, who aren't necessarily bronies.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:31:17 am »
I agree with you, which then begs the question: Why Derpy?  Why not some other nondescript pony that wouldn't be such a hot item? Isn't that how those things usually go? Make something unique, but not that much more in demand than the regular line.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:37:44 pm »
*brushes dust off this topic*

So, Comic-Con is over, and Derpy is now sold out (she briefly appeared in Hasbro's online store, only to be sold out there, too, within minutes).

Just out of curiosity, I checked ebay for Derpy. Seems she's going anywhere between $75 and $100, with some auctions nearing $130.

Offline Luku

• "Tell 'em I said something cool."
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »
Screw that. It's a great toy, and I want it badly, but if you spend $130 on a tiny plastic pony you're an idiot.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »
Screw that. It's a great toy, and I want it badly, but if you spend $130 on a tiny plastic pony you're an idiot.

My thoughts exactly. And I know a lot of work goes into some of the fan-made plushes, and some are simply amazing quality. But I can't blow $500+ on one pony plush... I felt bad enough spending the $30 or so on the 3-box set that I did buy...

Anyhow, if I had happened to catch her while she was still in stock on Hasbro's web shop, I probably would have jumped on it (retail value was $20).

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 06:29:53 pm »
Reselling is a good thing if you really want one.   I don't want one,   but 130 is still cheaper than the cost of attending comic con and buying one would have been.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:16 pm »
So, if you still want a Derpy and don't want to pay 5-6 times the retail price, apparently Hasbro keeps putting a few more up randomly. Apparently, they're catching people who ordered multiple for one address, and putting those back up. They seem to sell out almost immediately, but if you're lucky, maybe you'll catch their store right after they offer up a few more.

I really wish she weren't a brushable, but because it is Derpy, I would probably make an exception if I happened to catch her for sale in the store.