Author Topic: CatDetective's Art Thread  (Read 2784 times)

Offline CatDetective

• Species: Cat
CatDetective's Art Thread
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »
Starting out my art thread here with a couple pieces...

This watercolor was done about six months back as part of an illustrative art project, suggested by an old art teacher;

Some rough sketches of a mouse girl, loosely based on Hujoo's Phoebe mouse doll;

I've got to sort through all my art before I can add more here, but it's a start.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
Re: CatDetective's Art Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:23 am »
Those are cute fox characters in your first drawing.

I look forward to seeing more of your art. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline CatDetective

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:35:54 am »
Thank you!

I've got some buns--

This one is from a couple months back, I'm sure, but I couldn't say anything more exact than that.

Probably from around the same time, a non-anthro El-Ahrairah

And an older pencil sketch with some floppy ears.

I've also got a character ref sheet of an old fox OC, Claudia;

A bat girl;

And a swamp monster boy;

Swamp monster boy and bat girl were both from October as part of a drawing-a-day thing.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:22:50 pm »
A cute design in the first picture.

The foxes look nice too. The clothing turned out
well on them.

They all look good.

Thanks for sharing. :orbunny:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:26:13 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline CatDetective

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:47 pm »
Thank you!

And... cats today!

Sketches from a while back, inspired by some piece of art I was looking at at the time, I think. Not like a redraw, more like I was just looking at a lot of similar stuff that wasn't necessarily cats.

One of the first drawings in my latest toned sketchbook! I love working on toned paper and adding in the highlights with white...

Sporty tiger girl in colored pencil. I think she was in the previous toned sketchbook, not this one, because it looks like I was adding in the white with colored pencil rather than gel pen, which would make it an older piece... Inspiration taken from Toralei Stripe.

Another from October! Regular inking pen, white gel pen, and three copics used.

Offline The Wise one

• Bro
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:36:34 pm »
I really love what I'm seeing here. Keep up the good work!
Check out my Deviantart if you wanna http://kimberlinphotography.deviantart.com/

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:00:38 am »
These are all very nice, but the one that stands out for me is El-Ahrairah, because I'm a huge "Watership Down" fan. I like how you represented the starlight in his ears :).

DA         FA

Offline Rufure

• Species: Tanuki/Cat
  • professional yawner
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »
I really like all of these! Though I'm not sure of the specific artsy terms, I think you do a good job of giving a sense of motion? I just like the flow of your work, especially the mouse girls up towards the top.

I am also a big fan of your pen work on toned paper down towards the bottom. ^ ^ I also really love working on darker paper.

Hope to see more! o w o
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:40:24 pm by Rufure »
残念ながらSAFEでした
"Too bad, you got a safe."

°˖✧ Project Diva Addict ✧˖°

Hit me up for my Telegram/LINE/3DS Friend Code.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
Cute kitty characters.. Nicely drawn too. :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline CatDetective

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 03:35:18 am »
(whew, glad the art threads are exempt from the gravedigging rule-- I've been away from the forums a long time! I've just moved house and started getting back to things... and I've done some art recently)

Playing around with character design and concept for this girl-- she's like a D&D-style rogue/bard character, Turkish Van-esque catgirl, white with ginger patches. Basically a fursona/RPG character for myself. Unlike my regular 'sona, she doesn't wear glasses.

First sketches, trying to figure out what kind of costume she wears. She has a little harp/lyre, and a bag of holding, and a jingle bell (which she pretends ALWAYS makes noise if she's moving around, but she absolutely can move without jingling, when stealth is required... it just makes her seem more trustworthy when she has it on). She didn't look fluffy enough in early sketches, but I did get her fur pattern roughed out early on.

Tried her in dressier costumes as well... but I think a long, heavy dress would have to be for formal occasions only-- it would get in the way on adventures. A short-skirted frilly costume would work well while performing, but I feel like shorts/bloomers/leather breeches work best for dungeoneering adventures... Not that she needs to wear clothes at all, but I think it makes species who do need to wear clothes more comfortable.

After some messing around and looking at inspiration/reference pics, I worked out how to make her look properly fluffy.

... this one came out looking a little more 'alluring' than I think is right for her character, but I love corsets as costume pieces, and am really into 18c corsets at the moment, in particular, so I wanted to draw her in something like that. But I think a moment after striking this pose, she's probably doubled over in snorting laughter at how ridiculous it feels.

And here she is working off a tavern debt by waitressing, because she likes to EAT.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 12:44:51 pm »
Glad to see you posting your art again.

Thanks for sharing and looking good. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline CatDetective

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 06:35:50 am »
Thank you so much, Old Rabbit. I've had a rough night and appreciate the kind words more than I can say.

The only other remotely furry-related art I've done lately has been painting some small cat dolls, which wouldn't really belong here, I don't think... but I hope that over the next couple of days, I will be able to complete something inked and colored.

Offline Holt5

• Species: Artistic theologian-philosopher
  • Male
    • My home base!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 06:59:51 am »
They look really good - I like your more freehand kind of style. Kinda reminds me of the process I use, just starting with some basic forms and doing the rest of it by eye. It's not "trying to be something else" it has its own sense of self - it looks natural.
"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you will end up not doing anything for anybody." - Malcolm Bane

Offline CatDetective

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 08:09:46 am »
Thank you very much! I think a lot of it is in learning how to look at things... some of it I credit to my art classes, and some of it I learned from other artists online who talk about their own process, and I guess most of it is really just continuing to sketch until a style comes out, but I'm glad that it works the way that it is!