Author Topic: Are your characters "you", or are they someone else entirely?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Are your characters "you", or are they someone else entirely?
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:48:58 pm »
Just curious, but when you draw your furry characters, are they a completely separate individual with their own unique/distinct personality, clothing style, and other attributes.

Or do you impart some of your own real life personality traits and attributes into your characters? And if you do, how much of their personality and other attributes is based off your real self?

Offline animagusurreal

• Finishing the Hat
  • Male
    • VividGroovy.com
Re: Are your characters "you", or are they someone else entirely?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:28:56 pm »
None of my characters are precisely me, which is why I wouldn't call any of them my fursona. However, some of them have major personality traits in common. Remi Vitoux the beaver represents my artistic obsession. Also, I modeled for him in one picture:

(Photos taken in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure.)

Ballad Quill the gryphon is the easiest to write for, because he often responds to things with a joke, and so do I. Dobes, the tough, intense super Doberman, who was raised in the Bronx and has military training, is probably the character who is least like me, at least among the good guys.

I did once have a character named Sondi-hain, who was basically supposed to be me in rabbit form, on a "Watership Down"-based RPG/continuing fanfic. I even made sure he didn't have any physical abilities that I didn't - he was not especially fast or strong and relied on his wits. However, even he diverged somewhat as he became second-in-command of a warren.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 07:54:26 am by animagusurreal »

DA         FA

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:27:41 am »
my "fursona" is just me with a different body structure. not a separate character just my preferred appearance (little annoying using the word fursona since it doesnt match too well, but meh closest i know of)

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:44:54 am »
When I first created Parker, he was a fragment of me. All my pain, at the time, drove the story that created him. Eventually, I hated it and then changed it. Now he is me with a bit more self-esteem and courage. Sam, created just recently, is the ideal version of me. They're so lovable and happy. I haven't quite figured out a gender for Sam, though. So they'll remain "they/them" for now.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline Taivana

• Species: Coyote
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 06:55:29 pm »
Taivana - my sona - is basically me, except livelier and possibly less shy. My other furry characters (of which at the moment there are four) are just characters I made for the fun of it. I just call them 'furry OC's'.
Awoo

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 08:28:03 pm »
Just curious, but when you draw your furry characters, are they a completely separate individual with their own unique/distinct personality, clothing style, and other attributes.

Or do you impart some of your own real life personality traits and attributes into your characters? And if you do, how much of their personality and other attributes is based off your real self?

Iara has bits and pieces of my personality--she is socially awkward, enjoys moments of solitude in Nature, loves to eat meat, and is more active during the day. Iara is definitely more like a bird than a human, though...she preens, bobs her head when she walks, chirrups and coos, squeals, and on occasion, takes bird baths. She doesn't actually speak--her language is a series of songs and calls, very different from humans in that respect. She also doesn't talk much, unlike me (I tend to put my foot in my mouth... :-[ Par for the course as a socially awkward being, I suppose...).

Moongaze's character still needs to be fleshed out...I have a vague idea of who she is...she is definitely a feline and female, but as far as feral vs anthro, I have yet to get her finalized.

ETA: Iara looks nothing like me irl...she has big pretty eyes, but that's about it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:58:46 am by Iara Warriorfeather »
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline TempleofDogs

• Species: Ursus , Canis , Aves , Bos, Felidae, etc; shifter.
  • I'm not what you want.
    • Dogs shop
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 09:32:03 pm »

To be fair, I have to say a lot of my 'sonas are based around me or off of inspiration, most actually have my style and different variations of it.
I am them and they are me. Pretty sure, I'll always nearly know what they are thinking, some of them bud off and develop off on their own while I watch and sometimes cringe in the distance.

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:04:00 pm »
Chipper is based on me. :)  I have only one anthro drawing of him thus far, but the first one I put him in a situation and in clothes I probably would wear.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »
My drawings are pretty much always a reflection of my personality.

Old Rabbit is a long eared fuzzy tailed furry version of me. :orbunny:

In a world that would accept such creatures I would be happy to
trade places with him.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:32:45 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline CatDetective

• Species: Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 03:16:55 am »
I have a lot of characters that aren't 'me', though I think my feelings and life experiences inform a lot of them in different ways, but I definitely have a few that are me-- I draw my main fursona a couple different ways, and have created fursonas for myself in other species that I like, but feel less strongly about than cats.

And then I have a new one that's somewhere between being my fursona and being a character I'd like to play if I ever got a tabletop RPG with furry characters up and running.