not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Gun control.

(1/11) > >>

Kobuk:
Another mass shooting in America has occured as described in this thread:
http://forums.furtopia.org/news-forum/40-50-killed-in-nightclub-terror-attack/

*sigh*   When will it end? Seems like hardly a day doesn't go by when somebody someplace in America is killing people for various reasons.  :P  IMO, America is the most violent country when it comes to gun crime/violence. Burglaries, Robberies, Bank holdups, Hostage situations, Carjackings, and so much more. But when we use them, whether for good or bad intentions, we often don't think of the consequences and ramifications of our actions that come afterwards. Seems to me the only thing most people care about is that a gun gives them protection. A gun gives them power. A gun can instill fear in your adversary. While that may be true for some things and/or some people or instances, there's another thing that a gun makes a person: When not used properly or in the wrong way, a gun makes you a killer.

It's true about that old phrase: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people.".  But apparently, our government and various authoritative agencies (Police, FBI, ATF, etc.) don't seem to understand this. For they keep establishing law after law after law, etc. to enforce more "gun control" on the American populace. While some laws, background checks, waiting lists, etc. may be necessary to keep certain individuals or groups from having firearms, too many laws and restrictions can have a detrimental effect and make the populace think the government is curtailing their Constitutional rights and freedoms, and that the government is "out to get them" so to speak. There needs to be a "balance" between owning and using a gun, and preventing guns from getting into the hands of the wrong people and having more gun violence. But where is this balance? How do we create it?

Where exactly does "gun control" lie? With the public or the government? How do we control the gun violence that is ravaging America?

IMO, gun control starts with the public. Once you have a gun in your hand, YOU control how that gun is used, where it is used, and whom or what it is used against. Control starts with learning about the gun. What it does, How it operates, What it should and should not be used for, etc.  When people buy, own, and use a gun, they need to learn about safety, take gun shooting classes, and above all, learn responsibility for owning and using a gun.

To give you an analogy, it's kinda like when you were a little kid playing with your toys. If you were playing with your toys badly or abusing them, your parents may have had to take them away from you until you learned how to play responsibly with them. The same could almost be said with guns. The United States Constitution gives Americans the right to bear arms. That is our constitutional right. We might have played with our "toys" (guns) responsibly during the early periods of America growing up. But as the years and decades wore on, we seemed to have lost responsibility for how we owned and used guns. And now we face the time where our parent (Federal Government) is shaking their finger at the public (Kids) and telling us that if we can't play with our toys responsibly, then they are going to take them away from us.........or at least make it harder for us to play with them.

As I said before, maybe "some" laws are necessary for gun control. But if we really want to have less gun control laws in this country and look better in the eyes of our parents (Federal Government), then we need to take it upon ourselves to act responsibly in how we own and use guns. By learning ourselves, and teaching and showing others how to safely handle guns, maybe we can get the Government to get off our backs and cut us a bit of slack, know what I mean? ;)

So in short, when it comes to gun control, I would be in favor of the following:
Mandatory gun safety/shooting classes regardless of what type of guns you have or how many. No exceptions to this rule.
Mandatory background checks.
Refusing gun sales to persons with histories/conditions of mental problems depending on the severeity of the condition.
Mandatory 6 month waiting period for immigrants to buy a gun. Especially a waiting period for those who come from the Middle East.

Foxpup:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on June 13, 2016, 12:13:23 pm ---Mandatory 3 month waiting period for purchasing of assault style weapons.

--- End quote ---
Assault "style" weapons? Tell me again how the visual appearance of a weapon makes a difference. For reference, actual assault rifles are already illegal without a federal permit.

--- Quote from: Kobuk on June 13, 2016, 12:13:23 pm ---Mandatory 6 month waiting period for immigrants to buy a gun. Especially a waiting period for those who come from the Middle East.

--- End quote ---
Kobuk, I'm ashamed of you. You forgot to say "I'm not racist, but..." >:(

Amducious:
^^^^

Exactly and the fact that just because something looks "scary" doesn't make it more powerful. It's like giving a knife a tactical look, and saying it's more sharp when a knife that's the same is no different.

Natura Wolf:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on June 13, 2016, 12:13:23 pm ---Another mass shooting in America has occured as described in this thread:
http://forums.furtopia.org/news-forum/40-50-killed-in-nightclub-terror-attack/

*sigh*   When will it end? Seems like hardly a day doesn't go by when somebody someplace in America is killing people for various reasons.  :P  IMO, America is the most violent country when it comes to gun crime/violence. Burglaries, Robberies, Bank holdups, Hostage situations, Carjackings, and so much more.

--- End quote ---

Apologise Kobuk, when it comes to USA I know yourself as a citizen has more knowledge and experience on the matter.  But most other countries have a lower terrorism rate due to mass gun control, or rather not having a gun at all.

I know the whole expression of 'Guns don't kill people, people do' but no matter how many times that is said, and how true it is, it is equally true that 'the gun helps'.

I was watching a few of the news reports and it is quoted that 'The owner of the shooting range where Orlando shooter Omar Mateen bought the handgun and semi-automatic used in the deadly rampage over the weekend says he bought both weapons legally and passed a thorough background check.'
http://time.com/4367592/orlando-shooting-gun-store-owner/

Guns are never about protection, that is a delusional expression to cover the simple fact that it is about power. 

I mean 15 times apparently something like this has happened in America in recent times, I know this again is from the media and there is always suspicion there, but at the same time i'm sorry to say most gun shooting incidents are either expected in/near a war zone or in America.   Yet your defending guns like you'd defend a puppy.

In honesty however I don't know what America is going to do because you already have so many weapons and guns and no one is going to drop them because the law says so.  The right to bear arms is apparently an amendment right?  First two syllables spell amend meaning 'make minor changes to (a text, piece of legislation, etc.) in order to make it fairer or more accurate, or to reflect changing circumstances.'

I'm with Obama, how many people need to die while you defend saying the guns were innocent and it's the people, when both are guilty parties, one for the use and the other for the design.

The course of action comes from both the cooperation of the government and the citizens, especially since guns are everywhere in America legally so it's not like any change is going to be easy.  But simple fact is guns are designed to kill, and as far as people are concerned, it only takes something to tick them off, drugs, high levels of stress, discrimination, bullying/being bullied, financial bankruptcy, mental destabilisation, probably more.  But one garentee is no one anywhere can garentee that they would always and forever use their gun safety, responsibly and legally

Amducious:

If America could develop a gun culture like Switzerland it would work. The crime rate is low there and guess what? They all own guns and are required to train with them.

http://people.duke.edu/~gnsmith/articles/myths.htm Also here's some good facts about why gun control doesn't work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version