not-so-furry discussion > debate forum

Life risk for our Police.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Old Rabbit:
It is true many people are disrespectful when confronted by the police.  Part of Police training
is dealing with being called anything but a human. Those who can't handle it usually are not
accepted. Unfortuantly small police departments sometimes get people that want to be in law
enforcement, but don't know how to handle the public or even care. One bad policeman can
cause poor public relations. Especially with minorities who often don't trust the police anyway.

Unfortuantly some people grow up never being taught to respect others in society much less
the police.

I think part of the problem is due to non communication. Many people never talk to an policeman
unless they break the law or due to a driving infraction. It would be nice if more people were
exposed to the police in a friendly arrangment. Get to know them. I have found most of them are
really nice people. They have a tough job, and deserve our respect, and a kind word now and then.

The police don't walk a beat these days, too much area to cover with too few policemen. It's
likely we will need more in the future.

Kobuk:
I heard about this story on FB yesterday, then decided to dig up an article about it.
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/aug/09/driver-24-dies-trooper-injured-in-head--1/#/

Then I read a post made by someone on FB who commented about the officer's actions. I removed a few words from the quoted text below.

--- Quote ---This Morning, Arkansas State Trooper 1st Class Moomey hit a drunk driver head on, on purpose. The drunk was speeding the wrong way on the interstate, obviously posing a grave danger to others.
The drunk is dead, the Trooper is barely hanging on. What the trooper did was make a deliberate, informed decision to stop a threat despite a very low chance of survival for himself.
He quite literally put himself between innocents and a threat.
Cop haters are cowards that don't do jack ...... for anyone but themselves. They don't stop drunks, they don't help society. They don't protect innocents from criminals. They sure as hell don't keep a scene secure for me to do my thing.
This is why cop haters can ..........
You don't know service or sacrifice. Rot in hell, ..........

--- End quote ---

Chipper Blu-wolf:
I'll be sure to share that one facebook post about the good that cops do for the general good.  Many people forget that cops often go to work everyday, and they have families and friends too, and they do this job not necessarily knowing what's in store or if they'll come home that night.  Its a dangerous job; far more dangerous than the majority of jobs that employ us in the country.  That's why they deserve respect for what they do everyday. :)

--- Quote ---I think part of the problem is due to non communication. Many people never talk to an policeman
unless they break the law or due to a driving infraction. It would be nice if more people were
exposed to the police in a friendly arrangment. Get to know them. I have found most of them are
really nice people. They have a tough job, and deserve our respect, and a kind word now and then.
--- End quote ---

I agree with this too.  If people never see a cop in a positive light, they tend not to think of them as anything but negative because they know no different.

Kobuk:

--- Quote ---I think part of the problem is due to non communication. Many people never talk to an policeman
--- End quote ---

My grandpa was a Policeman for 28 years. If I'm not too mistaken, he would spend times "walking the beat" so to speak. What that means is walking the streets, meeting people, visiting shop owners, etc.  Basically, just "getting to know" people. Nowadays, Police don't do that anymore, if at all. The only times you see Police walking the beat is in old tv shows or movies like ADAM-12, The Andy Griffth Show, or some other obscure series.

Kobuk:
Why do Police "shoot-to-kill"?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/us/why-police-shoot-to-kill/index.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version