Author Topic: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)  (Read 60673 times)

Offline Shim

• Male
Re: MLP:FiM Season 2 Discussion (WARNING! Spoilers Within!)
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05:41 am »
That popcorn with chocolate rain looked pretty good.  :D

Why would you want to stop this!? It's raining chocolate!

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 04:40:37 am »
So after listening to a podcast talking about such things, I'm trying to decide my speculative angle on Discord. Some options:

Discord is more of a troll than Celestia and just having some fun with no true lasting ill will
He's a true villan wishing to disrupt Equestria, kinda like how NMM wanted (mostly because he showed his anger when Fluttershy trolled him back)
One suggestion I heard was he and Celestia are in cohoots to teach the ponies a lesson

I dunno. I think I'm gonna have to watch it a second time through to really look at everything. Off hoof, I'm leaning that he's going to go the way of NMM. He's consumed by an evil energy that needs to be broken. Then he'll become more or less normal again. Problem with that, is it would be too much of a re-hash of the first two episodes. Actually, with how "Q" like he is, I would almost bet he'll follow something like ST:TNG's story line of Q, where this is a trial of sorts that he'll judge. It's been long enough since TNG that they could easily use a similar line without affecting their target audience much and perhaps much of the Brony community too. Then have him pop in here and there during the season to troll about.

Also, I know where you live.
Also also, waiting for another "Dumb Rock" comment from Rarity.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 04:47:29 am »
A little something I made..

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »
I'm a bit sad that Pinkie's hair didn't deflate when Discord got her.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:54 pm »
Well she was just angry and not demented. :P

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 12:40:57 pm »
Not posting this on the adult references thread because it would risk being a spoiler, but I wonder if they got the maze idea from the movie "Labyrinth"?

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 02:38:01 pm »
I don't know if I should feel special, but I found an animation error. If it's been spotted already, I can at least say I found it on my own. :P

Tisk tisk. Not even 90 seconds into the new season too. :D

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55:29 pm »
Looks like pinky isn't as pink as she should be.  

But if it's the little group of ponies at the beginning it's not
pinky.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:02:15 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 03:02:57 pm »
Looks like pinky isn't as pink as she should be.  :D
Nope, Pinky isn't in that pic. That's Twist in the background and she has a blank flank. She used to be, but got her cutie mark in the first season.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Twist

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 03:09:45 pm »
Good catch. I imagine many others will notice too.  :D
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 03:16:47 pm »
Nice catch there Narei. :D

BLANK FLANK! :D :D :D
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 04:45:40 pm »
Yeah, no denying that one. But the look on Sweetie Belle's face... the combination of the animation style and simply how expressive they made the characters makes for some rather awkward expressions if you pause it on a single frame.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »
Just watched it again, and it's even more fun the second time around.  I absolutely loved Fluttershy's smile when Discord was trying to get to her.  She loved and tolerated the (yay!) outta him!   :D
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:22 pm »
This confuses me. Can anypony explain what this means?

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/confirmed-gap-between-discord-and.html
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 04:27:07 pm »

It means that for whatever reason, they decided to put in a gap. Probably a marketing ploy for ratings or something so they can skip a week or so with re-runs and still have higher numbers. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »

It means that for whatever reason, they decided to put in a gap. Probably a marketing ploy for ratings or something so they can skip a week or so with re-runs and still have higher numbers. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I agree.. It's all about rateings.. 

Hopefully they didn't reduce the number of
episodes for season 2..   
oldrabbit.com

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »
Nope, they confirmed I think 26, including the 2 hold overs from Season 1 that didn't air. That's a heck of a lot for that kind of show.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 05:36:07 pm »
*impatient*

Is the second episode here yet?

*grabs Kalo and snarls* MAKE IT HURRY UP AND GET HERE!  :goldpissed:

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 07:18:03 pm »
*impatient*

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 09:54:50 pm »
*impatient*

*smirks and smiles at Kobuk*
Not easy when you need your pony fix is it? Have you tried watching some of the first season episodes? Or maybe browse youtube for some Q videos? Also you can try visiting Equestria Daily and perusing some of the drawfriend posts, PMVs and believe it or not there is some good fan fiction out there. :)

C'mon everypony, Kobuk needs our help. He's picked quite a dangerous time to join the herd. You know how it is when you're new to the series, yu feel that compulsion for the new. We had to get by with watching the first season in mare-athons but he's been brought in on the epic-ness of the second seasons start. So lets not have any picking. :)

*gives Kobuk a custom Discord figurine to stave off his shakes*
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 11:34:08 am »
I have watched the "Return of Harmony Part 1" episode a few times through now (I am ever more rapidly spiraling downwards into Bronydom, I know) and here are some of my own personal thoughts about it:

First of all, I've tried, but I can't help but shake the opinion that this storyline is too much of a rehash of the Season 1 opening story, "Friendship is Magic" parts 1 and 2.  I know that I am not the only person here who has picked up on this.  Even worse, I feel that the season 1 opening story involving taking down a villain with the Elements of Harmony was *much* better-- it setup the locations, characters, and mood for the series very well, etc.  Unfortunately, the plot of the new episode "Return of Harmony - Part 1" really gives me the impression of "here we go again" far more than it makes me think that the series is going somewhere new and exciting that I haven't seen before.  On top of that, the overall tone of this episode seems somewhat darker than any other episode that I think that I have seen for this series-- it doesn't really seem to quite fit with the overall bright and warm tone that all of season 1 had, and I have to wonder if some of the more creepy elements like the talking apple piles, the mocking balloon garden, and the creepier than usual music soundtrack might be a bit off-putting to the youngest viewers that this show is supposed to be targeted at.  The original villain Nightmare Moon and her antics weren't really all that dark or imposing by comparison.  I am not saying that MLP:FiM shouldn't have a more serious lot every now and then, but as I said before the more foreboding tone of this episode just doesn't seem to quite fit with the tone of the episodes from season 1.

Also, as of this moment anyway, I am not sure if I am really pleased with the new villain, Discord.  I have nothing against the voice actor John de Lancie or his performance-- those were fine, and I did enjoy him back in the day when he played "Q" on ST:TNG.  Instead, the two things that I don't like about Discord are his (lack) of motivations for being evil, and the fact that he seems to be all-powerful.  To explain my first point, I absolutely hate villains that are evil just for the sake of it.  I usually view the world as shades of gray instead of just in black-and-white, so I like my heroes to have a little bit of dark in them, my villains to have a little bit of light in them, and for the villains to actually have a reason for doing the evil that they do instead of just doing evil to be evil.  For example, back when Princess Luna became Nightmare Moon, she wasn't originally evil, and her turn to darkness wasn't an overnight transformation.  Instead, she slowly became more and more upset that the ponies of Equestria enjoyed and were grateful for the daytime that her sister brought, but slept through and were unappreciative of the nights that she brought.  This resentment grew and turned to jealousy, and finally caused her to turn against her sister, who she focused her bitterness against.  Add that to the fact that Nightmare Moon was imprisoned in the moon by her sister for a thousand years, and there is some real motivation there as to why she would want to seek revenge against her sister and wreck everything that her sister had built.  And as horrible as that is, Nightmare Moon wasn't inherently evil-- she was just a pony that let her jealousy and bitterness consume her.  That is a very human backstory, and you can relate to it.  Who here hasn't felt spurned by someone who upstaged them at some point in their lives?  I don't think that the same can be said for Discord.  Sure, you can say that he is also resentful for being imprisoned for thousands of years and displayed as some kind of trophy in a garden, but that doesn't explain why he was originally evil and had to be imprisoned to begin with.  I hope that they delve a little more into his backstory in part 2, because villains that are evil only for the sake of it are rather one-dimensional characters.  As far as I'm concerned it's the villains that make the story, and I would like Discord to turn out to be an engaging one.

For my second point, as far as why I don't like Discord being seemingly all-powerful is because having a seemingly invincible foe often causes an unresolvable conflict for the heroes, and that can lead to the use of deus ex machina plot devices as a cheap way to resolve that conflict.  For example, I don't want to see the situation against Discord look utterly hopeless for the ponies until all of a sudden there is an unexpected and convenient appearance of a brand new powerful event, character, ability, or object that somehow defeats Discord and saves the day-- that can be rather unimaginative.  If your villains have human weaknesses and flaws on the other hand, you don't need to resort to deus ex machinas to resolve things-- you can resolve the stories through clever use of the characters' current talents and abilities to exploit their weaknesses rather than having some new unlikely invention, event, or ability resolve it for them.  As a side note, I also hope that the writers don't go down the other overused route of having the ponies somehow trick Discord (possibly by having him unintentionally break the rules of one of his own games) and fool him into re-imprisoning himself or leaving or something.  I would really like to see some kind of imaginative, unforeseen, and entertaining twist for the ponies to save the day here.  Like Ziel speculated, it would be interesting to have the Cutie Mark Crusaders somehow play an instrumental role in resolving the conflict in some way, especially since they were the characters that kicked off the events of the plot by releasing Discord to begin with.

I was also kind of surprised by how easily Applejack submitted to Discord's ruse in the hedge maze.  While I like the idea behind what Discord's message was (that it is sometimes easier to delude yourself than it is to accept a hard truth), Applejack succumbed to it with nary any resistance at all.  Even Rarity showed greater resistance against Discord than Applejack did, and she didn't have an entire episode of the series solely dedicated to her steadfast dependability (e.g. Episode 4 - "Applebuck Season").  With Fluttershy I did enjoy Discord's forcibly turning her mean as it broke the pattern of the story and it was an unexpected, but at the same time it lowers my opinion of Discord because it shows a lack of patience and cunning on his part.  He was the one that said he liked games to begin with, yet he was quick to cheat at his own game as soon as Fluttershy showed the slightest bit of resilience against him and his methods.  Lastly, I felt that Discord's trick against Rainbow Dash was one of the best since having the ponies lose Discord's game through Rainbow Dash leaving the maze was not something that I saw coming.  It really makes you wonder what is going to happen to the ponies now that Discord has won the "game," and how they are going to escape that situation.

Hopefully I don't sound overly negative about the season 2 opening episode.  Overall, I felt that this episode of MLP:FiM was pretty close to MLP:FiM's usual high standard, and for all I know all of my minor misgivings may still be resolved in part 2 of this story-- it is really kind of hard to accurately critique anything when you've only seen half of the story!  In any case, I will be looking forward to watching the resolution of this story on my DVR on Sunday night once I return home from the vintage computer fair that I am attending all weekend!

Offline Kay Alett

• part-time hobbyist
  • Female
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:37 pm »
Well Nightmare Moon didn't actually come about due to her resentment, Lauren Faust has stated several tims that it was due to magic. An outside force (I speculate Discord) turned her into Nightmare Moon.

Also Discord is the spirit of Chaos itself so its in his nature to be faily evil and cruel seeming. Its already been establishd that the Elements of Harmony (harmony being the natural opposite of the state of discord/chaos) were able to defeat him once before so naturally they're the currently only hope of stopping him. The mane 6 have a strong friendship together centered around Twilight so I can easily envision a situation where Twilight gets them back to being themselves. Also Discord was overthrown from his rule of Equestria and imprisoned in stone by both Celestia AND Luna so it happened before Luna became Nightmare Moon, meaning he's been in stone for over 1000 years. So I'd say in this episode he isn't evil for the sake of it, he's getting revenge for having his kingdom stolen out from under him and being imprisoned for over a millenium.

As for how he corrupted 5 of the mane 6 I don't really have a nit-picky stand on it. I don't particularly mind one way or another on how it happened, mostly due to I understand they're under time constraints.

Personally I love that the episode goes on like any of the others ithout re-establishing anything. It always feels clunky to me to re-introduce things at the start of a season. I like just jumping in and going. I did kinda feel that the episode has a feel of "The Mare in the Moon" but I don't mind, its only the second time they've faced down a dark power like this. I also LOVED how much darker the episode was. I enjoy the sweet light-hearted nature of the show but I've been wanting to see some more grim elements get put in. As for the whole "Its a kids show" argument, I don't see that as being valid. Kids live in the real world and the real world isn't pretty. I had a good childhood with lots of playing and I had quite a lot of dark points in it that didn't spoil me from "being a kid" and quitee honestly I always cartoons that took on darker, more serious situations. Its one othe reasons I liked TMNT growing up and as i got a little older The Sonic Sat AM and the 90s Batman cartoon. I honestly think that saying something is just "A kids show" is simply an excuse to not put in a lot of effort in the writing. Kids can take dark elementss to cartoons better than you think.

I believe Americans are too obsessed with the image of "innocense of youth" I think that kind of thinking does not prepare a child for the realities of the world. If you let them grow up thinking everything is cookies and sunshine all the time they're gonna be pretty damaged when reality comes in.

I'm not saying the show has to be as dark as the darkest Grimdark fan fiction, I'm simply trying to state that a little seriousness, complex plot and dark elements added to a show "for kids" is not a bad thing and in the end can teach a child a better lesson about life than any letter Twilight can write at the end of an episode.

Those are my thoughts on the subject of darker plots. I'll make a new thread for this subject So if anyone wishes to discuss that particular subject please post in THIS thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:59:21 pm by Kaloyan Alett »
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart

Offline 489109

• Male
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 09:34:06 am »
OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh, OMGosh!

The final scene of Episode Two is just so full of win it is almost indescribable. Not going to spoil it for anyone, but I have to say it was beyond all expectations. Everypony is going to love it and if you don't I will be flabbergasted.

The Discord arc is now finished, on to the regular season of Season Two now. See everypony next week.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2011, 09:36:37 am »
I thought when Discord had mentioned his riddle to the ponies back in Ep. 1, I thought "......starting back where you began" had meant at the castle? That's where the Harmony items were originally kept and that's where I originally thought Discord may have hidden them. So I assumed the ponies would have to go back to the castle and finish things there.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
Part 2 in both seasons shows that Friendship owns the magic. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com