Author Topic: Halloween horror films.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Halloween horror films.
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:25:12 pm »
Who here like horror films? Particuarly during the time of Halloween? Things like:
Halloween horror film series
Friday the 13th film series
Nightmare on Elm Street film series
Poltergeist
The Exorcist
.......etc., etc., etc.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of any horror films. Can't stand them. Not even during Halloween. The closest I get to any horror films are the following in my DVD collection:
An American Werewolf in London
The Howling
Dog Soldiers
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Underworld film series (Lycans vs. Vampires)

RAWR!  :goldbloody:

Offline Hans the husky

• Species: Siberian husky
  • Male
Re: Halloween horror films.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 09:27:14 pm »
I never understood why people like to get scared. I can watch scary stuff but I wouldn't watch something for the soul purpose of getting scared.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:01:26 pm by Hans the husky »

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 10:23:00 pm »
I never understood why people like to get scared. I can watch scary stuff but I wouldn't watch something for the soul purpous of getting scared.

I'm with you.  I mean, as if watching the news wasn't terrifying enough as it is...
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 02:52:20 pm »
I don't mind being scared in an environment where I'm safe.
I unfortunately do not get adrenaline rushes much in life,  so when I do,  it does make me feel more "alive". I've been a low adrenaline person as long as I can remember.  So it can take me out of myself when it happens.  Some times a horror film can do that, but normally not. 
I once watched a movie called The Fourth Kind, a so called psychological thriller,  and honestly, for some reason it really got to me,  but in a bad way.  I actually turned off the movie and walked out side...i care not to see it again.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 05:15:49 am »
I never understood why people like to get scared. I can watch scary stuff but I wouldn't watch something for the soul purpous of getting scared.

I'm with you.  I mean, as if watching the news wasn't terrifying enough as it is...

I don't like being scared, which is unfortunate because I tend to have nightmares every single night.
I have high anxiety, high BP and I'm technically homeless right now and surviving by the skin of my teeth.
I do not need horror movies to make me scared, reality is bad enough.

And what's really odd is that stuff that scares some of my friends doesn't bother me. Like all the existential stuff like contemplating the heat death of the universe, the fragility of life and consciousness, pondering the nature of the chemical reactions that keep us alive, I know people who will shrink into a corner and have massive panic attacks when they become too self-aware to that degree. Yet it doesn't bother me. It's pretty much the level that I live at all the time so I acclimated to existentialism and the inevitability of death.

And then there are friends of mine who play horror games, and watch creepypasta videos and read creepypasta stories and just dive head first into the more supernatural horror stuff and they're not bothered by any of it, they even seem to find it amusing and funny. I on the other hand am very scared of monsters and demons and ghosts and supernatural stuff. It really bothers me.

So it's a strange dichotomy where different forms of horror affect us and others don't. Shove me into a room with scary monsters and I'm a weeping baby. Confront me with the horrible, grim meat hook realities of the world and the plight of the human condition and soap bubble fragility of our own consciousness and sense of self identity and I'm okay. Not bothered.
Meanwhile my other friends get faced with such horrible realities and start to panic.

Anyway I don't really watch horror movies. My subconsciousness does not need extra ammo come dream time.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 12:25:02 am »
 Yeah,  a few things I've experienced in real life I've never seen in a movie,  and if they were in a movie, people would think it's fake.
The closest I've seen is the so called Dementor of Harry potter. 
Who cares if a black hole is going to eat earth in 1 billion years when real life is terrifying.
Makes most scary movies seem tame.

I wonder if someone who reads about demons and is not scared,  has never experienced anything in their life to suggest to them that there might be anymore to it than entertainment.
And those who get freaked out about chemical reactions,  heat death of the universe and all that,  really are missing the point.  That those were science facts and nothing to do to change it anyway,  so who cares.

So I guess I would be scared to watch a horror movie with dementor/shadow people,  or psychopaths who are high functioning and look and act just like normal everyday people. 
Humans can be the most evil thing.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 11:27:00 am »
I don't normally like supernatural horror since it's hard to be scared of things that don't exist (altough Carrie (1976) and Dog Soldiers aren't bad). However I do love the Final Destination series, of which I think Final Destination 2 is my favourite; the supernatural elements in that series are much more subtle and ambiguous, the way it should be.

I also like parodies such as Shaun of the Dead, An American Werewolf in London, Staplerfahrer Klaus (Forklift Driver Klaus), and the first ten or so Simpsons Halloween specials.

Watership Down (1978) and the second season of The Animals of Farthing Wood also probably qualify as horror if you're within their target age group, because "parental guidance recommended" actually meant something back in the day.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:56 pm »
I saw the movie Poltergeist in the theatre long, long ago. Never again. That was "the nail in the coffin" so to speak that made me to never again watch any horror films at all.  >:(

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 03:08:30 pm »
I'm not really a horror movie lover but I have seen American werewolf in London. Scared the fur off me! Would I watch it again? Um yes.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 05:00:21 pm »
I like scary movies but don't like gore. My idea of a good movie would be in the likes of 'Poltergeist', 'The Blare Witch Project' and 'The Omen'. You don't need blood and an body count to make a good scare movie.  To tell the truth if I had a to make a choice between one of those and 'Beetlejuice' I'd watch 'beetlejuice'.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 07:05:06 pm »
I love a good werewolf film.  :goldglee:   Dog Soldiers is at the top of my list. :goldbloody:

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »
Yesterday, I picked up the film The Monster Squad (2-disc Special Edition) at a used DVD store for $6. It wasn't originally on my "want" list, but I seem to remember it now being a cult classic film.  ;)  It's actually more of a comedy horror type film and it has some great creature practical effects that were done by Stan Winston Studios in Hollywood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_Squad

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 11:52:41 pm »
The only thriller I've seen in a theater has been Apollo 18.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)