Author Topic: Visual Novel Games  (Read 5609 times)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Visual Novel Games
« on: July 07, 2016, 05:23:26 am »
Thread to discuss them. What new ones have you recently found, what are your favourites, that sort of thing.

In case people don't know what they are, they generally contain little input from the player (often making choices for the story to go down, but little to no combat, occasional puzzle solving), but are very heavy on an unfolding story, and superb character development.

I picked one up yesterday called VA-11 Hall-A. It's a cyberpunk bartender game where the only input you have is reading news articles, buying things for the main character, and mixing drinks. How you choose to mix the drinks has an outcome on how the other characters act and what they say. It's very good so far, if a little confusing at first in terms of plot - Some things are assumed to be known by the character, and so are only explained gradually over time. It's very good though. Each patron has a well-developed story, and several of them interlink.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Visual Novel Games
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 04:19:07 pm »
I love Visual Novel games.

Analogue: A Hate Story.  Admittedly, the gameplay is very limited, mostly reading data logs to piece together what happened, but I think the story was very good. The sequel, Hate Plus is good also.

Long Live the Queen is one of my favorites. The choices you make are mainly in what classes the main character, a princess soon to be queen, should take which will determine how the game unfolds, and if she survives, what kind of ruler she turns out to be.  I find it interesting because you have to plan ahead, it's not just making choices as they come up. (That's planning ahead with knowledge from previous plays. First time through things will come up that will kill the princess unexpectedly.)

That bartender one sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:15:40 am »
You should try "999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" and it's sequel "Virtue's Last Reward".  They are a lot of fun, a bit odd, and revolve around the Nonary game - a game of life and death.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:22:54 am »
I love Visual Novel games.

Analogue: A Hate Story.  Admittedly, the gameplay is very limited, mostly reading data logs to piece together what happened, but I think the story was very good. The sequel, Hate Plus is good also.

Long Live the Queen is one of my favorites. The choices you make are mainly in what classes the main character, a princess soon to be queen, should take which will determine how the game unfolds, and if she survives, what kind of ruler she turns out to be.  I find it interesting because you have to plan ahead, it's not just making choices as they come up. (That's planning ahead with knowledge from previous plays. First time through things will come up that will kill the princess unexpectedly.)

That bartender one sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

I haven't played Analogue, but I have played another game by the same dev. "Don't Take it Personally Babe, it Just Ain't Your Story." It's about 3 hours long and has very very interesting things to say about the nature of social media and how it's affected us.

Offline cakith

• Species: Tiger
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 02:59:32 pm »
Have you played any furry themed visual novel games? There are some very good out there:

New, started this year: "Far beyond the world"

"Adastra" and "Echo" from same developer

"Nekojishi"

All can be downloaded for free from itchio

Anybody know any other good furry games?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:02:32 pm by cakith »