Author Topic: Looking away?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Baako

• Big scaly bundle of boring ^__^
  • Male
Looking away?
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:42:13 pm »
Ok, so I have sketched plenty of things from the front... but now I'm rather stuck, I started a sketch of a lizard girl, and for a challenge draw the body facing away, it all went well until it came to drawing the head, I would have to draw it looking slightly away or fully away, this is a completely alien pose to me and I am having much difficulty with it.

So my question is, are there any sites which offer a good tutorial on drawing the backs of furry heads? or whether any artists here can give me a few pointers?

PS. sorry for the amount of help I have been asking for, I have only been sketching for a week or so and I still get stuck on many things :-[

Please give 'em a click ^..^

Offline PinkPlushii

• Call me Kaci! :D
  • Female
Re: Looking away?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:58:33 pm »
Instead of relying on tutorials, I suggest looking up pictures of real, live lizards and drawing what you see.  :) Or you can look at the back of human heads, depending on what kind of look you're going for.

http://mimose-stock.deviantart.com/art/lizard-90560041
http://jadejaguarstock.deviantart.com/art/Lizard-2-91626985

Is something like that what you're looking for? Using reference pictures helps me much more than any tutorial can.

Hope to be of help! :D

Offline Sheeta

• Species: Kittygirl!
  • By the power of Grayskull
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:35:47 pm »
Is it possible for you to post the pic so we can see what may be needed?
It's Steely Dan, not Steely Dan't

"People are into it for all sorts of reasons, but I think most people here just think animal people are neat to draw." --"Sue"

Stop by!  www.furaffinity.net/user/nubiankitten7
             www.nubiankitten.deviantart.com/

Offline Baako

• Big scaly bundle of boring ^__^
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 01:09:47 pm »
sorry, I kinda forgot about this request and the image (its lost somewhere in my file o failed sketches  :D

I can't really post it as I have no scanner or camera.

The thing which makes it difficult is that I need to draw the back of the head, the side is a possibility, but the back of her head is what I am really going for (hair/horns).

Please give 'em a click ^..^

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:25:23 pm »
I don't draw anymore but I used to, and when I had trouble I always used a refrence of some sort, find a picture of a real person in a similar pose and then try to imagine the character you are drawing in a superimposed fashion over it. That might help you.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home