Author Topic: Tips/Advice please.  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Bloodtooth

• Dread Pirate
  • Male
Tips/Advice please.
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:26:59 pm »
Ok, I have never ever been good at drawing things that are alive. Inanimate objects are my forte. But, I wanted to draw Bloodtooth, and I gave it my best shot. Read alot of stuff online.

So: Tips and advice please, im justing shrinking down the xbox hueg pictures my phone takes. Also, ill scan it when I can. But my parents are asleep and they have the  scanner >.>

So yeah, anyway. Bloodtooth looks a bit like this. Can anyone give some tips on drawing scars at all?

Pets name: Harry
Welcome to the abandoned land
Come on in, child; Take my hand
Here there's no work or play
Only one bill to pay
There's just five words to say
As you go down, down, down

You're gonna burn in hell!

Offline Wolvenblaze

• Three if by Arwing
  • Male
Re: Tips/Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
I'm proud to say I've done some good scar-work, so I can help you there. The first thing to keep in mind (but something you shouldn't worry too much about) is that the scars follow the contour of the face.  If you spread the surface of the skin onto a flat plane, the scar will basically form a straight line (there are millions of exceptions, but usually the most commonly made scars will be straight).  So when you sort of papier-mache the skin onto the curves of the face, you have to keep in mind where the scar will go and how perspective affects it.

Never make the scar "smooth" or it'll look like a skinny banana or face-paint.  Make the edges of the scar very slightly jagged or rough to add realism and the appearance that the skin actually broke when the scar was formed.

Where scars exist, no fur grows.  In relatively undetailed drawings, it won't matter, but with a really in-depth and complex piece (where the fur is highly detailed) you'll want to show how the fur ends, how the scar begins, and how the fur hangs/doesn't hang over the scar.

Scars come in many shapes, sizes, and widths, so go crazy.

EDIT: When I said "never" draw scars a certain way, I meant "usually don't."  Art is never defined by any specific rule-set or procedure.  Even though scars drawn realistically typically look better in most people's opinion, there are always reasons to defy convention and develop a unique style. Just look at Kenshin:

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Rurouni_Kenshin/Images/kenshin329.jpg

Hopefully, I'll get some examples of scars that I've drawn (once I figure out how to work my scanner x_x)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:09:08 pm by Wolvenblaze »
"Don't forget to cash all your checks before you legally change your name" ~ Me

"A winner is a person who's present when someone loses." ~ also Me

"The only room for these goods in the city is right here in my cart!" ~ Deliveryman from Zeus

Offline Kwan

• They are my Om-Noms and I want them!
  • Female
    • my stuff on  FA
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:30:27 pm »
I like how one ear is bent over, it gives Bloodtooth a more rakish look. 
I'd suggest though that the bend be lower.  Right now, if you straightened the subject's right (folded) ear, it would be longer then the upright ear (unless the ears are supposed to be 2 different lengths, in which case--never mind).

I'd also suggest more definition (either through shading or a line) for the top of the muzzle from the subject's right eye to the top of the nose.  Otherwise it might appear that his right eye is in the center of a thick snout.  Take turns covering up the eyes & you'll see what I mean.
Card-carrying member of the following fan-clubs:
FarRaptor (in capacity of self-proclaimed Number One Fan-Girl)
Blastdav  (in capacity of Official Tormentor)
Mazz      (Furtopian ambassador ne plus ultra)
White Shepherd (Lo, WS laid hands on Furtopia, and it hath arisen)

Offline RedneckFur

• I'm in ur barn, eatin' ur hay!
  • Male
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/redneckfur/
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 12:22:57 am »
I've got little experience with scars, so I cant help ya with that.  It may help you to start with a circle when you draw a head.  With canines, their head (minus muzzle) is generally round, so starting with a circle or "ball" shape can help you get the muzzle, eyes, and ears just where you want them.

Pets name: Nugget
Adopt your own!