Author Topic: Difficulty with 'solid' drawings  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
Difficulty with 'solid' drawings
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »
I've been drawing for a little bit now, roughly 3 years... and for some reason its getting harder and harder to draw lately. Normally, when I would draw I would take and get an image in my mind, then I would find something that looked like it and use the look alike as a base (redraw a basic outline of it) then transform it to what I pictured in my mind. I have to do this because I have trouble keeping anything concrete in my mind.

Lately though (about a year now) its impossible for me to draw images in themselves. Everything I draw is so abstracted its strange, art is no longer 'see this and draw it' its now 'space out for hours and draw tiny lines and *maybe* end up with something that resembles something else'

Its not that i'm complaining, but is it normal for your artist style to change so much? The first one is something from 2 years ago, the other two are pics from the last few months.

And before anyone asks (I get this alot) I am not on any form of medication or take any form of drug >_>

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Re: Difficulty with 'solid' drawings
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:39:02 pm »
I'm not sure I can answer your actual question, because I'm not an artist. But I think your newer art is AWESOME.

Edit: WOOO POST #4000
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:43:09 pm by Arbutus »

Offline Sskessa

• magically delicious
    • 14 Nights -- A webcomic
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:46 pm »
Whoa, dude. Your abstract stuff is awesome! Why haven't you posted that in the art forum before?

As for your question, of course people's interest in subject matter changes! Kandinsky, one of the first to paint pure abstraction (and one of my all-time favorite artists) learned to paint realistically and gradually became more interested in shapes and colors rather than depicting reality. It's good to explore new ways of drawing. Now that you've thought about it, it might be good to ask yourself if you're satisfied just spacing out and drawing (which is fine), or if you want to develop this style further.
Also, if you want to keep drawing representational (basically it means the opposite of abstract), it's not like you can't got between styles. You might need to practice extra hard to get back into the groove of it, but the knowledge is still in your brain.
^_^
Someone Else's Problem: My adventures in China

I have never had a deep interest in revenge. Revenge is the concern of those who are at some point or other beaten.
-- The Tale of the Body Thief

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:55 pm »
I guess its not that strange... its just my own art kinda creeps me out now xD.

Offline Traumerei

• Male
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:27 am »
It creeps me out too, but in a good way :) I'd like to see more.
-

Offline millislim

• Princess Indira Fairfang
  • Female
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:07:58 pm »
I think your newer stuff is much better than your older stuff. It may just seem like random lines but there seems to be more care and detail work.  The other work looks almost forced. Like you have an idea and your trying to squeeze it into an already existing shell. This is kinda one of the reasons I don't care much for copying because it can become a prison you can't break out of. People need to find their own voice and use copying or heavy referencing as an aid. At least that's my opinion. Every time I try to draw something is a style not my own it never comes out right...  :o

Offline Ricco92

• Male
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23:47 am »
Your drawings are legend much better thn my attempts
Add me on MSN or Myspace (www.myspace.com/471911831)

There is no such thing as death......there is only change.

I live my life at an hour at a time