Author Topic: Newhand need some advise  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Dingz

• Male
    • My FA~~welcome, and please have a sit~
Newhand need some advise
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:37:52 pm »
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dingz/

Hello, I'm just start drawing since September 2010. I really need some advice because i feel lost direction. Here is my first Photoshop drawing i had done so far:

Pencil work of the above picture:

It is worthy to finish the whole picture? Or i just start other drawing to practices more?? Or do i need do some modification on this drawing???

I always feel lost confidence since my friend all around me didn't like this type of art and i can't receive any comment by them. Do i doing well? Doing worst?? No one can answer it...

Offline furtopia02

Re: Newhand need some advise
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »
Comparison in art is only good for very short term goals. There will always be someone better and always someone not doing as well. So don't worry about that at all. Just take in bits and pieces of what you like from your favourite artists and things you like to see and you'll be happier with your own work if it reflects that.

Now.. to your drawing. You seem to be well on your way and moving fairly fast for just starting in September. By all means, finish the colouring as it will give you a chance to do a full colour background (I check out your page and didn't see any other coloured bgs yet). Perspective and angles of things could always be worked on but really when drawing cartoons its not that big of a deal as long as its pretty close. Wireframing your drawing to start with should work most of that out anyway. In Photoshop learn how to use the Transformation Tools to skew, rotate, scale, and flip selections around to play with things to test out various scaling and angles on your drawing before you do your final line art (if you are drawing in Photoshop is, for the scanned drawings you can do it too so don't worry). Other than that, just keep playing with Photoshop and always make sure to put things on their own layers to be able to edit things easier if you decide to change them. Everything else is pretty much just preference. There is not RIGHT or WRONG way to draw or colour something. It's all about being satisfied with it.

Good luck.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:35:38 am »
Mmm.  Something i would do too is see if you can get people to give you very detailed and specific critique. I'm not talking about a general,  "This drawing looks good!"  I mean downright specific like, "the front half of your arm should be smaller than the half before the elbow,  shrink by about 30%."

The more you have people rail on the details,  the better you get.  20 eyes are better than two. More eyes notice more flaws.  More people know more facts about different species.  I would look analytically at a picture of a wolf,  and not realize that the neck had to be so large even as an anthro.  I would have taken me months to figure out why my drawings were turning out strange if someone hadn't pointed it out for me.

It was Saloonka that told me i could greatly improve by shading with color.

I've had the luck of having some rather heartless friends (Two of which are really good artists) to help me improve on drawing.   ^^

Offline Dingz

• Male
    • My FA~~welcome, and please have a sit~
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:35 pm »
Comparison in art is only good for very short term goals. There will always be someone better and always someone not doing as well. So don't worry about that at all. Just take in bits and pieces of what you like from your favourite artists and things you like to see and you'll be happier with your own work if it reflects that.

Now.. to your drawing. You seem to be well on your way and moving fairly fast for just starting in September. By all means, finish the colouring as it will give you a chance to do a full colour background (I check out your page and didn't see any other coloured bgs yet). Perspective and angles of things could always be worked on but really when drawing cartoons its not that big of a deal as long as its pretty close. Wireframing your drawing to start with should work most of that out anyway. In Photoshop learn how to use the Transformation Tools to skew, rotate, scale, and flip selections around to play with things to test out various scaling and angles on your drawing before you do your final line art (if you are drawing in Photoshop is, for the scanned drawings you can do it too so don't worry). Other than that, just keep playing with Photoshop and always make sure to put things on their own layers to be able to edit things easier if you decide to change them. Everything else is pretty much just preference. There is not RIGHT or WRONG way to draw or colour something. It's all about being satisfied with it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise, Now i'm working of the whole picture including full coloring with more detail :D. BTW I can improve so fast because of this tutorial:

(Warning traditional Chinese content)
http://forum.fdzone.org/viewthread.php?tid=4192054&i=295395&extra=page%3D1
This is a comprehensive tutorial to teach how to simple coloring by using Photoshop. It is amazing to me coz I just follow his step and can draw something…good ^^

Mmm.  Something i would do too is see if you can get people to give you very detailed and specific critique. I'm not talking about a general,  "This drawing looks good!"  I mean downright specific like, "the front half of your arm should be smaller than the half before the elbow,  shrink by about 30%."

The more you have people rail on the details,  the better you get.  20 eyes are better than two. More eyes notice more flaws.  More people know more facts about different species.  I would look analytically at a picture of a wolf,  and not realize that the neck had to be so large even as an anthro.  I would have taken me months to figure out why my drawings were turning out strange if someone hadn't pointed it out for me.
It was Saloonka that told me i could greatly improve by shading with color.

I've had the luck of having some rather heartless friends (Two of which are really good artists) to help me improve on drawing.   ^^

This is why I’m posting at here; I want someone to give me very detailed and specific critique. I had put those pictures on many forums. But, so far I had only received something in general or no comment on it. It terrified me out and let me less confidence on drawing. I will ask myself…is that piece of shxt terrified other people out while they look at my picture and close the window quickly lol.

Sorry for the bad English. Hope you are undenstand what i saying ... ^^
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:18:52 pm by Dingz »

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:33:48 am »
Mmm.

I'm willing to give you detailed critique if you want,  but i'd rather do that in private.  I'll give you a list of things i'd change.  Just PM me with a pic sometime if you're interested.