Author Topic: Drawing Fantastic Furries (new book)  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Drawing Fantastic Furries (new book)
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0823033457

I think it's brand-new, anyway. The release date is listed as March 15, 2011, so it's only available for pre-order right now. But I figured some of you might be interested. :)

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
Re: Drawing Fantastic Furries (new book)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:00 am »
WHOA!  I really like that cover!  (*saves image to hard drive*)  I will probably buy the book just for that!   :D

On a more serious note, I currently have four other Christopher Hart "how to draw" books in my nearly 100-book strong art reference book collection, so while he is not my favorite art reference book author by any means I am familiar with his work and find some value in his books.  Going back to the cover of this new book, boy is that leopardess stunning--  I don't remember the covers to any of his "Manga Mania" books leaving an impression on me like that!  Maybe Mr. Hart has finally found his true calling, should quit drawing all of his manga stuff, and start selling furry pin-up artwork at furry conventions!  There could never be enough sexy leopardess pin-ups like that in my life!   :)

Offline ObliviousAlly

• Ally the Sparkly
  • Female
    • Pipedreams
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:22:11 am »
Ugh, Christopher Hart is still doing how to draw books? :/

Regardless, I think ~drawing furries~ should be less about drawing animal people and more about actually /learning anatomy/ and all that FIRST before you start mashing things together.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:23 pm »
Ugh, Christopher Hart is still doing how to draw books? :/

Regardless, I think ~drawing furries~ should be less about drawing animal people and more about actually /learning anatomy/ and all that FIRST before you start mashing things together.

I agree.. One needs a good anatomy background to draw animals/furries.. Feral or Anthro's
well..  

It shouldn't be just about how sexy one can draw..

Course I must say the cover has a very nice drawing of a anthro kitty.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:38:44 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »
well, not just anatomy, but all the basics to drawing... like perspective.
I mean, forget anatomy and all the complex stuff, if you don't have perspective, your drawings are doomed to fail from the very start. Then comes proportion, in what I think is the second most important (but you need perspective first to get proportion right anyways, hence it being second). Then you can get to anatomy and all other sorts of details.

As to the anatomy part, you can actually sort of cheat and just learn it form other (good) artists (of the style of anthros you like anyways), which is what I did, and I must say, I think that it helped a lot (and interestingly enough learned to draw ferals after, though it was not that hard to do, considering that the style I like is not all that far removed, most of the time; ie, legs are already digitigrade).
Sure, I can't draw human faces, but... who cares. I don't. (Drawing humans was never any interest for me, at all, what-so-ever, period.)
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Fen-Fen

• lol u mad?
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
I agree with Ally and Old Rabbit. One needs to know about human anatomy and animal anatomy before you start smooshing these two things together.

I also feel that it's a bit unreputable since it's coming from Christopher Hart, but he has improved in his different styles. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I may thumb through it while I'm at work if our library gets a copy of it in the system. 
And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom,
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I’ve never known the lovin' of a man,
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand.

Offline KuroOokamiTsume

• Skunk + Fox = SOX!
  • Female
    • Kuro's Artsy Fartsy Page!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:21 am »
I am really looking forward to this book, personally.

I need to, however, learn perspective.
Like my avatar? I take commissions: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/kuroookamitsume
Into each life, some rain must fall, to water the gardens of our souls." - Me.

Offline HeavenlyOdyssey

• Newbie fursuiter :)
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:22:49 am »
I agree 100% with previous comments, if you want to create realistic anthro's study anatomy and how that creature moves and acts in situations.
By carefully studying both animal and human anatomy you can then incorporate the both to create a stunning and realistic furry.
Personally it slightly unsettles me that the cover of the book is a pin up...I just don't get the attraction for a pin up furry, but alas that's just me :).
One thing I found really help was going to the natural history museum and local zoo's and carefully studying the animals and noting little details.
Whislt this book may offer some good advice, I've seen a couple of the series and in fairness it isn't all fantastic, I would advise to purchase anatomy books or books on animal species that interest you.
A couple of books I found very helpful are:

*An Atlas of Animal Anatomy for Artists (a very detailed book)
*Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement (again highly detailed)
*Animals Real and Imagined (brand new to 2011 and looks very helpful)
*Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives: An Illustrated Guide to Their Evolution and Natural History
*Horses (a beautiful study of horses)
It is not wolves that are devils but man, for it is he who has condemned the wolf and created demons where there were none.
Now because of mans prejudice, the sons of Loki shall never know peace, and their howls will forever echo their sadness.