Author Topic: Heads or tails?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
Heads or tails?
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »
I am having trouble. It seems that for my art class, I have chosen to stupidly draw only furries for the whole year. It is a bit of a bet to myself that I cannot complete such a feat. Right now I am having the trouble of drawing a Dragon/Wolf's face, and tails. The very fact that the tail is an appendage that is not on the human one of the most alien things to me.

If anyone has already posted topic about this kind of stuff, please post. If anyone knows where to find instructions of drawing anthro heads or tails, please post. If you have some tricks of your own... Please post.

Thank you.
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline Mylo

Re: Heads or tails?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »
Drawfurry.com has some neat tutorials.
Think of the tail as it is: an extension of the spine.  It became easier for me to draw after I realized this fact. :P

Offline Ragnorrock_13

• Spread the love
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »
That does not help with the fact that every time that I try to draw this ladies fursona's tail, it comes out to short, or too wide  x_x. Is there a sight devoted to just drawing the tail? :(

OK... This is what I got so far, and I know there is definitely something wrong with it. Please help.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:52:31 pm by Ragnorrock_13 »
Next time, I'll collect the money, and you can die!
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

Offline PupLilith17

• "Merry Christmas!"
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »
hope this helps with the tail...
http://www.mangatutorials.com/tut/tail.php
---------------------------------------http://brialilith.deviantart.com/

Offline Mylo

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »
I think it looks fine. :)

But if you think it's too short, lengthen it.  If it's too wide, then narrow it.  That's pretty much all you can do.  ;)

Offline Sunny Snowflame

• Greetings, Earthlings! You will obey me!!
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:49 am »
I used to be very fond of drawing excessively long tails that appeared very fluffy and wide. It reminded me of those super-long dresses women used to wear to formal outings; the kind where a very long tail would drag on the ground. To me, furry characters with overly long tails had a sort of siren-like, mythical quality about them. An old motif of mine was to have a female with a tail long enough to hold to her neck as a pillow or a child-like security blanket. I don't use such techniques anymore, but I may go back to them one day...  (:

The bottom line is: don't be afraid to experiment. Get a big white vinyl eraser and try different things! If something doesn't work, just erase it and try again! A professional tip I once heard was to draw several possible lines on the paper, and only erase once you find the right one!

Also, I like to allow something to develop on its own. If the idea in my head goes on the paper but doesn't look right, I modify it. Over and over again until it looks the best it can be. I've spent hours working on just facial structures. Sometimes, the final result is nothing like my original concept, which only makes the character that much more lifelike!  :)
Just what exactly is a nerf, and how does one herd them?...