Author Topic: What Do You Use To Make Animation?  (Read 5707 times)

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
What Do You Use To Make Animation?
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:43 am »
How would somebody go about making 2D animation? What kind of software would you use? I've heard of everything from ms paint and movie maker to hand drawings with Sony Vegas. I thought this may be an interesting discussion.

Offline Mylo

Re: What Do You Use To Make Animation?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:36 pm »
I use Photoshop. It's not the best way to make animation, but it works.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
2d?   Flash.

Offline Ickyrus

• Fiddle dee dee.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:14:42 am »
I'm with Alsek, Flash is good and fairly simple to use depending on what you do with it.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:36:03 pm »
There is always gif animation if your only making a short one.

Photoshop comes with a gif animation software. At least mine did.

oldrabbit.com

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »
For simple animations, like animated icons and such, I use Photoshop CS2, or Gimp, (Google will usually yield basic tutorials on the subject).

But for more complex animations, I’ll use a combination of different software…

For frame by frame animations, I start with Photoshop or Gimp for content creation.
Then I use VirtualDub along with the Xvid codec to compile the image frames into an .AVI file(s).
And then I’ll use LMMS for music and sound effects, and Audacity for recordings, sound effects, and to compile the final audio into a .WAV file(s).

Then finally,
I’ll take the video(s) output from VirtualDub, and the audio track(s) output from Audacity, and compile them in Blender’s sequence editor to make the completed video.

Also, for the more complex animations, the whole process is not so straight forward as mentioned above…

As I usually make a story board animation sequence first, compile that, then work on the audio and match everything up in Blender.
And once the audio and timeline are good, I'll go back and make the final animation frames, then I'll make the new, final video file(s) from those frames.
Once that's done, I would then go back to Blender again, and put it all together one last time.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:49:47 pm by Storm Fox »
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »
Wow that sounds like a lot of work. I'm definitely not at that level yet, but I would like to try animation at some point.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:42:27 pm »
Animation can be a very involved craft.. That's why you see so many
names in the credits of a animated movie. :orbunny:

In case you haven't seen the little animated gif I did of a rabbit. You can
find it here.

http://forums.furtopia.org/index.php?topic=42181.0

Doing something like this would be good experience in finding out
how much work there is in animation. :orbunny:

oldrabbit.com

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 02:50:35 am »
My I made my "Foxee" interactive cartoon fox Microsoft Agent character, I created her animations the traditional way using hand-drawn animation with real media.  For paper I used 12-Field 20-lb. ACME-registered Mohawk brand animation paper.  To draw my rough animation drawings I used blue-colored Sanford Col-erase pencils, and for the clean-up drawings I used 0.3m Alvin DRAFT/MATIC mechanical pencils with soft dark leads that were in the B-range.  I couldn't afford an animation disc to draw on (they're hundreds of dollars), so I bought a plastic ACME-registered peg bar and glued it to a light box.  It worked just fine.  Instead of using an animation camera to digitize my animation drawings into my computer I used a large A3-size flatbed scanner.  To ensure that all of the animation drawings were lined up exactly the same on the scanner for every scan, I glued a plastic ACME-registered peg bar to the scanner as well.  To "aim" the scanner I bought an actual 12-field camera guide, and used it for calibration.  I animated Foxee at the motion picture standard frame rate of 24-drawings per second, and "painted" her animation frames using Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7.04.  Due to the limitations of Microsoft Agent 2.0 technology I was limited to a palette of only 256-colors, so I created a custom 256-color palette for Foxee to make her look the best that I could.

I actually already have a lot of the images detailing the different steps of the process available online at Foxee's website, but to make things easier for you to find I will link to some of these images below:

Here is an image of a test scan that I made with the flatbed scanner when I was first aiming it with the 12-field camera guide:

Here are some of the rough animation pencil tests:

Here are some of the Camera Exposure Sheets (a.k.a. "X-Sheets") for two of the animations:

And lastly, here are the final painted animations:

Considering the fact that I had no formal animation training (and still don't-- I went to college for Computer Science, not art or animation), a shoestring budget to work with, that I worked on this in my college dorm room around my full-time class schedule, and that I went from having never drawn a single frame of animation in my life to what you see above in only three months time while teaching myself how to draw animation out of books, and I think that all things considered Foxee pretty much turned out alright!   :)

Offline warriorsfan1812

• Foxes and Wolves ftw!
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:03:21 pm »
Oh wow that is awesome, and to think that you hand drew that and scanned it and everything without any professional knowledge is pretty incredible. I would expect that kind of work from an animation major.

Offline Hoagiebot

• Species: Thinking Machines Corporation CM-5/1056
  • Analyzing MLP w/ 135-GFLOPS of raw computing power
  • Male
    • Project Destiny Studios
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
Oh wow that is awesome, and to think that you hand drew that and scanned it and everything without any professional knowledge is pretty incredible. I would expect that kind of work from an animation major.

I very much appreciate the compliments, but I can't take all of the credit.  I had the help of some really good animation books that I bought, such as The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams, and Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair, amongst others.  They proved to be invaluable resources when I was first starting out.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:41 am »
Yes you did a fine job on the animation.  Even though you gathered
information from good books on the subject. It still shows you took
the time to do it well. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com