Author Topic: jackets ?!  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Zira

• Female
jackets ?!
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »
hi there  :) I'm drawing a female cat for my friend, he wants a leather jacket on Kat ( the cats name :P)  and i honestly have no idea how to draw a leather jacket..... or any jackets. Any tips ? thanks  :) (: :) 
wolves are awesome! Donnie Darko is awesome! Fox's are awesome! Music is awesome! AAAnnnnddd The lion king is Awesome!

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
Re: jackets ?!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:48:31 pm »
Leather jackets tend to be more rectangular than most jackets, they can either be tight on the skin or slightly loose but only slightly. If there are wrinkles they are straight short lines in the leather. It broadens at the shoulder, and it can have either a short regular collar, or a long one that stops above the navel. They typically have wrist and lower back straps. They are also fairly thick so it can't be drawn thin like normal clothing.

Offline Mylo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:16:09 am »
This is all speculation on my part because I've never drawn leather, but if I were to go about doing it, I'd tackle the jacket like below:

Leather jackets reflect light, but very softly and diffuse.  You can achieve this effect by adding highlights to the jacket but with very "feathered" edges if you know what I mean.  Some leather jackets are very stiff while others are loose, but they are all heavy...you can incorporate this into your drawing by making the jacket droop down more so than regular clothing, unless it is formfitting, in which case you'd probably just use shading techniques to get the material right.  They are also pretty bulky since the material is so thick (but I've seen very thin "leather" jackets before).  Good luck! :)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:20:13 am »
Hi

Here is one example of a leather jacket I drew.  Perhaps it will
give you some help or ideas of your own.

The coloring was drawn as requested by Cassy.

Old Rabbit :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com