Poll

Should robots be considered anthropomorphic?

Yes
7 (63.6%)
No
2 (18.2%)
Undecided
1 (9.1%)
Resistence is futile! You will be assimilated!
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Robots as anthropomorphic?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Robots as anthropomorphic?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:57:39 pm »
I'm sure a lot of people will probably say Yes, that robots should be considered anthropomorphic since they are designed/built in a humanoid form to look and/or sound like humans.
But as for me, I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the thought of a computerised electrical machine being anthropomorphic. Don't ask me to explain my reasoning. I don't think I could even if I tried.  :P  I guess I'm just more used to seeing biological "furry" type creatures being anthropomorphic than seeing a machine being anthropomorphic.

Offline Doc

• Species: Fox
  • Waffles are the best!
  • Male
Re: Robots as anthropomorphic?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 02:12:11 pm »
It really, really depends on how the robot is constructed. For example, my robot is not anthropomorphic, despite having an arm and the capability to grab and move things because of the way it was built. Honda's Asimo can be considered anthropomorphic because of it's similarity to humans. It has two "eyes," two arms, walks on two legs, and can speak and interact with humans. Other robots, like self-driving cars, can't be considered anthropomorphic. They have no human-like qualities whatsoever.

In my personal opinion, if they have any qualities that resemble those of a human, then yes. Otherwise, no.
Avatar by my best friend Taivana.

"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. After a few hours, you realize they like it." -unknown.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:19 pm »
My favorite anthro cartoon character is a shape shifting anthro robot horse. 3030 from the 'Brave Stare' cartoon.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 11:54:28 pm »
personally i'd like to keep robots away from human like things. im fine with learning or being able to talk with humans through voice though any humans like traits i'd like to keep them away (due to all the controversy about artificial intelligence)

though when we talk about robots there is a very large amount of things you could mean. is very hard to pin point what a robot is.

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 04:46:57 am »
Embrace the future of robotics :3

Sure, robots can be considered anthropomorphic.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »
I'd say a robot is anthropomorphic; has the human features, human speech, mannerisms.  Give it clothes and dress it like a human and its no different than putting on a mascot costume with the jersey of the team they represent.  If you ever watched Brave Little Toaster, all those appliances were anthropomorphic in my opinion given all the human qualities they had.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 02:46:34 am »
That Star trek quote though  :D

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 11:01:05 am »
Definately any object that is made to have human or animal characteristics are anthropomorphic.
Most any object can be Anthromorphized, even a dust bunny if you give it a name.  :D

We mostly think of something humanoid being anthropomorphic, but an feral animal can
be shown as anthropomorphic if it walks on it's hind legs or have other human traits. Even
inanimate objects can have anthro looks. Dolls, plushies, statues. So robots would just be
an animated version.

Treating your pet like a friend is anthropomorphicising it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:16:31 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com