Is nothing actually something?

Yes
7 (46.7%)
No
5 (33.3%)
Undecided
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Logic puzzle?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Logic puzzle?
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:53:18 pm »
Just curious, and maybe for fun too, but if a person wasn't doing anything, would that actually be considered doing something?

Is "nothing" actually considered "something"?

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Logic puzzle?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:00:25 am »
A person is never actually doing nothing. They are thinking, breathing, the body is making multiple small adjustments to keep itself running smoothly.

In terms of the nothing that was before space and time, no. That isn't something. Nothing in that case is simply the closest possible word to try and get the human mind around an inconceivable concept. 

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Varg the wanderer

• Species: Maligator/Tervuren
  • Furtopia cannot be held down!
  • Male
    • My writings and leatherwork at SoFurry!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:29:50 pm »
If you look out of the back of your head, what do you see? It isn't blackness, because you don't even have receptors that face that way. You see nothing, because you can only see forward out of your eyes. That doesn't mean there isn't anything behind your head (in fact, there is a lot behind your head), just that you can't see it.

So nothing is often used to described what we can't detect or understand. God is often referred to as nothing by the Jewish rabbis, and ironically so is enlightenment by the Buddhists.

So yes: nothing is something. It simply means that we cannot know what is there.
My writings and other stuff: https://varg-stigandr.sofurry.com/

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by." - Douglas Adams

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:59:58 am »
If you look out of the back of your head, what do you see? It isn't blackness, because you don't even have receptors that face that way. You see nothing, because you can only see forward out of your eyes. That doesn't mean there isn't anything behind your head (in fact, there is a lot behind your head), just that you can't see it.

So nothing is often used to described what we can't detect or understand. God is often referred to as nothing by the Jewish rabbis, and ironically so is enlightenment by the Buddhists.

So yes: nothing is something. It simply means that we cannot know what is there.

I agree. We haven't the knowledge to  know if nothing is an absolute.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:20:15 pm »
Nothing usually references to the absence of a desired outcome or instance or even the perception of a lack of something, like nothing being received on a radio or nothing was in the drawer. True nothing exists in absolute absence of something wich  could only  occur in the vacuum of outer space and even then there's things there, dust, tiny particles and other minuscule particulates float around in there.

and that's only the physical aspect of something, not including Energy or other non-physical affects of matter. Concepts and ideas are still a thing, such as the number 0. It truly represent's the total absence of something yet is a representation of what it is and is still a thing. Even -1 is a thing and it's even less than nothing, an owed something if you will. but such things have issues such as the square root of -1, wich is represented by 'i' but I digress.

nothing is in of itself a thing even if only in a representative sence, but if it can be represented by something then it must be something in of itself.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:24:59 pm by Furenzied »
Mate of WereCat

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:42:40 pm »
What about the universe? Before the Big Bang, there was nothing. But the universe had to be created from something? Where did the "something" come from?

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:46:22 am »
What about the universe? Before the Big Bang, there was nothing. But the universe had to be created from something? Where did the "something" come from?

"Nothing" is only a concept of man, it's likely we will never know what started exsistance
in the first place. If there ever was a beginning at all. Perhaps it's all an never ending
repeating loop of time.  If that's the case I wouldn't want to know I did this all before. :P
oldrabbit.com

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 12:55:40 pm »

"Nothing" is only a concept of man, it's likely we will never know what started exsistance
in the first place. If there ever was a beginning at all. Perhaps it's all an never ending
repeating loop of time.  If that's the case I wouldn't want to know I did this all before. :P

Well yeah there's no beggining persay, you can always ask: What happened before that?
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline YourUnknownHost

• Species: Maned Wolf
  • Hi there!
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 07:38:19 pm »
Nothing is nothing unless it's the absence of something.

Example: There is nothing there, so that means it's the absence of nothing there! So thats something.
Example Two: Nothing. (There is nothing, or the void)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:42:59 pm by YourUnknownHost »

Offline McMajik

• Species: Variable
  • Silly Majik tried to do magic, now it's a birdy.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 02:22:34 pm »

"Before the big bang" doesn't work as a concept though; the big bang is the origin point from which spacetime expands outwards from. There is no before the beginning of what we experience as time.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »

"Before the big bang" doesn't work as a concept though; the big bang is the origin point from which spacetime expands outwards from. There is no before the beginning of what we experience as time.

Perhaps I should clarify. Before the Big Bang, all matter and energy were condensed into a single point. But "something" had to have happened to make that "point" explode and expand outward thus creating our universe. Thus, what was that "something"?

Offline Keitsu

• Species: Wolf
  • I'm a Disney wolf :P
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
Nothing is the absence of any thing.

Definition: not anything; no single thing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:21:07 am by Sciex »