general furry discussion > convention talk

Anthrocon Forever!

(1/5) > >>

Kobuk:
I would like to go back to AC sometime. I haven't been back there since 2012, 2011, 2008, and 2007. But I'm not sure when, or with who, etc., etc. 
I've been contemplating the 25th anniversary of AC which is in 2021. But I'm not quite sure yet if I can make it. Even if I went, I wouldn't have a fursuit in time.
I think a better option (and one which I really like) is in 2026 which will be AC's 30th anniversary. This would allow me at least 6-7 years to save up for a new fursuit (It probably won't be a husky, but who knows?), travel, etc., etc.
Granted, it's a long way off and anything could change between now and then which would derail plans. But I'd like to try.
So here's my question/plans for any Furtopians reading this: Would anybody be interested in going to AC2026 for the 30th anniversary and sharing a room, etc. with me? Even though the con generally runs from Thurs. to Sunday, I'd like to extend my stay from Weds. to Sun. (or Mon.).

Jade Sinapu:
I like that idea actually.  Anthrocon 25th or 30th.  I wonder if they will do EVEN MORE for those special years.  Holy cow!

As you said Kobuk, those are 2, and 7 years away, approximately so things may happen.

I don't know what will happen to me in the 2 year time frame, but I hope I have a job again, and have settled into it enough to do things outside of work.
Why I mention that is because I am thinking of going to AC as well.  I guess I am saying that I am hopeful for 25th anniversary, but I think I SHOULD be able to make the 30th.

I bet there may be others here who would show up too.  Maybe we can have a mini Furtopia gathering there?

So for the 30th anv, if I can remember and things go as I hope in my life, I will be there and should be able to share costs. 
But lets regroup our thoughts each year just to be sure.

Also, I think your Husky fursuit that I see in your Furtopia avatar is great.  So... :)

FarFar:

--- Quote from: Kobuk on July 11, 2019, 01:41:37 pm ---I would like to go back to AC sometime. I haven't been back there since 2012, 2011, 2008, and 2007. But I'm not sure when, or with who, etc., etc. 
I've been contemplating the 25th anniversary of AC which is in 2021. But I'm not quite sure yet if I can make it. Even if I went, I wouldn't have a fursuit in time.
I think a better option (and one which I really like) is in 2026 which will be AC's 30th anniversary. This would allow me at least 6-7 years to save up for a new fursuit (It probably won't be a husky, but who knows?), travel, etc., etc.
Granted, it's a long way off and anything could change between now and then which would derail plans. But I'd like to try.
So here's my question/plans for any Furtopians reading this: Would anybody be interested in going to AC2026 for the 30th anniversary and sharing a room, etc. with me? Even though the con generally runs from Thurs. to Sunday, I'd like to extend my stay from Weds. to Sun. (or Mon.).

I'm up for all of that!!! Yeah, lets stay in touch with this. Would be willing to share costs/rooms/etc. Just came back from this years!
Wed-Sunday/Monday would be great if things work out that way. But yeah, let us stay in touch with this. For either the 25 or 30 year of it.

--- End quote ---

Kobuk:

--- Quote from: Jade Sinapu on July 11, 2019, 06:39:59 pm ---I like that idea actually.  Anthrocon 25th or 30th.  I wonder if they will do EVEN MORE for those special years.  Holy cow!
It's possible that AC might have something special planned for those anniversaries, but it's too early to know for sure.

As you said Kobuk, those are 2, and 7 years away, approximately so things may happen.
Yeah, anything can happen: Family issues, Health issues, Job issues, and so much more.

I don't know what will happen to me in the 2 year time frame, but I hope I have a job again, and have settled into it enough to do things outside of work.
Why I mention that is because I am thinking of going to AC as well.  I guess I am saying that I am hopeful for 25th anniversary, but I think I SHOULD be able to make the 30th.
I could go almost "any" year if I put my mind to it and saved. But the 25th and 30th anniversaries just seem like more special events to me that would interest me more.

I bet there may be others here who would show up too.  Maybe we can have a mini Furtopia gathering there?

So for the 30th anv, if I can remember and things go as I hope in my life, I will be there and should be able to share costs. 
But lets regroup our thoughts each year just to be sure.
When it comes to costs, I can't do it alone. Not anymore. I went to AC2011 and got my own room all by myself. That's the first, last, and only time I will ever be able to do (and afford) that. In the future, somebody else will have to have better resources and request the room for however many people are going to share it. I usually prefer the Westin, but the Courtyard by Marriot would be second.

Also, I think your Husky fursuit that I see in your Furtopia avatar is great.  So... :)
My husky suit is retired. I already have the design 99% finalized for a new fursuit of a different animal species that I've been working on the last several days. But getting it funded and built........well, it probably won't be ready for quite a few years.......if it happens. Wouldn't be ready till the 30th AC.
--- End quote ---

Kobuk:
What will AC be like in future years for attendence? That's a bit of a scary thought.  :o Probably something that Uncle Kage and the rest of the staff are having nightmares about.  :D Anyway, here's my guesses and thoughts on what could possibly happen.

Currently, AC2019 was at about 9,300+ for attendence. I suspect that by next year, it will probably surpass the 10,000 mark, and may actually be closer to 10,500+/-.
By 2021 which is AC's 25th anniversary, I predict maybe somewhere in the 12,000+/- range.

Looking at this link here:
https://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Anthrocon
.......AC2017 to AC2018 had a nearly 1,000 increase in people attending. Same going from AC2018 to AC2019. If AC were to keep that trend going, I could see them hitting somewhere in the 16,000 to 18,000+/- range by their 30th anniversary. Hitting 20,000 for their 30th would be a long shot. Doubtful it would happen, but who knows? Can AC handle that many people? Possibly. They've got plenty of hotels around the DLCC convention center.

These are just guesses by me. It may seem like a lot, but it isn't. It's a far cry from other cons I've been to, like the Gen Con Game Fair for example. Last time I was at GC in Milwaukee, WI was back in 2002 when it was the last year GC was in Milwaukee before being moved to indianapolis. 2002 year had an attendence of 23,000+/- and the reason GC had to move was due to a lack of hotel space in Milwaukee. Milwaukee had nowhere near the hotel space back then that AC now has. Now that GC has moved to Indianapolis, their attendence has hit around the 60,000+ mark. If AC were to hit that mark, it wouldn't be for a very, very long time to come. They wouldn't even reach that mark for their 50th anniversary. Gaming which is what GC is all about is a far, far bigger hobby/interest than what the furry fandom is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version