Author Topic: Creating a website?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Creating a website?
« on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:07 pm »
Anybody know anything about creating a website? Anybody have a website that they have created?
I'm not looking to create a website now, though I have had ideas from time to time about having a website related to model kit building.

What do I need to know? I don't have any skills or experience with programming or coding if any of that is necessary. I'd be interested in looking for the easiest and simplest ways to get a website up and running.

Would either of the following be good starters:

http://websitesetup.org/
https://wordpress.com/

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Creating a website?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:27:52 am »
while i have not done anything in regards to website design/creation i can say that html and css coding is very easy, and with a little practice you might be able to code a website with it (though if it's only html and css you are pretty much just looking at text, colors, and pictures. no fancy contact forums and stuff) there is likely free code lines out there for more complex stuff but if its pretty much just a image gallery/tutorial thing i believe html and css are all you need.

the other things are domains, how to actually put the code together to make it interact with it's libraries, and servers to host your website. (this stuff i have no experience in)

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 12:23:45 pm »
I tend to use Weebly for my websites, since I don't know code or css at all. The layouts are easy to use and I like how clean most of the templates are.

http://www.weebly.com/

WordPress is an excellent site as well, especially if you use a lot of images or want to start a blog.

Here are my websites. Feel free to take a look. You can use other templates Weebly and WordPress supply to get started.

http://warriorfeathercreations.weebly.com/
http://iarasadventures.wordpress.com/

Way back in the day I used to use a site called Homestead to host my webpages. When it shut down I transferred my work to Breezi, then Webs, then Weebly. At one point I paid $10 a month to have Weebly host my website (Weebly PRO has more features than the free site) but I decided to keep my sites free of charge--it's just easier to manage.

One thing I do recommend also is, if you can afford it, to purchase a domain name. That way you can have your site name as a stand alone, which makes it easier to find online too.

Hope this was of help!  (:
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »
Another concern I have is about security. I'm not very knowledgeable about anti-hacking stuff, website attacks, etc.

And what about popup ads? Any site I did create, I would like to keep popups and other malicious ads off.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:22:25 pm »
You may have visited mine www.oldrabbit.com    I built it from scratch. I used webpage
software to make it. If you wish I can post the name. I can't remember at the moment.
If it's still available it's free.

Most domain provaiders have web page software you can use .. I think  "Godaddy" does.
The coding isn't difficult, but can be time consuming. Depends on how fancy you want
to be.  The days of gif animations are past. Remember to make the page easy to use.

You won't need to worry about pop up ads if you have your own domain. If you use a
low cost subdomain then you will likely have to live with them. You might ask WS if
he would host a domain for you.

I haven't done much with mine since my vision has gotten so poor. I used to updated
it two or three times a week. I have kind of lost interest when Google changed their
search algorithm a few years back. I went from the first page of a search to 40th page. I
thought about creating a Facebook page, but I have about decided to let furtopia show
what art I still do.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:28:17 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:58:29 am »
For my website creation, I prefer to write the html code directly. Software that does it for you tends to include a lot of just that isn't necessary and makes the code harder to read.

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:08:12 am »
kobuk,

If you're still looking, I used to write html code myself, and hosted it online through small webhosts, but I somewhat knew who was doing the hosting to not get taken advantage of.  That's the hardest part, just finding someone that will give you a decent deal and its hard to know who will.  Wordpress seems to put ads on their free sites according to their plans page.  I don't know how big the ads are, but there's no way around it.  Also, they fail to mention how much bandwith you get and what happens if you go over the monthly limit.  Even the paid plans don't list bandwith limits.  Maybe there aren't any, I don't know.  I've heard of them, so they probably aren't a bad place to start if you were really interested in using them.  Couldn't hurt if time is all you have to lose.

The web standards and new coding algorithms (CSS and others) have changed over the years, and I just haven't had the time to learn, so I've let sites like Weebly and Google Sites to do all those fancy little things for me within the past three years.  Yes sometimes they pop in junk redundant code, but nothing I couldn't fix.  I know Google Sites does not put ads on my site, but I don't have my own domain through them (didn't bother me, I think I could point one there if I ever wanted to).  One benefit I suppose is because its google, certain search terms would put my site at #1 or #2 on the first page, so they must automatically code their own hosted sites to rise to the top of their search engine.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 05:11:36 pm »
No one's gonna mention w3schools.com?

It's great for learning to make a website, just actually take time to get your hands dirty and absorb the lessons.

There's also tizag, and code academy, but they don't teach as much as w3schools.

As for hosts? Fast domain.
Free hosting? Byet.host (that's their domain).

If you need a cheap domain name, there's namecheap.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it until you finish the tutorials.
Every now and then...