Author Topic: Ghost In The Shell movie  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Ghost In The Shell movie
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:22:38 pm »
A live action Ghost In The Shell movie based on the anime of the same name, is coming out next year in March. Just from the teaser trailer on YouTube, this looks to be quite a hit. I've even read stories where Japanese fans are pretty impressed.  :o
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(2017_film)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg

If the Wikipedia link doesn't work, don't blame me. It's Wikipedia's fault for using parenthesis which is screwing up the link.  >:(

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Ghost In The Shell movie
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 01:15:15 pm »
They better get this right...... Love that anime series. Never read the manga.  There is a great piece on this at ETC show,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws1QgBvJkuM

This is the only movie I'm excited to see. Will be the first movie I go to see in years.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:29:36 pm »
Scarlet Johansson got the boobies so she sells the tickets. She's also white and Hollywood has a serious issue with recasting Asian roles and more or less erasing Asian actors from cinema altogether. Her casting sickens me and I wish they'd go with somebody else. Even if Masamune Shirow gave them his blessing, it's still extremely screwed up.

Any time Hollywood wants to do a big-budget adaption of such a seminal work in another medium/culture, I ask myself why. The rule of this sort of thing is that you have to have artistic integrity. You have to have a pupose. In my directing class in college, we used "Hamlet on Mars" as an example. Does putting the story in outer space do anything for it or are you just doing that for the sake of spectacle?

This suffers from what I call "Recent Adaption Syndrome". The only people who are interested in a live action Ghost in the Shell film are people who are already fans of it. If they're not sticking with the source material though, those fans aren't going to want to see the film. Fans don't like change. Fans like things exactly how they know they like it. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, it's a an hour and a half episode of a crime show with really good cyberpunk elements.

-That's not what Americans want.
-Stop erasing Asian actors.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »
I'm hoping to go see this film sometime next week. ;) Anybody else planning to see it?

Shim, I understand you don't like Scarlet Johansson to play the lead role of the Major in the film. But here's something I read which you might want to take notice:

http://time.com/4714367/ghost-in-the-shell-controversy-scarlett-johansson/

Director Rupert Sanders recently told CNET that he stands by his casting of Johansson, who he calls “the best actress of my generation and her generation, and the person I felt most embodied the physicality and the ability to inhabit that role.”  The director of the first Ghost in the Shell movie, Mamoru Oshii, agreed but for different reasons, telling IGN: "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name ‘Motoko Kusanagi’ and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her."

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:59:02 pm »
I'm hoping to go see this film sometime next week. ;) Anybody else planning to see it?

Shim, I understand you don't like Scarlet Johansson to play the lead role of the Major in the film. But here's something I read which you might want to take notice:

Director Rupert Sanders recently told CNET that he stands by his casting of Johansson, who he calls “the best actress of my generation and her generation, and the person I felt most embodied the physicality and the ability to inhabit that role.”  The director of the first Ghost in the Shell movie, Mamoru Oshii, agreed but for different reasons, telling IGN: "The Major is a cyborg and her physical form is an entirely assumed one. The name ‘Motoko Kusanagi’ and her current body are not her original name and body, so there is no basis for saying that an Asian actress must portray her."

Of course the director is going to defend his work. What does this prove?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »

If a person's brain is placed inside a bio-mechanical cyborg body, whether in male or female form, then how do we really know what the original biological body was? The cyborg could look female and talk in a female voice, but did the brain actually come from a female body? What if the brain was from a male body, but placed in a cyborg female body that had a feminine voice?

People can say all they want that the Major must be female and must be Asian/Japanese because of the look of the cyborg body and because the anime/movie is in Japan. But the big questions are:
Are you sure? How do you know?

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:30:01 pm »

If a person's brain is placed inside a bio-mechanical cyborg body, whether in male or female form, then how do we really know what the original biological body was? The cyborg could look female and talk in a female voice, but did the brain actually come from a female body? What if the brain was from a male body, but placed in a cyborg female body that had a feminine voice?

People can say all they want that the Major must be female and must be Asian/Japanese because of the look of the cyborg body and because the anime/movie is in Japan. But the big questions are:
Are you sure? How do you know?

Actually yes because if you saw the film,
Spoiler: show
She's revealed to have originally been a Japanese brain put into a white woman's body

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:59:03 pm »
A bit late aren't you, Shim? Took you this long to post a reply.  :P

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 12:07:33 am »
A bit late aren't you, Shim? Took you this long to post a reply.  :P

Got bored. Chcked this thread. Didn't realize the entire thing was more or less a conversation between the two of us. Response is still valid.