Author Topic: Keeping Cool In Costume  (Read 3709 times)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Keeping Cool In Costume
« on: May 13, 2023, 01:57:54 pm »
Do you have any features to your fursuit set-up to add comfort when performing? These may include, but are not limited to, fans, cold pack vests, coolant recirculation garments. Many PPE suppliers offer cooling vests, some of which require soaking before use (an example), but it's likely such evaporative cooling vests would be practical in a fursuit.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Keeping Cool In Costume
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 07:56:46 pm »
I don't fursuit. I do cosplay at steampunk and sci-fi events. My workplace can also exceed 100' with high humidity. I wear under armor or the like. If I'm in full cosplay I'll wear full long sleeve under armor. I'll do the same at work. If it's going to be above 100 I'll do the full body under armor.

From what I understand if your going to invest in a cooling vest go as good as there is. Badly designed vests have been known to cause people to become sick to the point of hypothermia. Get one that is rated to stay at a single temperature. One you can customize to fit your needs. Also best to acclimate or get used to being hot first. Takes a few days. Before wearing one. This will allow your body to naturally help keep cool.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
Re: Keeping Cool In Costume
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 10:03:43 pm »
I use a phase change cooling vest. I have spare inserts in a cooler with ice so they are ready.  I have been known to jam the spare insets into my digilegs to cool them when at rave.
I have a fan in muzzle.
Other than that I just suffer.
I drink over a gallon of Gatorade a day if suiting.
It's brutal.
I do try to condition.  I do wear the sweat wicking garments.
After suiting everything I wear is saturated in sweat.  It's ugly.  I wring them out and hand wash and rinse while at convention hotel room.
I blow fans into fur suit at night when i sleep.

Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)