Author Topic: Is Halloween essential?  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
Is Halloween essential?
« on: September 25, 2020, 10:24:31 pm »
I've been reading news articles about if Halloween was banned and some of the comments were very conceited. Some were saying it should be banned or they're going to be strict with kids saying sorry no trick or treating for you because we don't always get what we want and someone had the nerve to say Halloween isn't essential/necessary and it's better to teach your kid(s) stuff like giving back to the community. That's fine but October is all about spooky time. You can teach your kids any day day of the month. Here's my humble and honest opinion. I think Halloween is very essential especially now. Halloween to me is a tradition a really fun tradition. A lot of people are saying Halloween isn't scary anymore because reality is scarier especially now, true but Halloween gives us the opportunity to celebrate the movie monsters that did scare us or still do, it allows us to overcome what scares us be it a haunted house or going trick or treating without your parents for the first time with your friends. It's about being scarier than what ever is scaring you. It also let's you be who you want to be ie werewolf, pirate, princess or unicorn. You can be scary, cute, silly. Though to me it shouldn't be "sexy" to me Halloween should be scary and fun. But for a lot adult fun is all they want yuck. Any way that's my two cents on that.

But what are your thoughts? Please share!   

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
Re: Is Halloween essential?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:46:09 pm »
Think of the candy-making industry! Especially the chocolate.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:04 pm »
Think of the candy-making industry! Especially the chocolate. And let's not forget those seasonal costume shops that pop up everywhere about this time each year.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 05:13:31 am »
Halloween isn't essential. I've never had anything to do with it, don't particularly like it, and ignore it every year. It hasn't really been about scaring people for a long time -it's an excuse to dress up and get other people to feed your kids sugar. I used to work in a fancy dress shop that saw a lot of business around Halloween. None of our costumes were scary, even to children. Literally none.

I don't care if other people celebrate it, just leave me and people like me out of it.

Anyway, Halloween originally was about honouring spirits, saints and the departed, and keeping those who shouldn't be in this world out. Not just scaring people. People don't do any of that any more.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Hans the husky

• Species: Siberian husky
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »
Halloween is like Christmas. It was a originally a pagan holiday that was commercialized and now has nothing to do with it's orgins. I used to live in the US but now I live in a country where neither Halloween a
or Christmas are celebrated and I can't say that I miss them. If you like halloween then good for you, just don't shove it down others throat.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 02:57:19 pm »
Think of the candy-making industry! Especially the chocolate.

BINGO! If we didn't have Halloween, think of all the lost millions or billions of dollars in lost revenue/profit from making and selling Halloween decorations, candy, costumes, etc. Think of the people employed too. A lot of people employed making candy, working in haunted house theme parks, making decorations, etc. Without Halloween, a lot of people would lose those types of jobs.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 10:49:28 am »
 For me,  although I'm not super involved in Halloween,  I would be bummed if it was ended.
I wish it was very scary but peaceful event, not just candy.  But I do like candy...
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 01:06:06 pm »
I'm not a fan of horror or scary stuff but even I like Halloween. I'm also interested in wicca and paganism so the whole spiritual angle of the holiday appeals to me as well.
I like the idea behind trick or treating, I like the concepts of a community getting together to basically have "spooky christmas", people getting together as a community to carve pumpkins, bake pumpkin pie, decorate their homes all spooky-like, stuff like that. I love it.

And the candy is a big bonus I won't lie. I look forward to Halloween for the gianter bags of candy just like I look forward to easter so I can have dozens and dozens of cadbury creme eggs.
As a holiday, is it essential? Well, I think so. I think Halloween needs to be preserved as part of american culture. You can't deny that Halloween has impacted our culture in incredible ways. Whether it be the drive to make tons of candy to fuel the corporate capitalists, or running a spook house, or just decorating everything in orange.
And the religious folks of extreme christianity who want to turn the holiday into some kind of evil witch party where people gather to practice black magic and find some way to kill jesus again are just a hoot to listen to with their rabid paranoia about magic and demons.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 07:31:09 pm »
Think of Old Rabbit. Think of how he'd feel if there was no Halloween. He's the one making and handing out Halloween themed cookies and cupcakes. He'd be devastated if he lost his job due to no Halloween.  :'(

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 10:18:06 pm »
 Kay you got me laughing a bit there! Thanks!

There are some candies that seem more prevalent during Halloween and you don't get to see them otherwise.
I might miss that if the holiday disappears.

I like Halloween, because I can be a little goofy and I know my sister likes it because it is pagan and she is wikka.  She has played it up and spooked people so bad.  So it's nice she gets her holiday.  I guess...
Plus she has always liked it.

I don't mind seeing creative costumes, or just enthusiastic kids.  It's also fun to give them health food instead of candy and watch their faces drop. And the parents are like.. " welp  better luck next time kids".
And when I was growing up, in our neighborhood, you could get TP'd or egged.   It put a feeling of electricity in the air.  A little mischief,  a bunch of candy,  weird costumes,  stupid props,  it's all good.  Also since my mom hates Halloween with a passion,  it was even more fun.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline BlueStreak

• Species: Red Fox
  • Central Ohio's Original Fox
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 01:00:53 am »
There are a lot of events that haven't occurred this year because of Covid. While I could conceivably see ways for Trick or Treating to be done with some social distancing, it's still going door to door with children (who generally aren't renowned for their great hygiene). And I don't think Halloween parties are a good idea at all.

As I've said for a while now, if we take our medicine now and be good, we can get back to normal faster. The more we fail to follow safe procedures, the longer we make this last.