Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Would like to change one statement from the above post. The oil point I've stet up for doing line study lasts for days. House makes it sound to close to acrylics. But I guess 96 hours is hours. However comparing that to a workable time of up to ten minutes is kinda understated.

This will be my last post in 'A rat's journey into art. Acrylic paint'. I'll start a new thread for oil painting. With paintings. And lots more to rant about. My journey so far. Watercolors: The paper and paint control you. One mistake and your threw. Acrylics: You have two choices. You have five minutes to paint the entire painting. Or Make mounds of paint so high you can cut through the already hardened plastic to the still workable paint below. Oils: You can control the drying time of the paint. You can sculpt by moving wet paint around. Had I known it was possible to paint with oils without all the toxic chemicals I would have started with them.

Thanks everyone for reading through all this. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the oil painting thread.

Cause the Rat.
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by cause the rat on July 29, 2021, 07:20:56 pm »
Kay, have you tried Target's on line store?

What grinds my gears? EVERYTHING. I'm old. :) I enjoy an underground music scene. One to four stringed home made guitars. What grinds my gears is these folks are completely against standard guitar tuning. To the point were someone introduced the New Arkansas Tuning for four cigar box guitars. Clamming this NEW tuning idea opens up a lot of possibilities. It's a big chunk of standard tuning. Standard tuning for a six string guitar is EADGBE. This brand new Arkansas tuning is EADG. Because if you come out and call it standard tuning people will reject the idea completely.
news forum / Re: Trump the GOP and Democrats. A new path or more of the same.
« Last post by Old Rabbit on July 29, 2021, 12:33:05 pm »

So far the GOP and Trump have been trying to call the invasion of the capital by
supporters of Trump some kind of love fest. According to testimony by capital
police the invaders were shouting they were there on Trump's orders. Also these
invaders were attacking, not loving anyone but Trump. It's strange how GOP
congressmen who were being protected by the police, are now misrepresenting
the police. Apparently trying to protect Trump their king. Just shows what some
 GOP members of congress will do trying to hang on to political power.
-
A select committee will be investigating this January 6 insurrection  against the
U S capital. The GOP is trying to stop any investigation for fear it will keep them
from gaining control of the U S House and Senate in the 2022 mid term election.
So we can be sure any GOP member required to testify will attempt to drag their
feet so to speak. In the past GOP members have  successfully delayed showing
up for nearly 2 years. They know this select committee will be forced to end with
a new congress in 2023. So if they manage to regain the house in the mid term
election they can stop any investigation that might harm their chance to regain
the White House in 2024.

The sad thing is by using the filibuster rule, the GOP prevented a vote to create a
independent commission to investigate the January 6 insurrection. A commission
that would not be under congressional control. Instead  the GOP, possibly under
Trump's instruction made sure a non partisan independent commission would not
be  created. Apparently to protect the GOP, and Trump to hide any  connection there might be between them and the insurrection of January 6, 2021.

My adolescents is over. From this point in time on it's nothing but serious studies. I had fun throwing paint. Glad I used 3x5s to play with. Can imagine all the paint I of wasted if I did all those on 8x10 or 10x12 panels. I'll still be using the same 3x5 format. Turning them upright to give more room to work on the changes in value and color that creates the illusion of depth. Also known as. 'The Theory of Angles and Consequent Values'. That's a thing. It's part of color theory. Then there's the 'Theory of Halation' or how we visually perceive two objects of contrasting color and value when they are next to each other.  These two theories are covered in depth in a book I was recommended. 'Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting'. This book was originally published in 1929. However the English used is much older. Reads more like a manuscript from the mid 1800's.

Gone back to doing brush control exercises. There is one really big difference between doing these in oil instead of acrylics. When mixing the oil paint to the consistency I need it stays good for hours. Acrylics harden up quickly. Spent most of my time remixing. I can tell I let this go for a bit. My arm gets tired quickly again. 
general non-furry discussion / Re: What really "grinds your gears"?
« Last post by Kay Alett on July 27, 2021, 09:09:45 pm »
what's grinding my gears here lately is there's a new transformer figure of Bumblebee and it's a target exclusive and I don't live anywhere near a target!
On top of that none of my friends are near it. I do have one friend who works there but I feel like a heel asking her cause I've been kinda quiet for several months. It would make it seem like I'm only talking to her again to get her to get me a toy.

I hate exclusivity deals.
general furry discussion / Re: Netflix series: "Sexy Beasts"
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on July 27, 2021, 08:56:11 pm »
I'm not quite "there" yet, but making progress. Reminds me of stories involving the Planet of The Apes Series from the 1970s. Those actors spent hours in makeup and couldn't just remove the masks for the lunch break. Roddy McDowell had to go to the dentist that way IIRC.
general furry discussion / Re: Faded Furs
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on July 27, 2021, 08:50:14 pm »
There was CuteFoxie in Canada who often commented on my YouTube uploads. A fursuiter of course, but no word in several years.
general non-furry discussion / Re: What Are You Up To?
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on July 27, 2021, 08:46:06 pm »
Some light gardening--watering tomatoes. Get out the mower and do the last patch out back.
general non-furry discussion / Re: The Milsurp Thread
« Last post by Rocket T. Coyote on July 27, 2021, 08:41:58 pm »
Growing up we had a "Mill End" store downtown which had a lot of milsurp. Bought a couple anti-exposure suits and a C-ration brownie that was pretty good actually. They also had plenty of ammo cans. A few years before they closed forever, there was a ton of stuff from Europe--Germany especially--East and West. Gas masks, web gear, medals, badges, helmets and wool blankets. You could find the store's six-toed cat easily, she would camp out on a stack of blankets.
general non-furry discussion / Re: Local weather
« Last post by Jade Sinapu on July 26, 2021, 12:01:23 am »
Had a stormy night here.  Rainy.  I like it.
Lightning hit a tree very near me, as I was outside.. got my heart moving.  I felt alive for once.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10