Author Topic: I am a [insert species] ...  (Read 12401 times)

Offline neweinstein

• Male
    • Furaffinity account
I am a [insert species] ...
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
I often hear/read from other furries (and I have written/said it myself): "I am a [insert species]", so in my case something like "I am a cat" or "I am a snow leopard" ... when I look in the mirror I am still very human ... and at least I would like to keep it that way.

Sorry if I annoy someone ... but why are we talking like that? Do we really believe in us being a certain animal? Shouldnt it be more something like "my fursona is a ..."?? Or is the life a big roleplay where we immerse ourself that much in the role of our fursona?

What do you think? How do you keep it? I always feel a bit strange to say that I actally am a snow leopard ... because its simply not true ...

EIN
I am running a fundraiser for the "Snow Leopard Trust"
more info: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/3145860/
icon/avatar by "N.Z."

Offline FelixTheFox

• Male
Re: I am a [insert species] ...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »
The way I think of it is that by saying "I am a fox" rather than "my fursona is a fox" makes me feel closer to my fursona. Feeling like I am actually him = instant :) :) :)
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

Offline Brunn

• Baa-Grr!
  • Female
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »
For me, when I say "I'm a bear goat", it's just a shortening of the phrase "My fursona is a bear-goat". I would really only be saying this to a fellow fur anyway, who would understand the connotation. I don't actually believe I'm a real bear-goat, especially since that animal doesn't even exist! I think for most it's just a quicker way of stating what your character is, since all furs are going to understand you're referring to your fursona.

Of course, it may be different for therians, or people of certain spiritual beliefs, but I'm not so I can't really comment!

~~Brunn~~
Please feel free to check out my Blog and my DeviantART!

Offline Mylo

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:24:07 pm »
Well, I think its pretty evident that in real life we are all humans (considering we are the only species that can type and communicate via computers).  Saying something like "I'm an arctic fox" adds to the fun and role play of logging into a furry website.  Saying something like "My fursona is an arctic fox" is pretty much the same to me, because when I talk on these websites, I am my fursona.

Offline Sk Skunk

• TANSTAAFL
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »
My fursona is an expression of myself. I found many similarities between my behavior and skunks, that is why I made that choice. In reality, I likely just took on the parts of skunk behavior that fit within my own mind, as apposed to being a reincarnated skunk.

There are folks that do think there is more to this "hobby" than others do. I respect their beliefs and don't rule anything out in these regards. I came up with the quote in my signature to express the thought.
"Who am I to say where my possibly non-existent soul has or has not been."

Offline Grizztof Grünwald

• Yay!
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:02 pm »
Enjoying fictional things requires a willing suspension of disbelief. When I go watch a movie, I know Denzel Washington is pretending to be the lead character, but to enjoy the movie, I have to let myself *forget* that *he is not that character.* It's the same thing with furry. I logically know that I am talking with people, but I let myself *forget* that *they are not actually their fursonas.*

By the way, I am an Alaskan Malamute. Good to meet you. :D

*huggles the SK Skunk*
Twitter: @grizztof
FA user: grizztof
Youtube channel: grizztof

Offline Kael

• Credit to Saiyu for the awesome pic!
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:51 pm »
Well, I think its pretty evident that in real life we are all humans (considering we are the only species that can type and communicate via computers).

That's what YOU think... >.>

Anyway, I only say I'm a panther or dragon because I feel that in many actions, I AM my fursona. More likely, I say, "I'm Kael, the Panther Wizard." Or "I'm Jarmakla, the raging red dragon." They reflect different parts of me. And my friends know the difference between the two, so saying, "Feeling Kael right now" helps give then a bit of a standard to go off of.

But, I digress.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:16:53 pm by Kael »
The brain is capable of amazing things. If we could unlock its full power, magic would truly exist.

And it does get so much better!

Offline Wanderer

• Keep your eyes on the horizon
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »
We say this because our fursonas are just an extension of ourselves. To say "my fursona is" would be like talking about a seperate person or character when your fursona is just an extension of your own self. We consider ourselves to be whatever species we are because it makes us who we are we connect to it. We could connect to it because it represents your personality or helps spiritually or just looks cool. It doesnt matter how you say it as long as you know what it means.

As long as you are happy it does not matter how it is interpreted or represented.
"Journey for you may never know where the road takes you."-Wanderer

"Tis not the destination that matters, but tis the journey that makes us"- Wanderer

"Destined to travel the roads of time, the Wanderer walks the path with prejudice, ready for the masters of death that lie before him."- Jet

Offline furtopia02

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:23 pm »
I say "I'm a Coyote" or "I'm a Buizel!" because when I say it here I'm in character of course. :) In person I'd be saying the "my persona is a coyote" line.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:55:29 am »
Well, I think its pretty evident that in real life we are all humans (considering we are the only species that can type and communicate via computers).

Pfft. You humans are the only species that needs to type to communicate via computers. 8)

Offline typingwithpaws

• Species: fox
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:34:49 am »
speaking from your characters point of view is fun.

but it puts one in danger of doing it in an inappropriate place, eg at work.
"Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and elegance of a bad idea"

Offline neweinstein

• Male
    • Furaffinity account
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:42:05 pm »
sorry for not coming back to this thread earlier ...

thanks for your opinions: So it comes down mainly to two things. Either just leaving out the word "fursona" to make it simpler or in case if were on the internet its done more or less as a roleplay where we "are" our character ...

But as typingwithpaws said: Can be dangerous if your surrounded by non-furries and then fall back into these habits ... LOL ... Like I meet someone at work "Hi I am neweinstein and I am a snow leopard ... ehhhhh ... sorry ... forget about that part" ... LOL

I think here it can become a bit awkward if the level of identification is to high and one is no longer able to kind of switch back

EIN
I am running a fundraiser for the "Snow Leopard Trust"
more info: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/3145860/
icon/avatar by "N.Z."

Offline Milde

• Female
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »
I thought that identifying as the species bordered on the territory of being considered a therianthrope or otherkin, rather than having a representational character such as a fursona?

Offline Jet

• The Former Furryglowstick
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:37 pm »
I don't necessarily see myself as spiritually connected to my fursona. Although I feel somewhat spiritually connected to everything in my life, even small things, like what I eat or injuries I sustain like small cuts and stuff. But I view my furriness as more of a large Role Play, in which I am a Husky Shepherd. I don't know if my spirit is a dog, but I don't deny this theory either. I just have fun and this character is the way I can express myself and be something I'm not. An avenue of escapism if you will.
"Miniscule conflicts are insignificant in relation to the paradox of life itself." - Me, Josh Karels

PLUR

Offline Avan

• Species: Azemdyn Sabertooth Hyena
    • Our FA
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:16 pm »
I am an azarian. What that means is that I am a specific class of entity that fits the definition for azarian (defined as a type of mind). Really, it functions no different than if I were to say "I am an artist" or "I am an engineer".

Anyways, generally the phrase is taken to mean 'I represent myself as...' as opposed to in a more literal sense within the furry fandom.
We are Dissociated Identities.

Avatar is of Avan-Syr (Saberyeen)
Old links to art sites we need to update:
Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/~avankaira
My FA page: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/avanwolf/

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/avan_wolf/

Offline Cirocco the Silver Fox

• Male
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 03:42:46 am »
My fursona is a representation of myself - albeit a more ideal, and fuzzy one. Ergo when in reference to "I am a red fox - a simple vulpes vulpes" I am referencing my fursona as a character and more so the attachment and connection I have to it. I look in the mirror and I am as much a human as I am Cirocco - genetically, biologically and for all intents and purposes I am a human. Being human makes more sense with being Cirocco the fox inside.

I don't believe that I am spiritually a fox, it simply represents certain aspects of my personality and inner persona. Ever since I created my first fursona, which while I've gone through a few changes I've always been a fox, life as a human being has made more sense to me. Something felt like it was missing in my mind, and I don't know how or why  but what was missing is nicely filled by my more ideal representation.

Even the name was specifically chosen for symbolism and meaning, just as his fur coloration was. Even my most recent ex took to calling me Cirocco in person, simply because Cirocco is a representation of myself - everything he does either are the things I wish I could do, or actually do. Cirocco is the more ideal version of myself and isn't quite bound to the same limitations of I; this is simply because he represents the perfect me that beats within my heart.

Hence why I say "I am a red fox"; it represents my fursona - who for all intents and purposes is me, at least the ideal me.
I chase the wind, but have no dreams of catching it.

Today is all we have - Personal Mantra

Offline cougarnick

• Male
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:30 am »
i am a cougar.my fursona is a cougar.it represents me as a furry.cougars to me represents a creature very,very,awesome!it solitary,like me,but when it isnt,it mingles with very few others.like mating.

Offline Enchantingly

• Love and Light!
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 07:32:35 pm »
For me, when I say "I'm a bear goat", it's just a shortening of the phrase "My fursona is a bear-goat". I would really only be saying this to a fellow fur anyway, who would understand the connotation. I don't actually believe I'm a real bear-goat, especially since that animal doesn't even exist! I think for most it's just a quicker way of stating what your character is, since all furs are going to understand you're referring to your fursona.

Of course, it may be different for therians, or people of certain spiritual beliefs, but I'm not so I can't really comment!

~~Brunn~~
This is an excellent answer to the first post. It's all a matter of communication, it doesn't literally mean that we believe that we actually are animals, although coming from my perspective of having spiritual beliefs, we are all the same soul inhabiting different forms. So it's pretty easy for me to let go of my own idea of myself as just a human being. I can mentally shift my ego to take on the persona of a lion, of ants walking under my feet, of a tree growing straight against the harsh elements, I really do feel a common connection with all life on our planet. Often times, when I'm playing with my ego, I like to take on the personality of a lion. These are all just little dreams and fantasies in our heads, which we choose to talk about openly with each other. No one is pressuring anyone to be a certain way here. That's the beauty of the fandom, we all come as we are, and it goes from there.
"Truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley

Offline Aliikaiokai

• Male
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 12:32:19 am »
Read my post "the depressing truth" in furries on furry to get the picture of me

Offline Ryffnah

• Female
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:00 am »

Statistics show that 63% of all internet users are actually dogs, using their household computers while their owners are away at work.

The remaining 37% are cats.

Gerbils, hamsters, and you -- the person reading this; the sole human being on the entire internet -- make up less than one full percent.  Everyone else you're interacting with is really a household pet.
Is there really a cat paradise?  Find out in Otters In Space.

Spies!  Jet packs!  And a water-phobic feline surrounded by otters!  IN SPACE!  Experience it all in Otters In Space 2: Jupiter, Deadly

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 08:11:11 pm »
Personally, if I had the option to be my fursona in the flesh, I would, without hesitation, as I'm sure a lot of us would. I do consider myself to be my fursona, because I always act as if I am physically my fursona, short of licking my friends with a gravelly tongue. :3
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code

Offline Thornbrier

• World Builder
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 05:56:48 am »
Chakat ThornBrier here, as you can guess, I am a Chakat. For me this phase is a little more than just "my fursona is a chakat." I have many Fursonae, all of them are a part of ME, but I never said 'I am a squirrel' or 'I am a xinurec.' Until I 'became' Chakat ThornBrier a few weeks ago I often flipped around between my fursonae quite rapidly. 'Being' any one of them just wouldn't have been appropriate. But being Chakat has stabilized me.

Therians have been brought up here already, and aside from the arrogance and hostility I commonly see in Therians, I find myself identifying with them despite not believing in the supernatural of any kind.

Essentially, to me, mentally, I am a Chakat, and I thank Bernard Doove (Goldfur) for creating them.  I even tried creating my own version. The Shozi are something uniquely mine, but inspired by Chakats, and its not me. I am Chakat.

Ironically, I used to be a follower of The Secret and Abraham's "Law of Attraction," but I realized it was all bunk because their teachings said I could have that which I desired, but as I looked deeper into their ways, they said I would never become Chakat physically.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »
I am as we all are Human in the real world.  It allows me to be anythihg I
desire in fantasy.  If I could I would be a shapeshifter so I could experience
being other creatures.

I feel a kinship to rabbits since I am generally shy and not very out
going.  So I may be there but usually hidden. I know other creatures
have a similar nature, but I just don't feel the same with them.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48:34 am »
I often hear/read from other furries (and I have written/said it myself): "I am a [insert species]", so in my case something like "I am a cat" or "I am a snow leopard" ... when I look in the mirror I am still very human ... and at least I would like to keep it that way.

Sorry if I annoy someone ... but why are we talking like that? Do we really believe in us being a certain animal? Shouldnt it be more something like "my fursona is a ..."?? Or is the life a big roleplay where we immerse ourself that much in the role of our fursona?

What do you think? How do you keep it? I always feel a bit strange to say that I actally am a snow leopard ... because its simply not true ...

EIN

I think it's a personal choice to say that, e.g., "I am Iara, a Velociraptor-Bambiraptor. And you?" and actually believe that one is their fursona. I choose to be human, and at times use my fursona as an extension of my inner self, which happens to be in the form of a dinosaur (or an equine, or more recently, a feline). On furry websites and online, for example, fellow furs know me to be Iara, the dinosaur. In real life, very few people know of this side of me, in terms of 'being' my fursona, and for the most part I am an ordinary human woman.

Whenever I introduce my fursona, I use their name...Iara likes cheese, for example. Or Iara is my fursona. I typically do this to separate the mask of the fursona from my own self. Granted, Iara is still a part of me, she always has been. But I choose to be human and I am happy that way.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Amy

• A transsexual kitty ^-^
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:18 am »
For me, my fursona IS me. I act the exact same way as my fursona does, so I consider myself and my fursona the same thing, minus the fur. :P
Skype- amyandrews27

Furry Code