4 (25%)
Moderately worried.
4 (25%)
Substantially worried.
4 (25%)
Panic mode!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Are you worried about the Coronavirus?  (Read 23703 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Are you worried about the Coronavirus?
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:23:18 pm »
As of this posting, at least 95,000+/- people have been infected with the coronavirus around the world. The majority of them primarily being in China. And of that amount being infected, at least 3,000+/- have died. Again, the majority being in China.

How worried are you about this new infection that's being spread around the world? How prepared are you for it?  What are your concerns, questions, fears about this new epidemic?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/health/coronavirus-community-spread-us-response-explainer/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/health/how-to-prepare-coronavirus-united-states-explainer/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/coronavirus-us-emergency-preparations/index.html

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Re: Are you worried about the Coronavirus?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:05 pm »
So for the virus has the same amount of deaths in elderly and those with pre existing medical conditions as pneumonia. With a survival rate of better than 96%.  It's also got the very same spreadability as any other flue virus. Not knocking the severity of it. Or those who have it and will get it. Just not enjoying the amount of over the top hype some news agencies are using to get ratings. Fox just claimed the coverage is being 'weaponized' to attack trump. Everyone's reporting how many and how fast. No one is reporting survival rate.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:43:43 pm »
I guess I don't get how corona virus news had anything to do with Trump. 

I worry some because I live with someone with a depressed/ compromised immune system.  I'm afraid I might bring it home to them.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:06:13 pm »
I guess the 1 or 2 things that bother me about this coronavirus is that I've read a few scattered reports that say about 20,000+/- people have recovered from the virus in China and elsewhere, but nobody is saying how? Everything about the coronavirus in the news is negative. Nothing positive. How did these people recover? What were they doing or taking?

Something else I've never seen the news question and report on is if this coronavirus was something that accidentally or intentionally was released from a bio-warfare lab? Could it be something the military was testing? It's no secret that China, Russia, North Korea, the U.S., and other countries test bio-warfare agents.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 12:14:59 am »
 My folks said it was reported to be a swine virus that mutated to affect humans. 

I've also heard that it's very virulent, meaning high 90% chance you will get infected from it, but it is not a serious killer like H1N1flu pandemic.  I guess many who get it, get ill, and then recover naturally through immune system response.

I would check out CDC and other reputable sites.

My work place is requiring all who travel to not go to China,  Japan,  parts of Asia,  parts of Europe,  and to also tell employer if a family member does do that.
My work place even sent out corona virus flyers
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:25:48 pm by Jade Sinapu »
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:11:48 pm »
Statistics as of 10pm EST that I read from CNN.

Now let me ask: Does this sound like a pandemic to you? There's at least 8 billion (8,000,000,000) people on Earth. And out of that amount, only 92,000+ have gotten ill from the coronavirus and 3,000+ have died. The regular influenza (Flu) has a much greater chance of being worse than the coronavirus and infecting you and/or killing you. We are far, far away from the coronavirus being classified as a pandemic.

At least 3,200 people around the world have died from coronavirus and 92,862 have been infected.

In China, another 38 people died as of the end of Tuesday, bringing the death toll in mainland China to 2,981, according to China’s National Health Commission (NHC).

Of the 38 people who died, 37 were in Hubei province, where the outbreak began

Confirmed cases in mainland China increased by 119, as of the end of Tuesday, with 115 in Hubei.

In total, 80,270 people have been infected with coronavirus in mainland China since the start of the outbreak. According to the NHC, a total of 49,856 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital.

A total of 219 deaths have been recorded outside mainland China.

Here's the breakdown:

Italy: 79
    Iran: 77
    South Korea: 32
    Japan: 12
    United States: 9
    France: 4
    Hong Kong: 2
    Taiwan: 1
    Australia: 1
    Thailand: 1
    Philippines: 1

In the U.S. -

Nine people have died from coronavirus in the United States and 125 have been infected, according to authorities.

Those include 48 cases from repatriated citizens, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The other 77 cases are spread across 13 states. 

These numbers include presumptive positive cases that tested positive in a public health lab and are pending confirmation from the CDC, and confirmed cases that have received positive results from the CDC.

Here's a state-by-state breakdown:

Arizona: 2
    California: 26
    Florida: 3
    Georgia: 2
    Illinois: 4
    Massachusetts: 2
    New Hampshire: 2
    New York: 2
    North Carolina: 1
    Oregon: 3
    Rhode Island: 2
    Washington state: 27 (includes 9 deaths)
    Wisconsin: 1

And here's where the repatriated cases came from:

Diamond Princess cruise ship: 45
    Wuhan, China: 3

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 08:28:10 pm »
 I've heard from a coworker that someone connected to the high School here in my town, has corona virus.  But that is unconfirmed.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 11:18:20 pm »
This is what I was afraid of. It likely all started in a Chinese animal food market. The Chinese need to ban such markets. But I doubt it will be easy or have much effect. It could do more harm than good as I fear it would just lead to people dealing more in lucrative and secret "black market" trade/business.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/asia/china-coronavirus-wildlife-consumption-ban-intl-hnk/index.html

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 12:23:40 am »
Colorado now has about 13 cases...Reported on Colorado Springs news.  Most unconfirmed, but very likely COVID19.
No deaths reported.
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »
Not even furry conventions are immune to the coronavirus.  :o Here's what Anthrocon had to say on it's website.
https://www.anthrocon.org/news/covid-19

I can't help but wonder how many other furry cons will either postpone or cancel their conventions?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:38 pm »
I've been doing grocery shopping the last few days to try and stock up on supplies. Not in a panic mode and hoarding stuff, but rather just getting a few extra essentials "just in case". Here's what I've seen so far in stores.

Disinfectant sprays and cleaners - Pretty much all gone. Good luck getting any. You'll need a miracle.

Hand sanitizer - You'd need a miracle for this one. Not gonna happen.  :P

Bar soap - Slight increase in buying, but not that much.

Liquid hand soap - Increased buying of this, particuarly if it says "anti-bacterial" on the bottle.

Bleach - Buying frenzy on this. Good luck getting any for laundry purposes.

Face masks - You'd need a miracle finding any.  :P

Latex gloves or other medical type gloves - Increased buying of this.

Toilet paper - Buying frenzy on this.

Aspirin, Cold/Flu medications, and other over the counter medications - I haven't been paying much attention to this. I suppose there is increased buying. But a lot of over the counter medicines and medications will NOT prevent/stop the coronavirus.

Bottled water - Slight increase.

Mini travel size packages of hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes, etc. - Good luck finding any. These are going really fast.

Food - I'm not sure what is and isn't selling fast. Non-perishable food items like soups for instance may be a necessity. If people find themselves quarantined at home for 2-3 weeks, it may be a good idea to stock up on 2-3 weeks worth of food just in case. Try to buy boxes or packages of food items that will make a lot so that you have leftovers for a few days afterward.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:20 am »
 Why is toilet paper being bought for a respiratory virus? Are people expecting to cough so much they need a change of underwear?
(Name that tune!)

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 03:27:50 am »
Why is toilet paper being bought for a respiratory virus? Are people expecting to cough so much they need a change of underwear?

More or less people preparing if they have to be quarantined for 2-3weeks and can't leave there house. That's all I can see it as. It's also a bit stupid with all this panic buying.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:18 am »
Went to Wal-Mart this morning. Soups and paper towels were getting wiped out. Even the instant ramen too. But the thing about paper towels is that they are not flushable the way toilet paper is. You can't and shouldn't use it as a substitute for toilet paper otherwise it will clog up your toilet.
But are people listening? Nope. Goes in one ear and comes out the other.  :P Stupid.

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 02:31:39 pm »
Just like a flu. If your healthy don't worry about it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/health/coronavirus-survivor-elizabeth-schneider/index.html

Moe and more people are coming forward and telling what it's like to have this. 
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:42 pm »
 I'm glad this woman came out ok.
But 103F fever is nothing to sneeze at. It is considered high grade fever. 
108F is where brain damage happens. 
I Used to have a neighbor who was in her 70's who got scarlet fever as a teenager and became deaf from the fever she got.  Her fever was 105F.what is typical accuracy of a household thermometer? 1 degree F?
I don't want to chance getting maimed by high fever.

When I was a teenager I had the flu and a high grade fever.  I then came down with joint issues which never left me. 

I would rather avoid this one,  and get a vaccine if it becomes available.

Every body is different,  and since my body hasn't gotten this germ before,  I do not know how I will respond to it. Besides I do not have time off from work to cover 2 weeks recovery.  Maybe 1 week.

I will try to not panic and hope for the best.  Because I bet I will get it.

Not everyone who encounters a germ survives,  most do.  But a fever is a sure sign a fight for your life is taking place in your body, a war is being waged and your life is the price of failure.
It's a miracle we can get a high fever that kills germs without cooking our body till we get brain damage.

Miracles seldom visit me.

But still, this lady survived.... so maybe I can too.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:30:47 pm by Jade Sinapu »
(Name that tune!)

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 07:49:01 pm »
Not worried about some virus, rather I'm more concerned about dealing with stupid people.

I mean come on, the news media is near criminally irresponsible. Showing empty store shelves and scarring people with apocalyptic predictions.
The stores are not out of anything. Walmart and most major chain grocery stores restock every night.
My local grocery store does the same. Toilet paper, bottled water, lysol, or whatever is there in the morning. But by noon its all gone again. They don't restock during the day because they don't want to be bothered by crazy people.
Not restocking also creates artificial scarcity, which is good for business as concerned people buy other things.

Now if we could figure out how to mutate the virus to only target the dumb people, all our problems would be solved.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 10:15:36 pm »
According to the American medical journal between 22000 to 55000 people die of the flue each year. Get it and get over it.

Storm, ya our local walmarts is the same. As with the rest of the stores around here. I have 18 rolls of TP in the house. That'll last me till mid May. No clue as to why people think they need 100+ rolls. Hoping Walmarts quads the price. Let em pay four times as much for being morons.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 10:42:03 pm »
It's not necessarily the virus I'm scared of (Well, I am a bit.), but rather what comes next.  :o  Fighting, riots, looting, stealing and robberies, stupid jerks with guns, and worst case scenario..........martial law.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of what's going on right now in the world. And you can't tell me that other people aren't a little worried, concerned, or scared too. Some people might try to put on a brave face and say they aren't worried. But deep down inside, everyone is feeling a bit scared, whether it's a large or tiny amount.

Nobody knows for sure how long this coronavirus pandemic will last. All of society has changed due to this virus outbreak. Sports, Entertainment, School, Travel, and so much more. We can't do things like we used to anymore until we get this outbreak under control........if we can.

Viruses can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and however they want.
Viruses do not obey rules, laws, restrictions, or regulations.
Viruses are immune to borders.
Viruses can mutate at any time.
Viruses can come during any day, week, month, year, or season.
Viruses do not discriminate between the young, old, male, female, Nationality, or any other demographic.
Viruses can and will kill.

I get tired of hearing people say the media is all to blame for the fear and panic going about.  >:( That certainly is not true. Yes, the media is PARTLY to blame. But the average ordinary public is just as much, if not more, to blame for the mass hysteria as the news media.
When you've got people who get so much information about the coronavirus from so many sources, sometimes it can be difficult to know what is fact vs. what is fiction. When people don't have reliable sources of info. and don't know what to do and so forth, that creates fear and confusion.

So it's not necessarily the media like CNN, FOX, MSNBC, and other media outlets that's to blame for all the panic.
It can also be, but not limited to:
YouTube
The Dark Web
Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
Federal agencies
Hospitals
Neighbors
Friends
Family
Politicians
Magazines
Books
Newspapers
Radio
.......and worst of all, conspiracy theorists.  >:(

You can't pin the blame on any single one group, person, or organization. EVERYBODY IS TO BLAME.

As for panic buying, I'm seeing stores run out of everything. Entire food aisles empty.

Now if we could figure out how to mutate the virus to only target the dumb people, all our problems would be solved.

The world might have run out of common sense. But there's an amply supply of stupidity.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 10:53:14 pm »
According to the American medical journal between 22000 to 55000 people die of the flue each year. Get it and get over it.

Storm, ya our local walmarts is the same. As with the rest of the stores around here. I have 18 rolls of TP in the house. That'll last me till mid May. No clue as to why people think they need 100+ rolls. Hoping Walmarts quads the price. Let em pay four times as much for being morons.

Let's just hope none of us or the ones we love are the 22,000 this year who die from a virus.
Too bad it's just hope. 
I'll put more stock in science and protecting myself , not hope. 
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 11:11:21 pm »
China's decrease in death toll and new cases continues

From CNN’s Shanshan Wang in Beijing

China confirmed 20 new cases and 10 deaths today -- a slight uptick from the previous few days, but still consistent with a general downward trend this week.

The new numbers bring the country's total to 80,844 cases and 3,199 deaths, according to the National Health Commission.

Of these total cases, 66,911 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital, said the NHC.

The past few days have seen falling numbers of daily new cases -- down to a dozen or so, compared to just a few weeks ago, when country reported thousands of new cases a day.

Maybe there's some good news after all? If China's cases can come down, then maybe the U.S. and the rest of the world can too? But only if America and the rest of the world can be as tough and proactive as what China has been in combatting the coronavirus.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 02:49:03 pm »
A few things that really have me worried right now is:
Public transit such as buses for example.
Mail service
Banks

I'm most particuarly worried about buses and banks. I can't own and drive a car due to bad eyesight. So I depend on the bus to get around. Particuarly to the grocery store. If the buses stop running, I'm screwed.  x_x
Banks are another issue. How are people supposed get get money if the banks are closed?

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 06:38:00 pm »
Courthouses might be next. My second job got shutdown since it's a non-essential business.Sucks but luckily my other job doesn't plan on shutting  down anytime soon
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:41:25 pm by Amducious »
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:20 pm »
Courthouses might be next. My second job got shutdown since it's a non-essential business.Sucks but luckily my other job doesn't plan on shutting  down anytime soon

Courthouses ALREADY are next. I've read a lot of news reports of courthouses being closed and cases being postponed to later dates.

P.S. - Kobuk's Cafe in Furtopia City will be reducing hours of operation to 9am to 5pm. Also dining-in option will no longer be available. We also have no delivery service as we are too small a business. But we will offer take-out as an option.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 11:02:42 pm »
Website for finding the latest statistics on the coronavirus.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I should have made the poll so that members could change their votes if they wanted to. Too late now. :(  I voted I was a little worried about this virus when I originally created this poll/thread. But now after a few weeks, I am considerably worried.  :'(