Poll

Should U.S. flag images be on clothing and other household items?

Yes, allow it. It does not violate the U.S. flag code.
7 (58.3%)
No, do not allow flag imagery on clothing and other merchandise.
1 (8.3%)
Undecided
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: U.S. Flag Code  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
U.S. Flag Code
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:03:09 pm »
I got into a bit of a heated debate with another person on Facebook about the U.S. Flag Code. :( He had posted the following image (Below) and he had said to the effect that he didn't like flag imagery on facemasks, tshirts, etc. as I suspect it violated the U.S. Flag Code according to him.

I countered and said that I was planning to buy the following shirt and that I did not think it violated the 3rd and 4th guidelines from the bottom of the flag code list.

https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Eagle-Talon-T-Shirt-Medium/dp/B001U386EI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+mountain+flag+tshirt&qid=1592164240&sr=8-1

The U.S. Flag Code is a set of "guidelines" (Not Orders, Rules, or Laws.) on how an actual U.S. flag that you see on a flagpole or in a parade, etc. should and should not be displayed and used. But some people tend to interpret the flag code a little too strictly. If the flag code were enforced extremely strictly, you wouldn't see the thousands and millions of napkins, ties, swimsuits, shoes, and other merchandise with the U.S. flag image on it. All that "economic revenue" from making those things would be gone. And so would the thousands of jobs to make those items. Do we really want to create "more" unemployment? Thanki God there's no politically correct "Flag Police" marching down neighborhood streets and enforcing how the flag should be displayed on our house front porches.

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
Re: U.S. Flag Code
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 07:44:54 pm »
The U.S. Flag Code is a set of "guidelines" (Not Orders, Rules, or Laws.)
Actually, the Flag Code is a law (United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1), but it's unenforceable since the use of a national flag in any manner whatsoever obviously constitutes political speech, which is protected by the First Amendment. Thus, the question in the poll is ill-formed: it hardly matters how one "should" use the flag, since you ostensibly live in a democracy that gives you the freedom to do things without regard to whether or not you "should" do them.

Offline BlueStreak

• Species: Red Fox
  • Central Ohio's Original Fox
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
I'd like to see less egregiously tacky flag apparel out there, especially when worn by folks who like to cite "disrespecting the flag" for anything they don't like surrounding it.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:22:37 am »
Art is art and we all have freedom of expression. Being said the flag can be represented in any way or color wished. If your handling an actual flag then yes, follow the code. But in art, attier or decoration the constitution gives us freedom of expression.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:16:33 pm »
I don't care either way, I don't care about flags. Call unamerican all you like, I just don't care.