Poll

How would you like to see a furry tv/movie character?

All CGI.
1 (16.7%)
Mainly prostetics/makeup/costumes.
2 (33.3%)
Mix of CGI and costumes/makeup.
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Furry tv/movie characters.  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Furry tv/movie characters.
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:09:12 am »
What is your preference for seeing furry characters in tv shows and movies? What do you think looks/works best?

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Furry tv/movie characters.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:01:54 pm »
As for myself, I prefer practical effects (Makeup, prostetics, etc.) over CGI. CGI is good for some things, but not everything. I think you can get a much wider array of emotions and character performance from having regular actors play the characters than you can a CGI version.

This is the type of makeup/prostetic effects I like. This to me is more realistic than fake CGI.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:29:28 pm by Kobuk »

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 05:13:11 am »
I chose a mix of CGI and real. That's where CGI works best. Manly because of the complexity of motion. Some years back I got to talk to folks who had just worked on the last 'Mad Max' movie. They had done a hand full of Sci Fi projects as well. They talked about the overuse of CGI and it's downfall in the industry. Star Wars anyone.... :D  They even said the Star Wars movies brought attention to just how bad CGI really is. However if you mix CGI with real movement it works. Like the CGI they used in 'Mad Max'.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 06:51:59 am »
This to me is more realistic than fake CGI.

Wholeheartedly agree. That looks more real because it is real. There's something tangible right there in front of you that you react and respond to and that moves around in ways that a computer could never fully replicate. Emulate maybe, simulate perhaps, but replicate? Replicate the random movements of individual strands of hair? Replicate the way skin deforms in mathematically confusing ways when it wrinkles up or presses against itself? I do not think I will see that in my lifetime.

Plus there is a kind of magic in puppeteering that making something with CG can't touch. You look at kids seeing muppets from TV or look at the way some people respond to very realistic fursuits. There's a kind of awe in their eyes and I think that moment, that split second moment you can sometimes see in the eyes of adults where their inner kid jumps out, their suspension of disbelief takes them and for just that one instant you can see in their eyes that they fully believe the illusion.

An actor in a full body puppet suit can get that feeling from the actors, the crew, the director, everyone there as they work the puppet. Meanwhile CG stuff has actors standing in place talking at nothing and having to be described to what the creature is doing and trying to act appropriately.

I'm not saying CG has no place in film and tv, it's a tool in the toolbox and it should be used. The harm comes in trying to use it as a multitool, or as spackle to cover your plot holes.
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 01:36:13 pm »
I chose a mix of CGI and real. That's where CGI works best. Manly because of the complexity of motion. Some years back I got to talk to folks who had just worked on the last 'Mad Max' movie. They had done a hand full of Sci Fi projects as well. They talked about the overuse of CGI and it's downfall in the industry. Star Wars anyone.... :D  They even said the Star Wars movies brought attention to just how bad CGI really is. However if you mix CGI with real movement it works. Like the CGI they used in 'Mad Max'.

If you want to see how bad CGI really is, watch the movie Warcraft. The trolls/giants did not look good at all.