Author Topic: Question About Cons  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Madam Glitch

• Species: Dragon
  • The Madam of the Glitches
  • Female
    • DeviantART
Question About Cons
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:48 am »
Alright, I've never been to a con, but I want to go to a con (preferably Anthrocon) when I get the money to go. I've been watching a lot of dance competition videos on YouTube, and I have a question. When the announce the next dancer, do they use the name that the person goes by when in the costume, or by the name they go by in the fandom?

Let me give an example: Let's say I have a fursuit of my canine fursona, Amelia. Would they announce me as Amelia since I'm wearing the fursuit of that character, or as Madam Glitch since I go by that name in the fandom?
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are"
--Mewtwo

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: Question About Cons
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:43:28 am »
If I remember correctly from being at AC, I think it's by the fursona name, not the fursuit character name. But sometimes, this isn't always the case. For example, this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJdodW39t20
Listen to the announcer at the start. Monster Roo is the fursuit character name. Mangusu is the name of the actual person's fursona.
I would tend to think you could probably let the announcer know whichever name you wanted to use. When a person registers for the dance competition, there will probably be a form for you to fill out and let the organisers know what name you'd like to go by.

Offline Remley Bishop

• Species: Hooded Rat
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
I am pretty sure you can specify to be introduced by your fursuit name at the dance competition at AC.  I do not know for sure, as I have never participated, and have only watched short portions, as often I am up to things when they hold the competition.

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:27 pm »
I've not been a participant in these (and doubt I ever will be), but I've seen a couple now. They definitely are a lot of fun to watch.

As to your question, the organizers of the conventions are well aware that people can go by several different names within the fandom. For example, when you register, you provide a name for your con badge. It can be just about anything (doesn't have to be your username on forums/FA or specifically a fursona name, either). It could just be a random short string of binary if you really wanted. Basically, they don't really care as long as the name isn't inappropriate.

Given how they work things like that for registration, I imagine signing up for the dance comp would go about the same. Show up, give them a name, and that's that. Doesn't have to match the usernames you use anywhere, a fursona name, or even your con badge name.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline The Rockin Hyena

• Male
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:21 am »
I do know that Albino Topaz has at least three characters and when she competes she uses the name of that character.     Mangusu has competed as Monster Roo and Mangusu in the same suit.