Author Topic: Things in games that irritate you  (Read 10883 times)

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
Things in games that irritate you
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:22 am »
What are some things in games that annoy you? Are there certain gameplay mechanics that irritate you? I have a few.

Sequences where you have to push buttons on the controller in time with cues on the screen in order to progress or damage an enemy. Their purpose supposedly is to allow you to pull off fancy looking moves. But it's too easy to screw up, hit the wrong button or hit the right button too slowly forcing you to start all over again. I'm just not good at timed button presses.

Enemies that have one move in their repertoire. Shoving you down any time you get close. I'm currently playing a game with enemies that knock you down every few seconds. They're beatable but it's irritating to fight enemies whose idea of a combat maneuver is shoving you down repeatedly. It takes forever to kill these things. You go in whack em' a couple times, get shoved down, have to recover, rinse, repeat.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Oktek

• Species: Domestic cat
  • Male
Re: Things in games that irritate you
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:09:17 am »
I hate timed sequences as well. I often hit a wrong button, especially if the sequence goes fast.

I also won't ever play a game that has a fight system like this:
Select action -> wait till your character performs it -> damage enemy -> wait till enemy performs action -> enemy damages you -> repeat
These are soooo boring.

And I don't like games where you aren't controlling your character directly (e.g. point and click). The only exception is Syberia 1 and 2.

P.S. Do you know good games either about exploring and solving puzzles or RPG styled, where you control your character directly (But not shooters!!!)? I liked Digimon World 4 for PS2 (played on an emulator). I was positively surprised with its mechanics, different than in most games like this. If you can recommend some then PM me.
HAKUNA MATATA!

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »
P.S. Do you know good games either about exploring and solving puzzles or RPG styled, where you control your character directly (But not shooters!!!)? I liked Digimon World 4 for PS2 (played on an emulator). I was positively surprised with its mechanics, different than in most games like this. If you can recommend some then PM me.

Star Ocean 2. It's dense as hell, but highly rewarding if you have the patience for it.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
not really part of the game but these are annoying:
games that have a great concept but the devs are only in it for the money.
bugs that the devs just dont really seems to be interested in fixing.

if there is something in a game that i dont like they i just dont play it so it isnt really irritating

Offline ColonelMustang

• Species: Dire-Wolf
  • The Two Fisted Protein Junkie
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:00:55 pm »
It actually really irritates me when you can kill certain people in video games, because they're crucial to the story. I'm sorry you guys didn't make multiple storylines, but that's not my fault.
Sarzon! <-- inside joke

Offline HazardJackal

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:51:11 am »
It actually really irritates me when you can kill certain people in video games, because they're crucial to the story. I'm sorry you guys didn't make multiple storylines, but that's not my fault.
And yet my complaint is that you CAN'T kill certain people.  If an important person dies, i'd say the story should suffer accordingly, preferably with disastrous results.

That and games that feel like they could use a healthy dose of Co-Op, but fail to provide any sort of local multiplayer.  That just makes me sad.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 01:14:21 pm »
And yet my complaint is that you CAN'T kill certain people.  If an important person dies, i'd say the story should suffer accordingly, preferably with disastrous results.

That and games that feel like they could use a healthy dose of Co-Op, but fail to provide any sort of local multiplayer.  That just makes me sad.

That actually happens in Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. The reason nobody dies at the end of a battle is because a dude called a Judge is around to watch a battle. In Jag'd areas, there are no judges so if a party member is dead at the end of the battle, they die. While most party members are silent and are essentially just units, story characters can die too. If they do, they're just gone for the rest of the game and all the cutscenes they're supposed to be in.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:53 pm »
Games that blatantly advertise payed content within the game. I don't mind if it's like a link on the title screen, but once I'm in the actual game, I don't want them asking me for actual money. I can understand if it's a free to play game, but otherwise I think all in-game purchases should be strictly with in-game money.

Offline Shim

• Male
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:11 pm »
Games that blatantly advertise payed content within the game. I don't mind if it's like a link on the title screen, but once I'm in the actual game, I don't want them asking me for actual money. I can understand if it's a free to play game, but otherwise I think all in-game purchases should be strictly with in-game money.

Uugh, Injustice did that. You have to watch a DLC-character demo and takes you to the store before you can actually play the game. Super annoying.

Offline Amducious

• Species: Northern Sergal
  • Toss me in the ocean
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:58:25 am »
They are a lot of things, If I were to type them there would be to much.
Profile art By @Paxdoesart on Twitter

What is the true purpose of existing?

Add me on FA! https://www.furaffinity.net/user/amduciousthesergal/

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:26:34 pm »
Hey, here's an idiot with all the self preservation skills of a lobotomized, suicidal howler monkey. Guess what? You have to keep this twit alive or you fail the mission. Never mind that they will gleefully rush into crowds of enemies. Never mind that they're too stupid to pick up a health pack when it's right there in front of them. And never mind the fact that you could do this Dimwit's job better if they'd just give you that option. Never mind all that. Now babysit this brain dead flunky or you'll never see the end of the game you paid for.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Tanu

• Species: Raccoon
  • Just a regular Office Raccoon.
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 11:51:52 pm »
I've often told my brothers and friends that Elder Scrolls Oblivion feels incomplete to me.
So I'd say that games that lack content gets under my skin.
I play a lot of RTS (real time strategy) games and despite how much I enjoy them, they often feel very underwhelming.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:53:26 pm by Tanu »
Celebrate who you are.

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 12:28:11 am »
Does everything in Flappy Bird count?  x_x
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline FizzyTheWolf

• Species: Wolf
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:51 am »
Losing lives at the same point. Over. And over. And over. And over again. Truly hardcore mode at its best. Ugh.
Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, down, down-right = EPIC SHORYUKEN OF DOOOOOOOOM!

Offline Mylo

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »
EVERYTHING MUST BE...DARK...AND GRITTY...

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 05:25:37 am »
Gimmicky controls. For example, requiring you to shake the wiimote to do a basic attack. It makes combat far less accurate than if it were a button press.  Or like how Super Mario 3D World has a few levels that require using the touch screen. Or how Mario Kart DS battle mode makes you blow in the microphone to inflate your balloons.  Why did they have to do this? It really doesn't add anything substantial to the game and just makes it more annoying.

(You might notice from my examples that Nintendo is a frequent perpetrator of this kind of thing. Though they certainly aren't the only ones doing it.)

Offline Timberwuff

• Species: Grey Timberwolf
  • Just your everyday wolf
  • Male
    • BitzaWolf.com
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:40 pm »
Terrible tutorials that hold your paw the entire way, telling you word-by-word in a boring text box you have to read:
the 'A' button makes you jump. Press 'A' longer to jump higher.

Time your jumps to overcome tricky obstacles!

You can't skip it, you can't make the text go faster, you have to read the entire thing because the game is catering only toward brand-new game players by using no-nonsense verbose wordage.

There are much better ways to make tutorials. Simply think about using most people's natural curiosity and drive to overcome obstacles to teach concepts. Instead of literally telling us 'A' makes up jump. Give the players a wall, show a little graphic indicating 'A' does something, and let them figure out the rest. People remember the lessons much better and have a much higher sense of achievement and enjoyment if you do this.

Bonus 7-min video analyzing what makes up a "good" tutorial
'      !
/ \_..._ / \   Follow me on Twitter!
| /  \_ /  \|
|   o.-.o   |
 \  ( O )   / 
 /'-- U --' \
 |    .:.     | /\ 
 |   /:;:\  |`  /
 |   |:;:|  |_ -' 
 /   |'-' |  \   
`""`    `""`    (Wuff character by Winter)

Offline viper213

• Species: fox
  • Male
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:07:10 pm »
A massive dislike for me is missiins that take forever to do ha e no actual relevence to the plot and doesnt reward you in any way the name gta five comes to mind the yoga missikn and a few more.i have a dislike for fanboys not the normal fanboy the sort of person who would kill for the game or console.however it is funny when the clash for example the playsation ,xbox,pc argument
FCF3adf A- C- D H+ M- P R- T++ W- a- cn+++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j p

https://m.soundcloud.com/heyguesswhathi
My music channel if your intrested

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 05:00:24 am »
... it is funny when the clash for example the playsation ,xbox,pc argument
Yes, especially since pc's are clearly better.  ...   ;)

Offline DoubleSwee

• Species: Feline
  • I'm Jacques, nice to meet you.
  • Male
    • FOXmcloud021 on DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 06:50:03 am »
... it is funny when the clash for example the playsation ,xbox,pc argument
Yes, especially since pc's are clearly better.  ...   ;)

PCs are God-tier
nothing is better

(I still kinda want a PS4, tho)
DA: http://foxmcloud021.deviantart.com/

FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/foxmcloud021/

"Never stop drawing, the day you stop drawing is the day you die."
- Egoraptor

Offline LiveHomeVideo

• Species: Fox
  • Female
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:30 am »
Games that rely on a save point feature, where the save points are very far apart.

Seriously, I just want to get to a save because it's 3 AM and I need to go to work in a few hours, why do I have to beat a boss after almost an hour of getting there in order to save?!

Also, whenever a modern console/PC game, especially one that you paid for, starts pushing you to buy DLC for upgrades and stuff. That stuff drives me bonkers. I get this in Free-to-Play games, where that's how they get their money, but even there it can get excessive and annoying. And it really has no business being in full-priced games like Assassin's Creed Unity or Metal Gear Solid V.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:58:27 am by LiveHomeVideo »

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 09:31:23 pm »
Along with in game purchases, another related thing that irritates me is the push to get people to pre-order with things like in-game exclusive content and such.  The problem is, this removes some of the incentive for the devs to make a good game, and instead has them riding on hype to make their money. And ultimately I think this sort of thing is bad for the consumers and leads to inferior games.

Offline Bronx

• Species: Anthro red and grey wolf
  • I listen to too much music.
  • Male
    • My FA
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:22 pm »
I might have inherited this from my dad (who introduced me to gaming when he got me a PS3), but it really ticks me off when games don't have local multiplayer. I remember back in 2006 when I had to BEG my dad to buy more controllers so I could play games with my friends. Now, I hardly ever use more than one. If anyone remembers Ridge Racer, it was a driving sim that my dad and I used to play for hours on end. Obviously it's outdated now, so when Driveclub for PS4 came out, I got excited because I thought we would play it like RR, but it doesn't have local because apparently people only wanna play online nowadays. The only multiplayer games on my PS4 are Minecraft and Rocket League. I am desperately hoping they make more.
www.youtube.com/craterwolf
Furry code: FCW3ad A- C- D H++ M- P+ R- T+++ W- Z- Sm- RLU a- cn++ e- f h* i++ p+ sm

Offline viper213

• Species: fox
  • Male
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 12:34:13 am »
I miss a good old game called timesplitters loved that game when i was little local play and just a mix of treamfortress and cod all in one which was really fun I love that just it isnt madeany morecostheco.pany made ahorriblegame called haze theysoo need to do a reboot
FCF3adf A- C- D H+ M- P R- T++ W- a- cn+++ d+ e+ f h* iwf++ j p

https://m.soundcloud.com/heyguesswhathi
My music channel if your intrested

Offline Yip

• Female
    • Furaffinity
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:03 pm »
I might have inherited this from my dad (who introduced me to gaming when he got me a PS3), but it really ticks me off when games don't have local multiplayer. I remember back in 2006 when I had to BEG my dad to buy more controllers so I could play games with my friends. Now, I hardly ever use more than one. If anyone remembers Ridge Racer, it was a driving sim that my dad and I used to play for hours on end. Obviously it's outdated now, so when Driveclub for PS4 came out, I got excited because I thought we would play it like RR, but it doesn't have local because apparently people only wanna play online nowadays. The only multiplayer games on my PS4 are Minecraft and Rocket League. I am desperately hoping they make more.
Nintendo still seems to be pretty good about supporting local multiplayer. Though they generally don't focus on online play as much. Which is perfectly fine for me 'cause I don't usually care for online play anyways.