Author Topic: Herbs and Spices  (Read 3181 times)

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
Herbs and Spices
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:01 am »
These are the things that make good food great.  There is such a huge variety of herbs and spices out there, so there's pretty much something for everyone.  Which ones do you like to use/eat?

Myself, I usually dump large quantities of ground cayenne pepper onto most things that I eat (because spicythings are wonderful :P), and I also love thai basil and oregano.  I tend to use them for sandwiches, pastas, pizza, and similar things.  I actually had an oregano plant that I was enjoying until it was murdered :(
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Herbs and Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:40 am »
ground/dried black pepper (normal pepper)

it's not often that i have any real food (mostly eat microwaveable stuff) so i dont really use spices and things like that

Offline WhiteAkitaKeiko

• Species: hug loving American Akita
  • I will find you, and I will hug you
  • Female
    • My FA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:03:17 am »
Vegetable seasoning , nutmeg , chillies (crushed) 
Are my favourite thing to add to things :) .

I also have a basil plant in my back garden
Icon by myself

Choose wisely who you hate and hunt.
Because the shot you've used..might've been fatal

Offline Ziel

• Cerealivore
  • Species: Fox!
  • *nom*
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
Fresh-ground black pepper goes on almost anything. I love black pepper. I sometimes even chew on whole black peppercorns for a quick burst of flavor.

Aside from that, I have a few barbecue rub spice mixes that I've been using. Got them from a specialty store in North Carolina when I was visiting some friends. They're all quite good. I'm actually making some pasta right now, and will be seasoning it with one of them. But my favorite of all of them has to be one that's made with coffee, of all things. It is an excellent rub for steaks or burgers. And such a different flavor than what you'd typically expect. But it works really well.

Twitter - FurAffinity - Sig by Heat.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:09:56 pm »
Another black pepper fan right here! :) I especially like to put a lot of black pepper in my mashed potatoes.

Offline Alsek

• The Fluffy Destroyer of Tasty Fish
  • Species: White Wolf Pup
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:59:28 am »
I regularly use dill, pink salt,  and brown sugar for making fish.

I'll often use dark chili powder, paprika,  salt,  and / or various rubs for red meat.

Offline greenfox

• Species: Fox
  • struct fox_t = { .color = COLOR_GREEN };
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:09:20 pm »
Well, a lot of black pepper fans, I see.  I like to mix it with bread crumbs to cook on fish.
Also, yesterday I discovered a delicious jar of spices labelled simply "Cajun Medley" (no ingredients listed), and it has been applied to various meals since :P
"Vira pyveþ maze lirno kaietello jai."
I am only a lone man with ten-thousand dreams.

Weasyl: http://www.weasyl.com/~quyk

Offline Furenzied

• Species: Husky/Border Collie
  • kitty ♥ :3
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:44:11 pm »
I can't handle peppery or spicy things at all.  :-[ even the mildest Taco Bell is usually very spicy for me...

Anyway...I really love garlic and parsely. :3  it's good and garlic is a natural insect repellent...even though I don't go outside much...I don't like going outside much due to the ticks and fleas. :p I detest parasites...
Mate of WereCat

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:21 am »
Garlic powder on steak and chile flakes on my pizza
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 09:44:18 am »
For me, it's all about the hot sauces  :D Can't be without a bottle of some sort in the house. Whether it's the humble Tabasco for making eggs more exciting, or a small-batch beard-exploding, eye-watering near death experience for when I've been bad and require punishment.

As far as sensible seasonings go, I'm a big fan of Schwartz's pre-mixed rubs. Garlic pepper / steakhouse peppers are a firm favourite for making cheap food taste nice.

Offline Zoxide

• Species: Wolf
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 12:41:56 am »
so my fiances dad is Haitian and he is teaching me to his food and one "spice" he makes and i make now consists of: 2 green onion stalks, chop them up. however much garlic you like. 3 Maggie its the chicken bouillon, only Maggie nothing else tastes like it. 4 however many cloves you want i usually put about 3-6 in it. 5 and depending on if you want it spicy add habenero. so you put all this in a mortise and mash it all up till it becomes a paste and basically you can put his on anything. usually we cook it in a bot with lime juice and tomato paste.

ex. put your chicken wings and breast in a big metal bowl to boil and just add a wee bit of lime juice. let the lime juice boil away completely. add half the spice mix and some water let that boil way. next add the rest of the spice mix, again more water enough to reach half way up but not covering the chicken completely. with doing that add 1-2 teaspoons of tomato paste or however much you like. once you can scrape the chicken off the bone with the spoon or utensil you are cooking with add regular white onion cut in rings then cut in half. let them boil for about 5 minutes then eat.

this is always, as i have eaten, served with rice and beans

enjoy also this process can be used with any meat we use this with turkey, goat, beef, pork, everything

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:05 am »
For chicken and poultry I like sage, rosemary and thyme. The the usual fresh black pepper, salt and garlic
Meats salt, garlic and fresh black pepper. If going for a more Italian taste I'll add rosemary and oregano.
Veggies oregano, salt, garlic and fresh black pepper. If adding potato and meat for a one dish thing I'll add rosemary, sage and thyme.
Spaghetti and other tomato and noodle dishes it's garlic, salt fresh black pepper oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage and sometimes capers.

For a more Asian feel I leave out everything but the garlic, fresh pepper and salt. Then add soy sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes.

One thing I've found with ginger. If you really want this to pop add hot with it. I've added hot sauce when making ginger cookies or when adding ginger to cake. It's awesome!
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline 9141702

• Species: Anthro Rat
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 12:10:02 pm »
Cause ... hot sauce with ginger cookies? That's a novel idea, and I may have to steal it! :D