Author Topic: Why do people prefer mammalian pets over avians, arthropods, reptiles, or fish?  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Osphronema Macaw

• Species: Hyacinth Macaw (Anodorynchus hyacinthinus)
  • Hihi! I'm friendly and happy to chat! <3
  • Female
I've seen many people dote on dogs or cats more than hermit crabs, snakes, lizards, parrots or frogs. What is your favorite pet?

Offline BrightEyedHoot

• Species: Barn Owl (Tyto Alba)
I've seen many people dote on dogs or cats more than hermit crabs, snakes, lizards, parrots or frogs. What is your favorite pet?
I love birds (im actually planning on going into falconry for pest control), and definitely connect with them.

i think it's because we share/understand mammalian behaviors much more easily as a species.

Offline Osphronema Macaw

• Female
I own two hermit crabs.

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
I would preffer to have lizards when I am able to, I like lizards.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
I imagine most who like Dogs love the interaction they can have with them.

As for cats. It's probably much the same. Only cats are a bit softer of fur
in most cases. So they are nice to hold and pet. Not to mention they are
usually a quiet animal.

Birds are atractive due to their bright colors and ability to memic speech, and in most
cases are intelligent and generally social.

Reptiles though interesting probably seem distant and not very friendly to
most people. Though I am sure those who like them would differ.

Fish on the other hand live in a aquatic inviroment. So it's more difficult to interact
with them. I am sure there again many enjoy watching them and their antics .

I think given a chance most creatures that are social by nature can make a good
pet if one understands them.  Even wild animals can become used to human
companionship with a good understanding of their natural habits, and respect.

In the end I think most like mammalian pets because they can easily interact with them,
and are nice to touch. And of course popularity tends to win out in the end

We should remember many households have birds, reptiles, and fish for pets. We just don't
see them like we do dogs and cats.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:59:17 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
i think it's because we share/understand mammalian behaviors much more easily as a species.

This. ^

When I was younger, I actually wanted a pet parrot. :) I love the different colors they come in. But my mother said No as she thought they'd make too much noise.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
the reason i have a dog (and not any of those other things) is because they are far easier to take care of, they can actually tell you if they want something, you can actually do things with them instead of just looking/petting a few times, dogs are usually far cleaner (if trained), also dogs actually take interest in you.

i would be interested in getting a pet of those other categories if i could actually spend time with them, if they took interest in me, and if they were trainable. (if water monitors were more social, trainable, more sanitary, less shy, took more interest in humans, ect then ill most likely take one in as a pet)

in short i like dogs because they are more human like, and they actually have a personality that i can bond with (not interested in something you just look at)

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
As someone with three pet reptiles, I have no idea why people prefer furry animals xD

Reptiles can be expressive in their own ways, that are easy enough to learn if you try and look - My beardie is very obvious when she is happy, tired, angry or ill. She actively seeks out human attention, and yet will wander back to her tank from across the house when she is ready to go back to bed. She has preferred foods, and a basic understanding of amounts of them - She will sit and stare at me until her bowl has what she deems to be enough worms in, before chowing down. The gecko is more cat-like in her habits, and will come to you when she wants attention or is scared, and is haughty the rest of the time. The snake is still a shy little baby, but he's one of the most inquisitive little animals I've ever seen.

Plus the reptiles are all quiet (the snake is the loudest as he will rattle his tail when he's upset), very clean (they have dedicated spots in their tanks and will not use the bathroom outside of those spots), and while they may not form the same social bonds as a cat or a dog might, they have a cheerful indifference to being handled, and will love you as much as their little brains will allow if you feed them and keep them warm.

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline Takanuva

• Species: Dragon
  • I like Bionicle and Dragons.
  • Male
    • Takanuva-Toa-Of-Light
These are all really good answers. But also, it's at least related to ease of care and cost of the pet. It's extremely easy to adopt a cat and get it a bed, some toys, a letterbox, and some food for less than $100 depending on where you live. Then it's just a matter of feeding it, emptying its letterbox, and giving it attention. Dogs, even less. Meanwhile for bearded dragons, they require headlamps, their cage to be spot cleaned, insects and various things to be fed, and strict requirements about the climate of their enclosure. Even a good cage can cost more than $100. Add in the "creep" factor some people get from snakes, and the amount of room an aquarium takes up, and you end up with stigma against most of everything that doesn't bark or meow.

Offline BrightEyedHoot

This. ^

When I was younger, I actually wanted a pet parrot. :) I love the different colors they come in. But my mother said No as she thought they'd make too much noise.

I've had parakeets (well, my roommate did), and let me tell you. They don't just make noise. They make ALL the noise.
also parrots are a lifetime pet and will attack any spouses you have.

Offline Loc

These are all really good answers. But also, it's at least related to ease of care and cost of the pet. It's extremely easy to adopt a cat and get it a bed, some toys, a letterbox, and some food for less than $100 depending on where you live. Then it's just a matter of feeding it, emptying its letterbox, and giving it attention. Dogs, even less. Meanwhile for bearded dragons, they require headlamps, their cage to be spot cleaned, insects and various things to be fed, and strict requirements about the climate of their enclosure. Even a good cage can cost more than $100.

Once you have basic tank setups done though, they are much cheaper in general care. I only need to spend £40 on new lights per year. The snake eats 60p of food a week, and £10 feeds both the beardie and the gecko for most of a month (with the beardie being supplemented by veg that I eat anyway). The insects eat leftovers. Their bedding is free or reusable (newspapers and tiles). My cat was WAY more expensive to keep.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline BrightEyedHoot

As someone with three pet reptiles, I have no idea why people prefer furry animals xD

Reptiles can be expressive in their own ways, that are easy enough to learn if you try and look - My beardie is very obvious when she is happy, tired, angry or ill. She actively seeks out human attention, and yet will wander back to her tank from across the house when she is ready to go back to bed. She has preferred foods, and a basic understanding of amounts of them - She will sit and stare at me until her bowl has what she deems to be enough worms in, before chowing down. The gecko is more cat-like in her habits, and will come to you when she wants attention or is scared, and is haughty the rest of the time. The snake is still a shy little baby, but he's one of the most inquisitive little animals I've ever seen.

Plus the reptiles are all quiet (the snake is the loudest as he will rattle his tail when he's upset), very clean (they have dedicated spots in their tanks and will not use the bathroom outside of those spots), and while they may not form the same social bonds as a cat or a dog might, they have a cheerful indifference to being handled, and will love you as much as their little brains will allow if you feed them and keep them warm.
I've been thinking of getting a snake recently, and ive narrowed it down to three kinds- corn snake (ofc), california king snake or a reticulated python. Which do you think is the best for a starter?

Offline Loc

Pythons are not good starter snakes. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. Corns and kings both are, so it's a matter of preference and availability. I have a little year old corn.

RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

Offline BrightEyedHoot

Pythons are not good starter snakes. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. Corns and kings both are, so it's a matter of preference and availability. I have a little year old corn.
awwww bby
tbh my dream starter snake is an all black california king
i love sneks

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage

I agree the most with Elias' and Old Rabbit's thoughts...we, as mammals, tend to favor mammalian company. Some of us like other unique species, like reptiles, birds and fish, but most pet owners prefer a dog or cat...due in part also to the reasons listed by Takanuva...

These are all really good answers. But also, it's at least related to ease of care and cost of the pet. It's extremely easy to adopt a cat and get it a bed, some toys, a letterbox, and some food for less than $100 depending on where you live. Then it's just a matter of feeding it, emptying its letterbox, and giving it attention. Dogs, even less. Meanwhile for bearded dragons, they require headlamps, their cage to be spot cleaned, insects and various things to be fed, and strict requirements about the climate of their enclosure. Even a good cage can cost more than $100. Add in the "creep" factor some people get from snakes, and the amount of room an aquarium takes up, and you end up with stigma against most of everything that doesn't bark or meow.

I myself love watching birds (especially hummingbirds, they are daring little things!) and feeding wild birds. I like interacting with parrots at the pet shops but I don't see myself owning one...they are lifelong pets and would outlive me! Eek! That and I don't think it would like my roommate or mate much....and their beaks scare me...:P

Snakes and bearded dragons are interesting choices, but the cost of the setup would be too much for me currently.  x_x

I had a pet rat a few years ago. I loved him dearly. He would run up my shoulder and groom my hair, snuggle in my hoodie, and was a spoiled, sweet soul. My Charlie  :'(

I love horses. If I could own one later in my life, I probably would. They are so beautiful!  (:

And I could not see myself owning any kind of insect or arachnid. Nope nope nope!  x_x
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Osphronema Macaw

• Female
I have 16 crickets, 1 betta fish and two hermit crabs. I adore arthropods and fish.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
I also tend to think we like mammals because they do resemble humans more
than other species. Due to that they can try to memic us at times.

Sometimes we tend to forget that our animal friends aren't humans in little furry
bodies. Even though some try to memic our habits.

I had a small poodle dog who tried his best to copy me. I remember when I would
lay on the couch on my back. He would lay on his back next to me.  :D

I sure miss the little guy..  :(
oldrabbit.com

Offline Osphronema Macaw

• Female
True. I had parakeets when I lived in Florida

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
Ya, I' a dog person. Love the companionship. The mutual happy to see each other greetings. Every dog I've ever had has had it's own personality. My last dog 'Dotty' loved to keep her toys were she wanted them. I'd clean up the house and put all her toys in a pile. She would take them one by one. Put them in there spots. Usually out of the way, under things and in corners. She did this with all the toys she didn't like to play with. She always left the toys she liked to play with in that pile. Or in the middle of a room.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Osphronema Macaw

• Female
I love German shepherds. But my hermit crabs are tame. They don't pinch me often.

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
My fave are rats though I don't have any. I've had fish, Hermit crabs, walking sticks, frogs, caterpillars, cats and dogs and hamsters. I'd love to have rats or a bearded dragon or a fennec fox.

Offline ZedCoyote

• Species: Coyote
  • Suburban Coyote
  • Male
I think it's mostly just because we are also mammals and just relate better to things closer to our own species. I've had all kinds of pets but mammalian ones I always bond the best with. As far as humans and canines go since early times we developed a symbiotic relationship with each other.

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Pets you can pet that like to be pet make the best pets for petting.
 :D

Offline Storm Fox

• The great Myrsky Kettu!
  • Species: Red Fox
  • 'Makes random fox noises'
Pets you can pet that like to be pet make the best pets for petting.
 :D

:o
My mind esploded reading the thing you just said right there.
FCF6adsw A+ C- D H M- P R++ T+++ W Z Sm# RLCT a+ cn++ d e* f h+ i+++ j++ p+ sm#

Offline surlifennec

• Species: Fennec/Feather Fennec
  • mary sue is probably my real name
    • My deviantArt!
I guess it's human nature to think cats and dogs are cute, especially since domestic cats and dogs evolved to look cute so that humans would take care of them. I don't think it's fair, though... I wish there were more species diversity in furries... Although, I'm part of the problem ;owo I mean, I'm a fennec fox.