Author Topic: Interesting things you have seen animals do.  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Yip

• Species: vulpes vulpes
  • Female
    • Furaffinity
Re: Interesting things you have seen animals do.
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 01:31:41 pm »
My family used to have a black chihuahua that when she wanted to get your attention would make light growlie noises while crawling forward and backward on her belly using only her front legs (so dragging the back half of her body.)  And yes, I know this wasn't some kind of itching 'cause she'd only do this when she was trying to get your attention.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 01:57:26 pm »
My tomcat was a year old when he adopted me and may have been raised around dogs. When my brother would bring his black lab into the house, the cat would greet it. Once the dog lost interest, he would claw her in the flanks. Once, he tried to punch the dog in the nose, but missed.

Later, when a chocolate lab pup was brought over, the cat climbed up on a trunk. As the puppy put it's head over the trunk to sniff the cat, he raised a paw and then patted the pup's head several times in rapid fire.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Vampyrum

• Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Eater of Apples
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 01:35:40 pm »
The intelligence of fish alone? lol There's a spot I go scuba diving at fairly regularly, and the degree of intelligence in even the littlest fish is pretty interesting. Like a California Sheephead Wrasse that intelligently followed me, and even appeared to playfully play a game of chase. it swam away (even circling a strand of kelp so we spiralled it slowly going up), and when I stopped following, it would swim upward, and then come back down directly for me to hang out some more.  :D

Also, on my last dive, a Garibaldi school encircled me, and then one particularly curious one swam up and pecked my regulator, which was quite bold. I call it the fish kiss. XD It makes sense, since they're known for being bold, and it's in a preserve (so no fishing allowed), but it's still interesting that it came up and pecked me (essentially) on the lips without a care in the world.

I'd've offered some thoughts on bats or canines, but those fish were really interesting to me to not mention. ><
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2016, 07:59:19 pm »
My mom's old cat says 'Hello'. Not crazy. It sounds like hello when she first sees you. Now I don't think the cat is communicating. It's just odd to hear a cat make a sound that mimics a word. And only when she fist sees you. After that it's a lot of noise. She's a regular talker.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 11:37:58 am »
My mom's old cat says 'Hello'. Not crazy. It sounds like hello when she first sees you. Now I don't think the cat is communicating. It's just odd to hear a cat make a sound that mimics a word. And only when she fist sees you. After that it's a lot of noise. She's a regular talker.

I have heard that cats only "Meow" to humans, and not to each other. So perhaps
the "Hello" mimic was intended as a greeting.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2016, 11:57:34 am »
My small Poodle dog always knew when my mother was cooking. He made sure to
be handy in case something was dropped.  :D  He seemed to love uncooked macoroni.
He would chew it up and hope for more. I think my mom dropped a few on purpose.  :)
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »
There is a video on YouTube of a coyote in Yellowstone National Park who was catching Cutthroat Trout with her teeth. She caught several in as many minutes.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Hashira

• Species: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • they/their, she/her
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 01:52:12 am »
If I blow air on my miniature poodle or talk to him in a certain voice, he starts digging his face into the floor, squirming, rubs himself, tries licking me, and whimpers. As soon as I stop he perks back up like nothing ever happened? Also, he always licks his crotch after he is pet to any degree .-. Every so often when someone leaves the house, he growls, chases his tail, does a lap around the place, then sits still. I don't understand :P
Come find me! More to come!

Offline flurry

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 02:27:31 am »
My dog likes to cross his paws or fold them in. He also does the shake head when confused lol

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
A odd thing most dogs do is they love to stick their head out a car window with
their nose in the breeze, but if you blow in their face they don't like it.  :D

My dog often gave me a lick if blew softly in his face. That dog loved to lick, especially
when a pup. I remember when we picked him out, he of 4 pups came over and started
licking my hand. The others could care less.

I have read that pups lick their mothers mouth to encurage her to regurgitate. I kind of
think thats why even older dogs do the same to their master.

I have read that cats rub against their human to mark them as their own. So I guess
that makes the human the cats pet.  :D

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:23:27 am by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 11:48:23 pm »
A cottontail doe took a marshmallow meant for the fox.
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »
A few years back I saw a Squirrel scampering up a walnut tree I have in my back
yard. What was surprised me about it was he/she ran out on a small limb and started
shaking the limb to knock the walnuts off. I watched for several minutes while the
squirrel did the same with several of the limbs. It seemed to know which Walnuts
weren't ready to fall.

I had always thought Squirrels gathered nuts that naturally fell. Guess he showed me.  :D

oldrabbit.com

Offline Robert_Silvermyst

• Species: Archangel Wolf
  • High King of Furgasta
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:48 am »
This was a good few years back, 2010 I believe. first day of Canine Obedience  training at college. After i got my greyhound Ike to train. I dropped a treat be accident. I went down to grab out, and suddenly Ike had his nose to the ground and spun around my hand like a top! I could never get him to do that again =P

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 09:30:05 pm »
When I would check my wastewater lagoons on cool mornings, I would find barn swallows and chimney swifts lined up shoulder-to-shoulder on the fence and utility wires. They were waiting for me to stir up mosquitoes and flies so the birds could feed on the insects. I would deliberately kick hummocks in my knee boots and would be enveloped in a cloud of grateful birdies. Once or twice while reading the electric meter, a swallow flew between my face and my notepad to snap a fish fly out of the air. 

Once, I rescued one of the tiny birds that got washed into an aeration pond when it skimmed the surface for a drink. Using a pool skimmer, I scooped it out and set it on the fence to dry itself, all without touching a feather.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:34:37 pm by Rocket T. Coyote »
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Male
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »
Once, while sitting very still in a hunting blind made from a military parachute, I was visited by Black-Capped Chickadees. One landed atop my hat, then to the bill of the hat. Suddenly, it was perched on the bridge of my glasses with it's warm fuzzy little body pressed against my forehead. I somehow managed not to laugh.
(Baps the old humorist.)