Author Topic: Naming Children After Fursonas?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Rainy

• Species: Rabbit
  • Looking for more than dreams.
  • Male
Naming Children After Fursonas?
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:31 am »
I think this goes here...correct me if I'm wrong  *post* (:

So I was thinking, what if you married/coupled with someone and got a kid.

If you and your spouse were both furry, would you name your kid based off a fursona? Would you give that kid a fursona for themselves? Or would you just let them make their own fursona later in life?

Another question might be: Does this seem like a mean thing to do to a kid, naming them after a fursona?
In my opinion, I don't think so as long as you don't go too far like giving them a name like "Fluffy Wuffy Bobby"
                                      1) There's going to be recoil
                                      2) Either you are just uncreative or you're are a mean, salty person who needs some extra love and a retry.

I thought it was an interesting subject. What do you guys think?
No matter how bad the storm is, there's always a rainbow at the end.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: Naming Children After Fursonas?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:23:19 am »
being in a same sex relationship this is very unlikely for me, but i will give my opinion on the topic.

as long as its an appropriate name i dont see anything wrong with it, though i do see something wrong with making your child a fursona. i'd rather leave the decision up to them if they want to be involved in the fandom or not

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:25:33 am »
I technically named my mate's daughter (her mother is our roommate...we are in a polyamorous vee) after one of my fursonas...Catalina. I no longer have Catalina as my alternate fursona...she is now a jaguar named Moongaze. I proposed the name Catalina before she was born and both my mate and his metamour loved it.  If the little one decides to become furry, great! Otherwise, I don't mind.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:27:36 am »
being in a same sex relationship this is very unlikely for me, but i will give my opinion on the topic.

as long as its an appropriate name i dont see anything wrong with it, though i do see something wrong with making your child a fursona. i'd rather leave the decision up to them if they want to be involved in the fandom or not

I agree with you except you could always adopt if you really want a child so don't worry about that.
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 01:36:10 am »

I agree with you except you could always adopt if you really want a child so don't worry about that.

Or you can have a similar set up as I do, with a surrogate family...or you can be an "uncle." There are many ways to being in a child's life; the important thing is being there when they need you most.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:24:10 am »
I imagine any reasonable name is acceptable for humans. With all the travel
these days one should try to avoid a name/word that would be rude in another
language.

I doubt any kid would want to be called "Old Rabbit"  :D  Though there
are some with the name of Bunny and other animal character names.
Some nicknames are quite unusual.
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »
So I was thinking, what if you married/coupled with someone and got a kid.

I have no plans to get married and/or have a kid. I prefer to stay single. :)

If you and your spouse were both furry, would you name your kid based off a fursona?

Even if I did marry and we had a kid, I'd much rather give the kid a regular name like Michael, Kevin, Billy, Keith, Andrew, Claire, Kathryn, or something else.

Would you give that kid a fursona for themselves? Or would you just let them make their own fursona later in life?

I'd let the kid discover the fandom for him/herself as they got older and let him/her develop their own fursona and name.

Another question might be: Does this seem like a mean thing to do to a kid, naming them after a fursona?

I don't know. Maybe? Depends on how far parents take it and how the child adjusts to having the name and being called by it later in life.

Offline Rainy

• Male
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 08:11:36 pm »

Yeah, this is true. Even if you're single you could adopt but that probably isn't a really good idea considering how much you would need to do.  x_x

I think if I ever had a kid I'd give them a name based off a furry character, even create a new fursona then give them the name. I won't give them a fursona though, I'd leave that up to them.

I like what you said Kobuk, I too would just let them discover the fandom on their own, let them make their own characters. I could also see that being cool to already have a fursona name and then just make a fursona. Then you could have a real fursona and a fake fursona! (I think that's a thing already though.)

Offline Kain (Asher) Eralf

• Species: Atosian Fox
  • Smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one.
  • Male
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45:38 pm »
Yeah, it really depends on what the name is... I mean, I've thought about naming a kid after my persona, Kain.
...but I don't think that there's many kids out there who'd like to have a name like "Telephone," "Sparkleyote," or "Pocari Roo."

Not that those are bad names or anything, but... some names are definitely not for humans.

And I cast my lot with Kobuk/Rainy: I'd let the kid explore the fandom themself... if they even wanted to be in the fandom to begin with.

It'd just seem weird, both for me and the kid... don't know how they'd react to being named after an idealized fox-ified version of their dad, and it might be a little weird for me to have a son who shared names with a person (furson?) who was basically me.

Though by the same token, it's far from unheard of for a kid to be named after his parents.
Just... don't give kids strange names...
though who knows? A kid might like sharing the name of a fursona.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
I have a nephew named Tyler, but he has yet to tile anything as yet. He works with his Dad.

Are Hunter and Gunner (Gunnar?) fursona names? I hear those infrequently. Actually heard people who were stranded on the ice while fishing referred to as "Fishers" once. Didn't think the critters savvy enough to board a rescue helicopter, although that would've been a cool news story.

;)
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 11:51:07 pm »
It's a moot point since I'm asexual, anti social and the idea of sex repulses me but I doubt I'd name a kid after a Fursona. I'd especially not assign the kid their own fursona. That's be up to them if and when they decided to join the fandom.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 03:52:50 pm »
What about  Parents that assign their child a fursona.

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 04:53:18 pm »
I don't think a child should be assigned a Fursona. Even if both parents are furry there's no guarantee the kid will be. And if he/she does turn out to be furry he/she will probably want to choose a species for themselves. I wouldn't want to have my folks telling me I'm a raccoon when I strongly identify with dogs.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 12:14:15 am »
Furry nicknames later in life from friends or classmates maybe. But giving a kid a name like Sparky, Zippie, or Puddles? That's how state naming bureaus become established. :P

I wanted to be like Bugs Bunny, then Loopy De Loop, then Bullwinkle, then finally--Tech E. Coyote. Good thing my parents didn't pick my fursona, or I'd be Rin Tin Tin.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

• Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 12:16:29 am »

I've never heard of this...? I think it's best a child decides for him/herself that he/she wants to be in the furry fandom in the first place.
Furry Code:

My art and such

Offline Kayle

• Species: Fox
  • Hallelujah, lock and load!
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 06:49:18 am »
I'm in a happily married same-sex relationship, and I really don't want kids.  I don't like children a whole lot, and definetly prefer dogs to human children.  Our dog is our child, and I prefer to keep it that way.  My mate goes back and forth on wanting kids, but he has admitted on several occasions that he's way too high strung to have them.  The dog drives him crazy half the time as it is.  He'd probably run screaming and naked into traffic if we had a human child.

That being said, I don't think I woukd name a kid after one of my characters or my 'sona.  It might be selfish, but Kayle is MY name.  I came up with it, and it's a representation of me.  Although... I would probably come up with some nerdirrific name for a child.  Like Jedidiah Knight Young-Miller.  Jedi Knight for short. (:

As for giving them a fursona, I think it would be better to just introduce them to the fandom and let them choose whether or not to be involved with it.  If they chose to be a furry, I would definetly foot the bill for them a tail and ears.  Then drop them off at my step-mom's place for the weekend, just to let him/her torment my stepmother.  What goes around comes around after all.  :)
"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company."
-Mark Twain

Anyone use Telegram?  Hit me up!  Username is KayleStorm!

Offline Rainy

• Male
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 03:48:03 pm »

That being said, I don't think I woukd name a kid after one of my characters or my 'sona.  It might be selfish, but Kayle is MY name.  I came up with it, and it's a representation of me.  Although... I would probably come up with some nerdirrific name for a child.  Like Jedidiah Knight Young-Miller.  Jedi Knight for short. (:

That would amazing in my opinion :D. I would totally use names like Storm, Flowers or Fidget  ;). They're regular names but they sound like they could be furry (based) names.

Offline Acton

• Species: Republican Black Bear
  • Unrepentant Furry, Otaku and Anglican.
  • Male
    • Acton Hermitage
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 03:10:40 pm »

I've never heard of this...? I think it's best a child decides for him/herself that he/she wants to be in the furry fandom in the first place.

I  referring to from birth and maybe before that.

Offline Rainy

• Male
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »

I  referring to from birth and maybe before that.

Interesting, a fursona from before birth/adoption. I think most of us agreed, having a fursona assigned to you at birth wouldn't be too fun. What if you really want to be a coyote, but you were given a bear name and fursona. You could always change it but it wouldn't be the same, it'd probably feel empty.

maybe the best way that it could happen is if you were raised in an aggressively furry environment, everyone does furry stuff, no one cares about others opinions. Only then could it be ok to be assigned a furry it'd be weird to other people to be in this enviroment.

Chances are, that won't happen, and if it did then it'd almost be a religion to live like this. In the real world I think having/giving a fursona before birth/adoption is not a good idea.

Offline Namae

• Species: Vulpine (Fox)
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »
I wouldn't want to force something like that on a child, and what if they hate being named after a fursona/forced to have one? I think it would be best to let them decide what they like when they are old enough.