Author Topic: FURSONAS on DVD.  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
FURSONAS on DVD.
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:51:20 pm »
Came across the following on the Best Buy website while browsing for other stuff. Not sure if I'll buy it or not.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fursonas-dvd-2016/32616424.p?skuId=32616424

More info. about Fursonas can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fursonas_(film)

Offline Glycanthrope

• Species: European badger (meles meles)
  • Writer, musician, therian
  • Male
    • My SoFurry profile
Re: FURSONAS on DVD.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
"Fursonas" is a bit of a strange beast.
Personally, I don't think it's a great documentary, but reactions have been mixed.

The first half of "fursonas' revolves around a few select members of the furry fandom, especially "Boomer" the dog.
Now I'm sure Boomer is a great guy, but I don't think he represents the typical furry.
Boomer believes himself to be a dog trapped inside a human body, and has created his own fursuit from scraps of newspaper.
The species confusion would make him a therian rather than a furry, and director Dominic Rodriguez should know this and make the distinction.
The idea of making a fursuit from old newspapers is ...definitely unique but again, it does not represent your typical fursuiter.
Rodriguez doesn't care about artists or writers - apparently we're not interesting enough to be represented as part of the furry community.

The second half of "Fursonas" is all about Rodriguez' personal beef with "Uncle Kage", who is portrayed like some Kim Jong Un of the furry fandom.
It's one-sided and grows tiresome really quickly.

There is another documentary out there called "FURRIES", directed by Eric Risher. I think this gives a more accurate, and less sensationalist portrayal of the furry fandom.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:05:28 pm by Glycanthrope »
SONA SI VOS AMAS PELLIGELLIBUS
(Honk! if you love furries)
- inscription found on the rear bumper of a roman chariot, ca 77AM

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »
The second half of "Fursonas" is all about Rodriguez' personal beef with "Uncle Kage", who is presented like some Kim Jong Un of the furry fandom.
It's one-sided and grows tiresome really quickly.

:o  Never heard that one before. Kage may have his quirks, but I don't find him to be all that bad.

Offline Glycanthrope

• Species: European badger (meles meles)
  • Writer, musician, therian
  • Male
    • My SoFurry profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:45:55 pm »
Well, Kage had Rodriguez banned from AC, so there's little love lost between them.
Rodriguez has a strong opinion about the AC chairman, and like everyone else, he's entitled to making a movie to vent his ire.
But it's misleading to title the film "Fursonas", when the final product spends relatively little time on the subject matter.

The blurb on the official website even reads:
"Like any community, the Furry world is one with gossipers, dreamers, followers, whistleblowers and the one guy who wants to rule them all. "
(http://www.fursonasdoc.com/)

What happened to the artists, the musicians, the writers, the poets?
Maybe there'll be room for them in the sequel.

It's his own film, so he can flog it any way he wants, but I think "Fursonas" is too opinionated and too off-topic to make it a satisfying view.

SONA SI VOS AMAS PELLIGELLIBUS
(Honk! if you love furries)
- inscription found on the rear bumper of a roman chariot, ca 77AM