Author Topic: Is your fursona speciesist?  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Is your fursona speciesist?
« on: October 01, 2016, 11:20:56 am »
In our day to day normal world, race relations aren't exactly going so well. You have hatred against Muslims, cops shooting blacks, and so much more around the world.  :P

But in a furry world, how do you think race.......or rather species relations, would be handled? In the furry fandom, we all like to think that everything and everyone is so nice and pleasant, and that all our fursonas and species can get along. But can they?

In the real world, dogs don't get along very well with cats. Some predators like wolves for example, can be territorial. Every species of animal somewhere does or doesn't get along with other species for one reason or another.

How do you think a furry world would be like? Is your fursona speciesist? Is your fursona dominant, territorial, or something else? How does he/she get along with other species, or even members of his/her own kind?

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
Re: Is your fursona speciesist?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »
Mine is a bit scared of predator species until he gets to know them. After that he doesn't care at all about species.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:09:55 pm by Subzerus »
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Namae

• Species: Vulpine (Fox)
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:28:55 pm »
Not really, in fact she loves other species/races, as they interest her. She loves diversity, and likes to learn about them.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:02 pm »
My fursona is pretty much me so I have very little dislike for other races/species.

my fursona is a folf but takes on no instinctive actions/thoughts from the actual animals, and acts exactly the same as me. Though like me if I see a species that usually commits a lot of crime is likely avoid most of them

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 01:40:10 am »
Iara is generally wary of creatures that are bigger than her, in particular predators and, in some cases, humans. She tends to be submissive, preferring to avoid confrontation. These behaviors are more instinctual than conscious--she tries to see past appearances in social situations. 
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline Kaiden

• Species: Acinonyx Jubatus (Cheetah)
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:15:49 am »
I was never a fan of anthro dogs, but <3 scalies.

So I suppose my fursona is somewhat speciesist.
Every now and then...

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 11:14:33 am »
You don't get to be an old rabbit by not being carful around other species. So
I keep a paw ful of cookies to keep them happy.  :D

However though we usually don't think of animals being like humans. They are
more like us than one might expect. They are very possessive in most cases. Even
rabbits are very territorial with others of theiw own kind. Chimps have been known
to make war on other troups of their own kind. Animal social groups generally don't 
accept new members easily. They are greedy too.. Greed is a natural emotion that
helps with survival. Maternal instincts are strong with most species, but
some care little for their offspring. Males in most species treat their offspring
like strangers, or even kill them unless the female protects them.

Some social species do watch out for their children. Wolves help bring food to feed
the pups of the pack. The Buffalo will make a circle with the young ones inside
when attacted. Though uncommon among animals, I have heard that some mountain
goat species will change off with each other to wear out a persuing preditor till it
gives up the chase.

Most of our experience with animals are pet species like dogs and cats. Some natural
habits they have seem to make them more lovable than they really are. Cats rub scent
glands against things they claim. So when they rub you it's marking. Dogs are very
social, so playing up to the boss is a habit they have to gain favor and position in their
pack.. That's one reason Dog owners need to let their pet know who is boss.

Life is interesting, and even though it varies we have much in common with
each other. :orbunny:
oldrabbit.com

Offline Kain (Asher) Eralf

• Species: Atosian Fox
  • Smooth jazz will be deployed, in three, two, one.
  • Male
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »
Who needs to be prejudiced? There's more than enough reasons to hate people on an individual basis.
Besides, hate was meant to be personal.
It's more fun that way.

Personal-honest-maniacal-thoughts aside... Asher can be a bit of a snob no matter what. He enjoys toying with people, but isn't needlessly violent. Point is, he's definitely dominant.
Jokes and fun are great; he surely has a fun side... but he casts his authority and honor in iron.
Rather human, isn't he?

Regardless of how we may idealize some of them, our fursonas, all fursonas, are inventions of people. We can't resist putting some of ourselves, including flaws however small, in them. Even then, mistakes are inevitable.
Fur those reasons, I figure that a world of furries would be much like our own world... though perhaps even more divided because of species differences.
Many of the ideas played with in Zootopia (especially ideas that never made it into the final film) illustrate this beautifully.

We'd have divisions among our own race(s), as we do now, and adding species divisions would only be further temptation for discord...
'Cause for better or for worse, we all strive for our idea of perfection or happiness.

Offline wereaibo1

• Species: Robotic Dog
  • Bite my shiny metal tail!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:15:52 am »
When will people learn that all species are equally inferior to canines?

Seriously though, my Fursona's not racist but he is proud to be a canine, even a robotic one and tends to hold his species, organic and robotic, in high regard. But he doesn't really hold an opinion on any other race or species since he tends to take everyone on a person by person basis rather than lump all of one group into one stereotype. Each race, each species has their good and bad members and it's unfair to judge one race or species on the actions of a few.
Meddle not in the affairs of robot dogs for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source.

Offline Feuerfuchs

• Species: Kitsune (Gray Fox)
  • Ein klein Fuchs bin ich.
  • Male
    • Furry Network
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 05:34:40 pm »
As a canid, I'm fairly predisposed to canids. I do, however, attempt to recognize any prejudice that may arise when interacting with a non-canid species. And I would never disclude someone from being my friend based on species.
We'll see creation come undone,
These bones that bound us will be gone.
We'll stir our spirits 'til we're one,
Then soft as shadows we'll become.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:37:38 pm »

HELL YEAH! *raises fist*  CANINE POWER!   :goldlaugh:

Offline Subzerus

• Species: Anthro lizard
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:32:52 am »

HELL YEAH! *raises fist*  CANINE POWER!   :goldlaugh:

J
H-Hey but...
Profile picture by Javatan.
http://javatan.deviantart.com/

Offline Jakoo

• Species: European Otter
  • Otters Gonna Ott
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 04:46:38 am »

Ha! Puny canines. So easy to trick them into thinking they're superior. In fact, all the "inferior" species pretend they're inferior to prevent canine aggression and unnecessary spill of blood.

As to other species, Jakoo is not racist, but aware of species features, and makes sure everyone can be proud of their species and use their abilities to the max extent.
Why can't I hold all these colors?! Oh wait I can ^^
I have Telegram! @Jakoo_Ruddertail

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:57:44 am »
We rabbits feed preditors around the world. Perhaps we should go on
strike.  :D

oldrabbit.com

Offline Firelight

• Species: Folf dog, alt cross fox, Solarin wolf
  • Your looking sus there boi
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »
Firelight is not speciesist she judges on an individual level. If a particular raccoon is a thief she knows a different coon is not. This is what I think about pit bulls too. I luv pittie bulls!

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »
Coyotes have been known to team up with other critters from time to time. We're equal opportunity tricksters.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Nyro

• Species: Wolverine
  • Knock knock it's Nyro
  • Male
    • FurAffinity
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:04:25 pm »
Nyro doesn't dislike any species in particular but I guess he does like minks, since he lives with a family of minks.

One character I have though that is prejudice a bit is a wolf named Paws. He really dislikes echidnas (this is kind of a reference to a really stupid fanfiction I wrote a few years ago because, yes, of course, he was a Sonic fan character at one point. But I don't draw Sonic stuff anymore. I have rare non-Sonic echidna characters now).

Offline YourUnknownHost

• Species: Maned Wolf
  • Hi there!
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 06:48:48 pm »
I guess he would only care about how the species would act, but be more lenient if he knows if a certain species have strong negative instincts.

Offline Light Blackwood

• Species: Boa & mamba
  • Obscurum
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 11:42:58 am »
Light is somewhat  speciesist with a few number of animals. But generally he isn't in a normal context and equal situations... other thing is if he dislikes/hates  others by other aspects like personality, spreading misconception/low IQ, stereotype or horrible appearance (Only furries, not like monsters or some aliens wich are actually cool)

:9

Offline Dunder

• Species: Spiral-Horned Antelopes (Strepciserotini)
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »
Derrick is cautious around bigger and more predatory animals, especially if the species has a violent reputation. He finds that he's turned off the the general attitudes of all predatory animals he's met already, except bears. It's all good with 'em.

Offline Nefarious

• Species: Dalmatian and Alaskan Husky Mix
  • Tea Enthusiast
  • Female
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 10:35:00 am »
 Oli has OCD, and doesn't like people to touch anything that is hers, 'there's a place for everything and everything in it's place'.

Even though some of her areas look extremely disorganized, she knows exactly where it is, and if you move it to be your type of organized, she will not know where in the world it is. Oli is also territorial, and doesn't want people to touch her (unless she's OK with it) but she hates it when people touch her belongings.

She's very shy, and submissive otherwise, but can be a good leader.
♥ Awkward little bean ready to find her place in the world ♥

Offline Glycanthrope

• Species: European badger (meles meles)
  • Writer, musician, therian
  • Male
    • My SoFurry profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 06:05:39 pm »
My fursona has a love/hate relationship with humans.

On one paw, humans have persecuted and culled his kind for centuries, for no other reason than the bloodthirst so characteristic of humans.
Then again, he is a therian and feels a spiritual connection with humankind - and this confuses him.

Fortunately, there are human luminaries such as Brian May and Bill Oddie to prove that there is still hope for peaceful human/badger coexistence

SONA SI VOS AMAS PELLIGELLIBUS
(Honk! if you love furries)
- inscription found on the rear bumper of a roman chariot, ca 77AM

Offline Beag L. Howler

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 11:07:42 pm »
Beag is based off my old dog, who loved pretty much everyone, so I wouldn't see him as species-ist. Although, there may be some internal speciesism against other canines, judging by the fact that my old dog didn't necessarily like it when we adopted another one. XD

Meanwhile, Tranquility has occasionally chuckled at the offensive joke, then felt horrible afterwards.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »
I doubt if a furry world would be much different unless we have different brain
structure.. The need to survive drives many of the bad things we see in our human
and animal world. A furry world would have an advantage due to so much diversity in
humanoid species.

Though it might be like PVP in warcraft, and end up with one or two species in the
end. Canines? Could be rabbits or mice since they reproduce like mad.  One
wonders what they would have left to eat other than insects, veggies or fish.
oldrabbit.com

Offline GrawnCastillo

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 06:39:34 pm »
That's a great topic but mines will be mind twister, um mm lets say a furry cop shoots unarmed human. Furriers, scales, or anthropological animals that hate the aliens, humans/apes, elves, dwarfs or anything that close to humans. They also hates anthors how sided with the humans. Well my fursona is really human  born cursed jackal that hunt and kill anthropological animals.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:42:20 pm by GrawnCastillo »