Author Topic: New Forum Suggestions  (Read 8744 times)

Offline SerFox

• Male
    • Northern Fox
New Forum Suggestions
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:13:19 pm »
Hey, this thread is for suggestions for things you'd like to see on the new forum, either that you miss form the old one, or suggestions about the look you've wnated to bring up!

We got a whole new forum here, new slate, a chance to change a little.

So, why not tell the people who can do something about it? What do you like? What dont you like? Is there anything you'd like that isn't here?

!!IMPORTANT NOTE!! If you find a bug or problem with the site, please see the Bug Report Thread
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:29:27 pm by SerFox »
Sigmatoor? Wuzzat? o.o

Offline SerFox

• Male
    • Northern Fox
Re: New Forum Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:43 pm »
For me, well, lets see, some font sizes could be a little more organized, but since you're just back up that's plain cosmetics which will settle eventually.
I also note you guys are gonna need some new avatars, since this forum has more than the last. Foxies this time maybe? ^^
Sigmatoor? Wuzzat? o.o

Offline Richard K Niner

• Indecision incarnate canine
  • Male
    • K9 Unit
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:25:50 pm »
While we're talking about minor cosmetic things, those button backgrounds on the posting page need a replacement (due to the white halo effect).

Offline Albino From About

• Holy Crap This Account Still Works! O_O
  • Male
    • My FA Account Of DOOM!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:35 pm »
Two things that I think will probably be added eventually are the wolf emotion icons and the “Recent Posts” button.

It would be nice to have so fox emotion icons though.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

The cow says “Moo”, the cat says “Meow”, the albino fox furry says “Stop it kid, that’s my tail not a pull string”

Furry Code: FCFh2adr A- C* D H+ M? P- R+ T++++ W- Z# Sm# RLU a cnw+ d- e+ f-- h* i++ j++ p- sm-

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:25:59 pm »
Two things that I think will probably be added eventually are the wolf emotion icons and the “Recent Posts” button.

Go down to the bottom of the main forum page and click where it says "View the most recent posts on the forum". That will show you what the new posts are.

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:30:07 pm »
Is there any way to change the maximum signature length from 300 back to 400 characters? My old signature (which is something like 375) seems to have transferred over nicely, but I can't edit it because it would lop off the extra 75 characters.

Also, the default animal icons we had installed on the old forums are no longer here, but that's a minor issue and I'm sure it'll be resolved after the more important things get done. :)

Offline Baconstrip

• nomnomnom
  • Male
    • http://baconcoyote.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:39 pm »
I think that the maximum number of replies per page needs to be increased from 10! It's way too few :D

I think it was 20 or 25 on the oldschool forum, right?
http://baconcoyote.livejournal.com

"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.." Immortal Technique

Offline Mazz

• CAW!
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:55:05 am »
I think that the maximum number of replies per page needs to be increased from 10! It's way too few :D

That I could do easily.
http://mazz.livejournal.com/
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/mazz/
http://tornfeathers.deviantart.com
http://tornfeathers.tumblr.com
--

Rehabber by trade, conservationist by choice
Love your wildlife where it belongs, in the wild

Offline Kwan

• They are my Om-Noms and I want them!
  • Female
    • my stuff on  FA
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:25:45 am »
A personal swedish masseuse for each member would be a definite improvement.
The lack of such was one of the old forum's greatest failings, IMHO. 
Please work on that, kthxbye  ^_~
Card-carrying member of the following fan-clubs:
FarRaptor (in capacity of self-proclaimed Number One Fan-Girl)
Blastdav  (in capacity of Official Tormentor)
Mazz      (Furtopian ambassador ne plus ultra)
White Shepherd (Lo, WS laid hands on Furtopia, and it hath arisen)

Offline NeoFur

• Species: Wolf
  • Such is Life.
  • Male
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 01:42:30 am »
YES!...It's good to be back. ;D

Like the new look, hope it stays.
LoL, I was thinking Simple Machines Forums was something they should use just the other day.

Just remembered...I made some furry Icons a while back wonder if I can get em' added in this time.

Offline Baconstrip

• nomnomnom
  • Male
    • http://baconcoyote.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:53:25 am »

That I could do easily.

Awesome! Thanks Mazz.. It's definitely better at 20!
http://baconcoyote.livejournal.com

"Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.." Immortal Technique

Offline sniffswind

• Male
    • www.sniffs-place.furtopia.org
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 08:00:08 am »
I'm having a hard time reading the forums in their new format with the original color scheme.  I can barely see the icons half the time.  can someone make a skin selection for this forum for some of us to use?

Offline SerFox

• Male
    • Northern Fox
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:04 am »
Acually,how about a new colour scheme altogether, out with the old blue n cream, in with maroon, dark orange, green?

Also as for the fox icons: I used to do pixel arts, I'll see hat I can do!
Sigmatoor? Wuzzat? o.o

Offline Weisseman

• Professor of Cunning
  • Species: Red Fox ^^
  • Weisse fox and Syi citra. Staffing Duo =3
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 10:23:37 am »
Is it possible to have an option somewhere to condence the new post button to show which threads have posts rather than each individual post?

I found it easier to browse the new posts by thread rather than by post.
Fur code: FCF3a A- C-- D- H+++ P++ R+ T+++ Sm# RLCT a cnl++ d++ e++ f h-- i+++ j p+ sm#
ಠ_ಠ

Any Problems here? Come on the IRC and talk to my friend Syi. He loves meeting new people too =3
http://irc.furtopia.org/

*Acquired: 2 Chicken's of Success!*

• Male
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 11:33:48 am »
Is it possible to have an option somewhere to condence the new post button to show which threads have posts rather than each individual post?

Yeah, this is what I meant earlier.

Also could we get all the information that used to be under or around the avatars back, ex: # of posts, gender, location, etc…

And actually I like the old color scheme but it might be nice to have other options.

The cow says “Moo”, the cat says “Meow”, the albino fox furry says “Stop it kid, that’s my tail not a pull string”

Furry Code: FCFh2adr A- C* D H+ M? P- R+ T++++ W- Z# Sm# RLU a cnw+ d- e+ f-- h* i++ j++ p- sm-

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 04:39:36 pm »
Alright, I've set the signature limit to 400 characters, and turned on the gender icon.

I'm having a hard time reading the forums in their new format with the original color scheme.  I can barely see the icons half the time.  can someone make a skin selection for this forum for some of us to use?
Are there any particular icons you find difficult to see?

If you want, you can switch to a different skin in your profile.  However, IkonBoard sometimes added font colors as HTML tags to messages, so you may come across older posts that can't be read unless you select the text with your mouse.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline sniffswind

• Male
    • www.sniffs-place.furtopia.org
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 07:28:26 pm »
Alright, I've set the signature limit to 400 characters, and turned on the gender icon.

Are there any particular icons you find difficult to see?

If you want, you can switch to a different skin in your profile.  However, IkonBoard sometimes added font colors as HTML tags to messages, so you may come across older posts that can't be read unless you select the text with your mouse.

the "post status" icons, mostly.  it's also hard to tell active from inactive threads without taking the time to look at the date.  I have that same problem at GTPlanet, which uses the same boards.

Edit: YUCK! only the default IkonBoard skins are available, and they look like window's default color scheme
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:33:42 pm by sniffswind »

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:24 pm »

Yeah, I was just going to come here to ask this; with a forum as active as Furtopia, it's hard to keep up with the New Posts list when they're listed as posts rather than as threads. I'm not sure if it's possible to change that setting, though....

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 11:05:39 pm »
For anyone who needs more help on understanding how the new forums work, you can go to the top of the main forum page where there should be buttons labled HOME, HELP, SEARCH, etc. Click on the "Help" button to get to some informative tutorials that will help you learn how these new forums work. ;)

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 07:12:59 am »
the "post status" icons, mostly.  it's also hard to tell active from inactive threads without taking the time to look at the date.
I'll make the post status icons brighter, let's see how that turns out.

I'm not sure how SMF handles active/inactive threads, but if I figure it out I'll see if I can add a visual clue.

Yeah, I was just going to come here to ask this; with a forum as active as Furtopia, it's hard to keep up with the New Posts list when they're listed as posts rather than as threads. I'm not sure if it's possible to change that setting, though....
If it's a setting, I haven't found it yet.  I'm afraid I'll have to change the code for this.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

• Male
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 08:26:29 pm »
Could we bring back the little star or something new to indicate weather the person who made a post in a topic is online because right now the only way to know if someone is online is by going to the main page or clicking on there profile.

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »
Could we bring back the little star or something new to indicate weather the person who made a post in a topic is online because right now the only way to know if someone is online is by going to the main page or clicking on there profile.

I agree with this ^.=.~
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline weese

• In ur Screen, likin' ur pixelz!
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 08:49:58 pm »
The one thing I've been having a problem with is the quote box color, it's to close to the background color and makes it hard to tell whats a quote and whats not.

EDIT: Also I just remembered that when you post you go back yo the topic, not to the thread.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:52:05 pm by weese »
My fur code:
FCft3a A-- C- D H+ M? P++ R T+++ W- Z- Sm- RL- a- cl++ d-- e- f h* i++ j p+++ sm-.      <-- Is outdated.

Offline Arbutus

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 09:52:28 pm »
EDIT: Also I just remembered that when you post you go back yo the topic, not to the thread.

Back to the forum, you mean? There's a setting in your Control Panel where you can change this.

Offline Nocte

• Male
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 06:05:07 pm »
You can tell if someone is online by looking at the PM icon (the last in the list).  You'll have to look reeaally close though -- the sooner this gets replaced with the original icon, the better.
Drawing tutorial