Author Topic: New Forum Suggestions  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Blastdav

• Arf! o.o
  • Male
Re: New Forum Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »
*Squints* oh yea, I sees it ^.=.^
Ararar! ^_^
Blastdav on FA

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 06:12:06 pm »
Two things that I think will probably be added eventually are the wolf emotion icons and the “Recent Posts” button.
It would be nice to have so fox emotion icons though.
I've just added the wolf emoticons, and Old Rabbit's smileys -- there's a fox there, too.  Oh, and this old favourite: (:

Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 04:22:56 pm »
The one thing I've been having a problem with is the quote box color, it's to close to the background color and makes it hard to tell whats a quote and whats not.
I was just comming here to suggest this myself.  Though I'm kinda unique in that I'm often searching in bright sunlight while waiting on something.  I.e. right now, I can't even see the outlined border of the quote boxes unless I get about 2 inches from the screen and squint. >-.-<

And I don't know if it's a different font or size or what, but even in normal room lighting, the text looks a bit harder to read overall than the last forums.
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Anthro_Inquisitor

• What is feared is not what is evil.
  • Male
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 12:44:03 am »
Its jus a short suggestion... the big "Furtopia.Org" at the top could link to Furtopia.org and not to the forums.furtopia.org. (Not in a sarcastic tone... since as I read that i feel sarcastic for some reason)

I have to type it in manually to go back to main site once i enter the forums :(

Offline Firehazard

• Slightly used and mostly confused!
  • Male
    • My FurAffinity
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 02:05:42 pm »
I'm wondering if there's any way to make it so that once we break the connection, it automatically marks all messages as read. You know, the way IB and most other forum systems do. I hate being told there are all these threads that are "new" just because I was never interested in reading them.

Also can the mysterious quotation marks be removed from the user titles?

And this is just a minor nitpick, but it should be easy to do with CSS, can the text box in the Post window go back to using proportional text instead of monospace?
Quote from: Savaaha
We have a 27in westinghouse hd flat widescreen TV, Tak has it connected up so its our TV and his comp monitor. We had it since 2009 and its going great.

Art by me.

Offline Narei Mooncatt

• Knight of the Road
  • Male
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 02:18:21 pm »
I'm wondering if there's any way to make it so that once we break the connection, it automatically marks all messages as read. You know, the way IB and most other forum systems do. I hate being told there are all these threads that are "new" just because I was never interested in reading them.

I like it the way it is.  A lot of times (like now for instance) I only have time to check one or two posts when there's a lot of new ones I can't get to right now.  When I go back later, seeing if a forum has new posts helps me out a lot.  I don't use the "new posts" viewer because there's a lot on here I don't read and don't want to filter through it for what I do read.  My $.04 (inflation ya know. ;) )
I've got a 53' tail. Truck driver by trade, professional tourist by choice.

Offline Richard K Niner

• Indecision incarnate canine
  • Male
    • K9 Unit
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 04:33:29 am »

I like it the way it is.  A lot of times (like now for instance) I only have time to check one or two posts when there's a lot of new ones I can't get to right now.  When I go back later, seeing if a forum has new posts helps me out a lot.  I don't use the "new posts" viewer because there's a lot on here I don't read and don't want to filter through it for what I do read.  My $.04 (inflation ya know. )
Similarly, sometimes forums manage to crash my browser (a certain other one was a particular culprit of this thanks to the administrator's <3 of SJAX).  It would anny me even more if I reopened my browser only to find that all the topics I was going to read were marked as read, and I couldn't figure out which ones were lying.

At least this is better than the last system, though, where you had to click the mark as read link at the bottom before it would clear stuff away that you DID read...

Offline Nocte

• Male
    • http://unicorn.furtopia.org/
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 05:09:26 pm »
Narei: The quote box has the same background color as the old forums (#111).  The font is also the same, although slightly bigger in size I think (Verdana 10 pt).

Anthro_Inquisitor: Good idea. No use having two links to the forum main page up there anyway. :)

Firehazard: Yes, that's easy to do in CSS.
Drawing tutorial
FEHu3a A+ C D-- H M- P R++ T W-- Z Sm- RLCT a cl++++ d+ e+++ f- h+++ i++ j p sm*

Offline Richard K Niner

• Indecision incarnate canine
  • Male
    • K9 Unit
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »
You know, you should really replace that "men at work" sign on the maintenance mode page with something else   (I'll give you three guesses as to what, though I'm sure you only need one)

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 11:00:48 am »
I'd like the option of new post notifications being directed to PM instead of email. Or a clickable list of watched threads so I don't have to wander through every forum or search out my own posts to find threads I've already decided are interesting.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Species: liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 07:52:52 pm »
Its jus a short suggestion... the big "Furtopia.Org" at the top could link to Furtopia.org and not to the forums.furtopia.org. (Not in a sarcastic tone... since as I read that i feel sarcastic for some reason)

I have to type it in manually to go back to main site once i enter the forums :(
That logo's supposed to link back to the forum index, by normal forum standards and the way it was done in the previous incarnation of the forum. Once we eventually get  the rest of the original graphic header on the forum, it'll include a link to the furtopia.org main site.

Benjamin

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2008, 08:02:51 pm »
Could we bring back the little star or something new to indicate weather the person who made a post in a topic is online because right now the only way to know if someone is online is by going to the main page or clicking on there profile.
You can tell if someone is online by looking at the PM icon (the last in the list).  You'll have to look reeaally close though -- the sooner this gets replaced with the original icon, the better.
SMF, by default, has an online indicator built into it's theme for when you're reading threads like you are now. Hmm... With a bit of work on the indicator's colours, am sure we can implement it once more into our theme here.

Benjamin

Offline Siege

• Male
    • Siege's Snippets
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 11:42:39 am »
I've noticed that userpics are limited to 100x100 only; if yours is smaller, it gets stretched to accomodate.

Mine is smaller, and does not have a square aspect. Any suggestions on what could be done to fix this? I don't have a graphics editor available to adjust the image.
Dragons have treasure better than gold.

"If code can be speech, then software can be art."

Visit WikiFur, the furry encyclopedia! Alternatively, Visit Siege's Snippets!

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 01:17:24 am »
Hmm... I changed an admin setting so that oversized avatars are rejected by the system, instead of forcing them down to the 100x100 format. Apparently, that change also fixed the issue you're speaking of here, too. Your avatar wasn't too big, but it was still being stretched by the system as a default of that setting in the admin controls. Rrrmmm... *shrugs* Doesn't make sense, but ah well. I'd rather refuse oversized avatars, anyways. They were often an issue in the past.

Benjamin

Offline Benjamin

• the admin liger
  • Male
    • stripeymaney
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 02:28:27 pm »
Could we bring back the little star or something new to indicate weather the person who made a post in a topic is online because right now the only way to know if someone is online is by going to the main page or clicking on there profile.
You can tell if someone is online by looking at the PM icon (the last in the list).  You'll have to look reeaally close though -- the sooner this gets replaced with the original icon, the better.
SMF, by default, has an online indicator built into it's theme for when you're reading threads like you are now. Hmm... With a bit of work on the indicator's colours, am sure we can implement it once more into our theme here.

Benjamin

Oh, silly me... It was just a toggle that turns the online indicator off or on. I've enabled that now. Yeah, am still getting familiar with this software. ;)

Benjamin