Author Topic: News board  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Mooshi

News board
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:34:55 pm »
I think we need a news board for stuff that isn't meant to be debate, but is too serious for the more laid back general board. Honestly, there is a lot of stuff I'd like to post as I get wind of them, but I always end up feeling bad. :< 1) It almost looks spammy 2) I hate putting something serious near topics that are lighthearted.

Even right now, it's in the News that online poker became legal on the federal level (all for the money revenue if we're being honest) while repealing don't ask don't tell is still delayed...I watch the news, I like being current online as well. I believe some things people deserve to know. But I do not feel right if I'm posting this kinda stuff in general. A news board is a good idea for anyone to report a breaking story.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Re: News board
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 11:54:15 pm »
I kinda understand what you want and how you feel. But the General Non-Furry Discussion forum is just that: For non-furry topics. This includes anything news related that you hear/see, etc. And the Debate Forum is also an acceptable place too for posting topics which may be controversial, etc. There's even the Adult Discussion forum for topics that need to be discussed in a more mature setting. You've got three choices there already, Mooshi. ;) Why have a 4th option when we already have three to choose from? No offense, but I don't relish Furtopia turning into another CNN, BBC, etc. website.  :P

Honestly, there is a lot of stuff I'd like to post as I get wind of them, but I always end up feeling bad. :< 1) It almost looks spammy

Yes, you do tend to post quite a lot which I've noticed. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It just simply means you like to post interesting topics that you think others might want to know about. If you think you're starting to get a guilty conscience because it looks like you're spamming the forums, then maybe post just one new topic per week instead of posting 2, 3, or more a week. Maybe try to cut back on the amount of news topics you post?

As I've already mentioned in the past:

The more forums/boards we have, then the more the staff have to watch. No offense, but I don't relish making my workload any bigger than it already is.
If we add another board, then we have to take into consideration if the "traffic flow" for that new board justifies us having it. If people don't see it, use it, etc., then it just sits there and doesn't get used, then why have it?

Offline Arbutus

• Species: Rabbit
  • Also known as Sir Bunny-Face
Re: News board
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:05:35 am »
I kind of agree with Kobuk on this one. I think that with most news stories, there's some potential angle for discussion, right? Which suggests that they can go in the Furry Debate Forum (not all debates have to be controversies). But if there's nothing to really discuss about a story, then odds are it's not really worth posting. ;) Not on a furry forum, anyway.