Author Topic: Music Revelation! Recodnised Gaming Composers  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Natura Wolf

Music Revelation! Recodnised Gaming Composers
« on: April 13, 2013, 03:57:06 am »
Hello Guys,

I am soo happy to announce that a revelation has begun with gaming composors such as Nubou Utmetsu, Jeremy Soule and many others are finally getting recodnised as composors.

http://halloffame.classicfm.com/2013/chart/p/50-1/#pieces-10-1
On Classical FM, it was judge in the Hall of Fame for some of these to be recodnised as brilliant composors.  Out of the 500 list of classical composors we had in the top 5:
5th place - Jeremy Soule for the Elder Scroll Series
3rd Place - Nubou Utmetsu for the Final Fantasy Series

Such a brilliant revelation has caused a much needed debate on whether game music should be recodnised as classical or if a new category of genre needs to come out.

Personally I take this to heart that this is one of the most brilliant and much deserved recodnitions ever, and it is challenging the means of what it is to be a classical composor. 
However, this will be a hard topic as it is challenging against many classical devotes who are set in old ways of classical music set by the history of our ancestors, who are firm not to allow the new and dynamically beautiful stories made by the modern music of these composors.  You can even see the comments of how big this debate is.

In my honest oppinion, these composors are more than deserving to be where they are.  Their music is designed to tell stories and create atmospheres and environments.  Which I feel is the soul justification and defination of music which even past classical composors can fail to achieve.  What is your oppinion?

I am just so happy that all this hard work that they do has paid off to this degree.

A very big devote to music, to these composors and to game music.

Natura Wolf

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
Re: Music Revelation! Recodnised Gaming Composers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:04 pm »
I hate to disagree here because I have the feeling(from your 5th paragraph) that you are going to take it as a personal attack on your views and tastes(which it is not),but,I really have to say they belong nowhere near the top 5 of classical music. On the list? Yes,for sure,beautiful scores,but so high up on said list,not a chance(at this point I had to confirm my suspicion,and yes this list was the typical "voted by the public" type of deal,fanboys included).
Try to play flight of the bumblebees by Nikolai RimskyKorsakov on ANY instrument,or ANYthing by Rachmaninov or Franz Liszt,its just "wow,this is amazing",or accurately singing Nesus Dorma by Giacomo Puccini in its original pitch,its hard to even play/sing these things,so imagine thinking up and writing such a thing without the aid of things like automatic notation software of today and other advantages available. Also there are composers that have single movements that are more intricate than most game/movie scores ever written,I just dont think they are in the same league of talent,in my opinion.

As you can see from my profile signature I am a TOTAL gamer,so I should be biased since I love those games soundtracks as they are VERY well written,but I wouldnt even class them on the same level of genius as composers of such caliber as Richard Wagner,Gioacchino Rossini,Claude Debussy,Camile SaintSaƫns,Sergei Prokofiev,Giuseppe Verdi,Leo Delibes,Georges Bizet,Johann Strauss(or his son),Peter Tchaikovsky. At this point mentioning the sheer complexity intricacy and deep feeling in any Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart,Ludwig Van Beethoven,Johannes Brahms,Frederic Chopin or Edvard Grieg piece is just a cherry on the top and absolutely redundant given they are on a whole different level when it comes to classical music,in my opinion of coarse.
Given that soundtracks and scores are "classical" too,I have to say that even Danny Elfman,John Williams,Hans Zimmer and James Horner outrank most game soundtracks too,again,in my opinion. I mean,I love Joe Hisaishis music as much as any other fan,but to put him in the top 5 of a classical music list would just be flat out ignorant of me and biased,I have to call things like I see them,I am not a "classical devotee" or "set in old ways",but I do give credit where credit is due.

Music is very subjective,naturally,taste plays a huge part,but sometimes you just have to agknowledge things for what they are,facts for facts,and opinions for opinions,I mean,I LOVE Aerosmith,but noone in their right mind would put Joe Perry higher on a top guitarist list than say Steve Vai or Satriani,I personally dont even like their music but I can respect how damn well they play their instrument to perfection,they are for sure GREAT guitarists that play a style I just very much dislike. Do I like them more than the music of Aerosmiths Joe Perry? Not a chance in hell,I find them boring. But would I rate them as better guitarists on a guitarists list? Sadly yes. Joe Perry is awesome and writes incredible stuff,but he is by no means a virtuoso.
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)

Offline Natura Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:54:06 am »
Ok I've read your response and this is mine in return
What do you think about when you think of music?

For classical music I strongly believe it has to tell a story, and that is something that game music has it's biggest advantage in, even movie soundtracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPW549JJFss

Now yes I am completely biased in this oppinion but this arguments sounds very familiar to a musician when we were dancing salsa, he pinpointed the count of '1' to be different because of his musicality taught him that rules mean that the one was there to him.  I argued that the music played 'salsa music' was for salsa dancing, it was played for dancing not for musicians, but they also have their story in the song (though some are simple and just about love).  But there is justification, and there is alot of Movements and compositions that I absolutely adore.  But some are simply there for the difficulty and status.

Now I've never heard the songs you mentioned above but I do know they didn't come first.  My second argument is this.  Why wasn't it first?  There are 500+ classical pieces and i'm sure it's there on the list but it wasn't first.  But you yourself never challenged the other classical pieces, only the newly composed classical pieces created from a gamming background.  I can admit I am biased but yourself as too categorised it as 'unworthy' simply because of it's background.  These composes of wolfgang and baithoven, etc.  They will always exist as long as we want them to.  But if we only see them as the best and never look beyond at the new and gorgeous music coming in.  Then how can you truly say your listening to the music anymore?  And how can the nation step forwards both musically and socially (breaking the 'status' barrier of upper class, middle and lower).

I would finally argue that people like Nubuo and Jeremy Soule worked hard in other aspects.  They had restrictions, themes and other forms of deadlines and yet contributed 100% efficiently, and I will battle with anyone who suggest no equality and to present these hard working composors as inferior due to their background.

Offline Choky

• Rare species
  • Male
    • http://choky.furtopia.org/
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:40:44 am »
The reason I challenged solely those two composers is because,believe it or not,apparently that is the threads designated topic...whod-a-thunk-it? If it was "Bizet took first place on this list,Im so excited" my reply would have been "Well I may not agree on first place according to my taste but I can see how he deserves to be up there or near there" or preferably not replied at all and let it go. I didnt critisize the list as a whole because I know that the order of such a list is based on taste(to a certain degree) aswell as talent,probably no two people would order it all the same way,but what I can do is judge who is the better composer and in turn at least which names belong in the top 5 area or at least in the ballpark. I am not debating who goes in what order overall,but rather who is definately not deserving of the top 5 spots in a category of music with such rich world-renowned talent to choose from. Did I not say they deserved to be on the list just lower down on it? Because your reply seems to indicate otherwise and even go as far to say I said they are unworthy because of their background...um what? where? I critisize their placing on said list based on their talent as composers which while great is still no genius,nothing more,and certainly nothing to do with if its gamer score or not,music is music.

This is turning into a youtube style debate,which is exactly what I did not want.

Now I've never heard the songs you mentioned above but I do know they didn't come first.
Firstly,Ive just been to the list to check and as it turns out Rachmaninov IS first,I can see how much you were really reading into my post. Secondly,HOW THE HELL(sorry for caps but it is amazing) do you intend to compare musical pieces in a genre in which you have not heard the competition?!? Thats like going back to my Joe Perry Vs Satriani thing and saying: "Joe Perry is awesome,Ive never ever heard Satriani play,but I already know Joe is infinately better and deserving of top spot because hes my fave,I need no reference point,it cant get any better than Joe". Do you even realise how little water your argument holds when you admit you havent heard the main competing composers in a genre you are suposedly argueing over top 5? Im sorry but I cant deal with this,are you trolling me? I am at the point where I seriously have to ask.

he pinpointed the count of '1' to be different because of his musicality taught him that rules mean that the one was there to him.  I argued
Im guessing he insisted it was on a silent beat that wasnt audibly there,but technically the true first measure would be wherever the music indicates it to be depending on the time signature,but you may count it any way you choose to start your dance steps if it fits in time,in each way you could both be right,then again it depends on the song in question so maybe only one of you was right,you can only ask the writer/artist how he "intended" it. How people "understand" it and later "use" it is something completely different and once again Im throwing in the word "subjective" opposed to "right and wrong".

They had restrictions, themes and other forms of deadlines
Oh yes,Im sure thats neeeeearly as hard and accomplished as writing iconic string quartets when you have finally lost your sense of hearing after battling only partial deafness(of course I refer to baithoven,ahem...I mean...Beethoven).

and I will battle with anyone[...]
Maybe you should start by listening to the main competitors before you feel qualified to rightfully judge on a subject,because its a little unfair if you dont at least measure it up to its competition. Okay,to be fair I can see a typo in my previous post,please tell me you have heard of the piece if I correct the title to Nessun Dorma insted of Nesus Dorma...please. It would restore my faith.

For classical music I strongly believe it has to tell a story
Please tell me you dont think that most of the classical composers mentioned in my post are not story orientated. I believe I only need to give you 1 guess as to what Peter and the wolf by Sergei Prokofiev is about for example,most of them are even operatic,so story driven even.

'unworthy' simply because of it's background.
You didnt read my post did you...

hard working composors as inferior due to their background
...nope,you clearly didnt.

They will always exist as long as we want them to.  But if we only see them as the best and never look beyond at the new and gorgeous music coming in.
They will be the best until something better is composed and rightfully knocks them off their podium,key word being "rightfully",in other words genius,not just incredibly awesome,but absolute genius. There is a "par" to meet and it has definately not been met yet. Also,the time in which is was created is not its key to greatness,its the piece itself.

Now yes I am completely biased in this oppinion
Thats all I needed the hear really,to be able to fairly judge a subject you can have no biased opinions to either side,that my friend is unfair tipping of the scales. I dont know why I didnt cut this short and just post solely this.

And how can the nation step forwards both musically and socially (breaking the 'status' barrier of upper class, middle and lower).
Umm...wait,what?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:44:40 am by Choky »
Dude,where my Furryness?
424 passed games on N64,PSX,DC,XB,PS2,GC & X360.(Last updated on 29/09/13)