Author Topic: Impossible Meat?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
Impossible Meat?
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:07:11 pm »
Anybody hear of, or have eaten, an item called "Impossible meat"? Basically, it's like meat, but has no actual "meat" in it. It's all made with plant protein or some other meatless ingrediants.

I'm a carnivore. I like and want meat. REAL meat! Not any imitation substitutes. Is this what the future will be? No more regular meat hamburgers at McDonalds? No more steaks at your local restaurant? No more "meat" hot dogs when grilling out?

Sample link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/business/impossible-whopper-national/index.html

Offline Loc

• Tea-obsessed transhumanist and Buddhist.
  • Species: Cyborg snow leopard
  • The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Re: Impossible Meat?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:02:39 pm »
I've had meatless "meat" before. And yeah, I like it. Imitation meat has gotten better over the years too.

Prices of real meat are going to start rising and frankly, the large scale farming for everyone to get their real meat has reached the point of being unsustainable in the long run from an environmental point of view. I'm fine with this rolling out in a big way. I'm sure some people will moan about it, but if this is the future, sign me up. If it tastes the same, and it is giving you your protein, then what's it matter?

If your meat HAS to have real meat in, then would you be happy eating cloned meat? It's real, after all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 05:12:47 pm by Loc »

0.1.0 Alaskan Malamute, Kimba
0.0.1 amel stripe corn snake, Vivec
RIP Dany, Gelbstoff

FFSc3ar A+ C D- H- M P+ R++ T++ W Z- Sf# RLS* a cn+ d+ e++ f h+++ i++ j+ p+++ sf#

Offline charcoal

• Species: Pitbull
  • artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:52 pm »
They take away meat something bad is going to happen were humans we can't just survive off of veggies its fine to have vegan options for the vegans but don't cram your fake crap down our throats
imageanation is more important than knowlage elbert einstein

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:13:51 pm »
Never had it but I am a hardcore carnivore (hey, that rhymes! :D )
I've had people attempt to feed me burgers that were like 30% tofu, thinking that that I wouldn't realize the difference. It upset them a lot when I retched and told them it was the worst tasting burger I had ever had.
We got into a bit of an argument because they said it would taste better if I had put tomato and lettuce or onion on the burger but I insisted that I cannot abide the way vegetables feel in my mouth.

And that's the rub. It isn't the taste of veggies that puts me off, it's the way they feel in my mouth, how it feels when I bite into a piece of celery or a leaf of lettuce or a piece of onion. No matter how it is cooked, it does not feel the same way meat feels and the feeling of vegetables makes me ill. I always feel like I am biting into a cockroach, and sadly I DO know what that feels like.  :(

Eventually my friend did come clean about what he tried to pull on me and said he was trying to show me that tofu feels and tastes the same as meat. He couldn't believe that I was able to detect it but when you have a mouth like mine that strictly consumes ONLY meat since I was a little kid I can take a pepsi challenge on that fake meat stuff.

And hey, I'm an open minded woman. I'm not against fake meats for any other reason than they do not taste, smell or feel the same as home grown, bloody red meat. However, if science can produce a meat substitute that feels like real meat in my mouth, tastes like real meat, smells like real meat and doesn't make me feel sick to my stomach like fake meats do, then I will happily eat it. But that is a VERY high bar and I will not accept anything less than genuine meat till then.

:goldbloody: :goldhowl:
Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:35:25 pm »
I actually took a Pepsi challenge once long ago. Pepsi seemed really sweet. It had more of a fizzy bubbly taste to it. Coca-cola on the other hand tasted very syrupy. Like almost too much of that caramel food coloring additive. I've always preferred Pepsi over Coke.

Offline Kay Alett

• Species: Gryphon
  • part-time hobbyist
  • Female
    • Only The Strong: Wanderers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:22 pm »
I've always preferred Pepsi over Coke.

Them's fightin' words there pardner.

Semi-Retired from Furry.
 - - - -
Come bitter Rain,
And wash from my Heart
That saddest of all Words: Home

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 11:32:43 pm »
I tried tofu I had to run out of the restaurant gaging I told my cousin never again you hippy

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 12:45:39 am »
My reaction to every "meat substitute" I've tried: youtube.com/watch?v=7sYJinHOvwM

I don't know why they bother; it's like they're admitting they can't make vegetarian food taste good without cheating. Personally I can't wait for cultured meat so we can finally put all these embarrassing failures behind us.

Offline cause the rat

• Species: rat
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 01:06:44 am »
They take away meat something bad is going to happen were humans we can't just survive off of veggies its fine to have vegan options for the vegans but don't cram your fake crap down our throats

I'm living proof of this. Tried to go veggie. Ended up physically hurting my liver. Doc put me on a high protein diet. I've had to checkups sense then. Everything's back to normal. I don't  care if it comes out of a test tube. As long as it's real meat I'm good with it.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline FarFar

• Species: Anthro Canine / Corgi
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:19:25 am »
I have had "fake meat" on a number of occasions. I agree with Kay in that it is the texture thing that bothers me. It just does not feel like a piece of meat to me. That is what sets me back. And I guess I have been conditioned to taste "meat" when I'm presented with something that been traditionally flesh and not plant material. So, it may be that I would have to condition myself to accept it. I do like my meat to be meat.

Having said that, if someone enjoys or wants to promote meatless meat, then that is something that they can do. I just won't necessarily jump on the wagon with it so to speak.
I took the red pill...

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 03:03:28 pm »
I've been tempted to try ground turkey and have turkey burgers, etc., but I haven't tried it yet.

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 04:23:04 pm »
Ground turkey is good just add a bit of extra oil to the pan or it burns and drys out

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 08:54:35 pm »
Is this synthetic meat energy efficient to produce? They must already process the bejabbers out of soybeans to get soy milk and butter substitute, but--like soy milk--it probably has a certain snob appeal.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 10:33:42 pm »
Amen

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 12:51:05 am »
I've been tempted to try ground turkey and have turkey burgers, etc., but I haven't tried it yet.

Turkey is real meat.  :D That sounds good! A turkey burger. Covered in a celery sage pesto and lots of butter. With a slab of cranberry sauce. Like a holiday in my mouth. I'm going to try this.
It's been said that rats can gain access to your home by climbing up threw your toilet. I prefer to use the front door.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 11:45:51 am »

Turkey is real meat.  :D That sounds good! A turkey burger. Covered in a celery sage pesto and lots of butter. With a slab of cranberry sauce. Like a holiday in my mouth. I'm going to try this.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Species: Wolf / GSD
  • Still hanging in there...
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 10:08:22 pm »
I eat turkey burgers regularly.  I like the taste, I add spices from time to time to jazz it up.  I also get way less fat and more lean meat this way.  And it is real.
My mom will gag if she eats it.  When it cooks she says..." smells like someone didn't pluck the bird, smells like burnt feathers!"
I of course like chicken, pork, beef, fish, dinosaur, dragon, corgi, coyote, malamute, etc...  Corgi thigh muscles are rather delicate and juicy, just add a hint of tarragon.

I like Turkey burger with usual fixings of dill pickle, lettuce, tomato, onion, yellow mustard.  I have used black pepper as well as rosemary or sage as well with good results.
My dog, in fact, would take turkey burger when sick, when all other foods she would shun.  Of course when she was in her last few days, she wouldn't take any food.

Synthetic meats, I just go into it knowing its fake, yet should be harmless, and i eat it.  I can usually gag my way through most foods if I know they are harmless.  I grew up eating my grandmothers rubber pickles which were tasteless, slimy, old as Muthuzela, and made me burp for a few days.

If people are brought up knowing no difference and there is no nutritional difference, perhaps more people will use them in the future.  But for a fur who has bloodlust, veal is real. Soy is beans.

However... no need to shut down the synthetic junk.  Lessens environmental burden (perhaps) and allows others to keep getting their meat-fix.  This, eating meat, is not going away anytime soon.
Bear your soul and take control
If the wolves are howling outside your door
Invite them in and make them beg for more!
(Name that tune!)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:06 pm »
I of course like chicken, pork, beef, fish, dinosaur, dragon, corgi, coyote, malamute, etc...

How dare you! I'm offended by that! :goldpissed:

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 10:34:00 pm »
I of course like chicken, pork, beef, fish, dinosaur, dragon, corgi, coyote, malamute, etc...

Tastes like good-ole mountain dew! Sweet, and smooth.
 :) (:

(Now... what other fur will actually catch that?)
(Name that tune!)

Offline Foxpup

• Species: Cyborg Fox
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 12:17:42 am »
Cannibalism doesn't count if it's cloned. *chows down on own cloned sirlion* What? I'm low-fat! ;)

Offline charcoal

• artwork done by saiyu
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 12:35:37 am »
Hide this from farfar he might napalm you while you sleep jk lol

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
Thanks FoxPup.
Yep cloned malamute!

It's a dog eat cloned dog world out there in the year 2104
(Name that tune!)

Offline cause the rat

• Male
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »
We could aways go to Soylent Green.  :D

Offline Jade Sinapu

• Male
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 02:42:07 pm »
We could aways go to Soylent Green.  :D

Just add some hot pepper sauce to those Soylent Greens  ;)

But yeah, cloned meat? Hey, Ill eat it if safe to do.
Plant based meat substitutes , same as above.
No meat?  I do that too.

Just tell me the truth when I buy it!
(Name that tune!)