Author Topic: Belle Isle deer  (Read 2382 times)

Offline User_of_Shadows

• Male
    • www.shadow_user.furtopia.org
Belle Isle deer
« on: July 19, 2004, 12:46:01 am »
without those plants if no human intervention came sooner or latter they would of died anyways. And about one life form killing always killing another that is true BUT it is in a balance the deer upsetted the balance so they would been suffering down the road. How do you know that the deseise was not caused by them being in close proximity with each other on an island because they were so populous.
My Furry Code
FXGp5amrw A- C*>++ D H+++ M+ P+ R++ T+++ W>++++ Z Sm+ RLRB a19 c++++ d- e>+++ f h* iwf+ j+ p+ sf-

Offline KiyoshiAkita

• Mister Donkey
  • Male
Belle Isle deer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 12:10:56 am »
but still......I'm concerned more about the deer being caged and killed than some plants growing......no matter where you go, you will find that one life-form destroys another.....well anyways, it is just lonely now going 'round the island and not having the deer around anymore
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Offline User_of_Shadows

• Male
    • www.shadow_user.furtopia.org
Belle Isle deer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 11:29:51 pm »
sorry but the deer there was an introduced species (as in the article states) also the deer caused havoc on the indigenous vegetation.  So I support the move because to me that seemed necessary to the ecosystem that is already there. Which is more important than having deer there to look at, Also the population boomed as it said therefore what would happened to the island if the population got too big without anything controlling it.
My Furry Code
FXGp5amrw A- C*>++ D H+++ M+ P+ R++ T+++ W>++++ Z Sm+ RLRB a19 c++++ d- e>+++ f h* iwf+ j+ p+ sf-

Offline KiyoshiAkita

• Mister Donkey
  • Male
Belle Isle deer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 10:33:16 pm »
This has been bugging me ever since it has happened...
I visit the Detroit Yacht Club from time to time and used to love watching the deer on the island while on my way to the club, but one day they just dissapeared....I learned later that they were placed in the zoo because of some disease going around, but my question is....How the f*** does a fence stop disease?!?!? I found an article on the topic here http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0407/09/d01-207389.htm

It's straight up b.s. and the deer need to be free!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Offline Sporty Fox

• Male
Belle Isle deer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 09:54:24 am »
Think for a moment of how those deer got on the island, they swam. Which means they could leave the island the same way, so they weren't as isolated as one would think. Once exposed, the deer who stayed strickly on the island would be at a high risk of disease. Wether or not they should have been removed is a matter of debate, there is both good and bad in the decision. But the decision was made, and by folks with much more knowledge of the situation  than we have.
   And if anyone doesn't believe that a deer can swim that far let me assure you they can. On the river I keep my boat on it's not unusual to see deer swim across, and it's over a half mile wide there. One oyster man I know hit one in the morning fog about 6 years ago, he lassoed the buck and towed it to shore after it died.
"I'm no longer active here but those wishing to contact me can thru e-mail or my LJ. Please note that I cannot receive or respond to PM's sent thru Furtopia."

http://sporty-fox.livejournal.com/