Author Topic: School starting soon.  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
School starting soon.
« on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »

When I was in school summer vacation started in mid May, and ended the day
after Labor Day.

Now in my area it goes from late May to mid August. Or earlier.

Rual areas generally had longer summer vacations so farm kids could help
with crops and harvest. It seems this is changing, so vacations are shorter.
oldrabbit.com

Offline GrayWolf448

• Species: Gray Folf
  • Male
Re: School starting soon.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:45 am »
yep guess its time for children to stop doing useful stuff (for those who work, study other things, or are generally just enjoying life) and instead waste their lives in this messed up "education" system. though i hope that there are at least some schools out there that teach people stuff that they will need in the future.

for me school starts on the 17th, though i still havent even prepared at all. im supposed to be having a meeting with the school but my dad is meant to be planing that (and i have no idea what happened to it since i still havent heard of any meeting)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:15:09 pm »
Schools around here start after Labor Day and go to the end of June.  I'm waiting to see that one commercial on tv where they play "its the most wonderful time of the year" and the parents are jumping up and down buying school supplies. :p  Forgot which store this is an ad for.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »
When I used to be in school, the school year started either just after Labor Day or a few days before it like the last week of August. The school year ended usually about the first week of June. When the school year ended usually depended on how many days had to be made up because of winter time snow days or other factors.

yep guess its time for children to stop doing useful stuff (for those who work, study other things, or are generally just enjoying life) and instead waste their lives in this messed up "education" system. though i hope that there are at least some schools out there that teach people stuff that they will need in the future.

The below comments aren't necessarily aimed at Graywolf, but all young people who might be reading this.

Is that all you know how to do is complain about school?  >:( School is not going to be perfect, you know. And neither are the teachers, assignments, etc.  The teachers, schools, and the entire school system are trying to do the best they can with what time, money, and other resources they have. Nobody ever said school was going to be perfect or easy.
The whole point of schooling is to "try" and prepare the younger generation for living in the world. Some subjects the schools will teach. Others will have to be learned from higher education such as colleges and universities. And still others you will have to learn on your own or from parents/relatives. Actually, if you think about it, the whole world is one big school. Our whole lives are spent endlessly learning about people, places, and things around us. We never stop. We're constantly "learning" from the time we're born to the time we die.

Schools and the education system as a whole do many things to "try" and prepare the younger generation for the outside world. Some can include, but is not limited to the following:
a) Educate them about other people and cultures.
b) Help them for living on their own and/or to get a job.
c) Teach them important skills.
d) Teach important life lessons, morals, values, and ethics.

Graywolf, you always say school does nothing for you. You'd rather drop out, and so much more. Well, just remember, folks. If you don't want to learn, If you don't want to do your homework, If you skip classes, If you drop out of school, then you are really hurting yourself in the long run. People do not hire, respect, etc. those who fail school vs. those who do well and complete their educations.

If a person doesn't do well in school, doesn't do homework, gets bad grades, etc., then who's fault is that? Certainly not the schools or the school system. The fault is your own. You made the choice not to do your homework. You made the choice to skip classes. You made the choice to drop out of school. Your parents, teachers, school system didn't make these choices for you. You did. And for those people who did these things, you have to suffer the consequences of your actions later on in life, whatever that might be. So in short, who's responsibility is it for failing through school? Go look in a mirror. The result may surprise you.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:51 pm »
btw kobuk the reason i complain about school alot is that the material they teach is not something that would benefit me in the future. i know for sure that the high school diploma will benefit be when it comes to actually trying to get more specific education for my desired carer path.

"a) Educate them about other people and cultures.
b) Help them for living on their own and/or to get a job.
c) Teach them important skills.
d) Teach important life lessons, morals, values, and ethics."

a) my school does not do that. we learn about history but that is the closets we get
b) i have never seen a job application form, resume, or any other information about any of the stuff out of high school
c) we have not covered any life skills
d) morals, values, ethics, are things that seem mostly avoided in my school. we dont really discuss that stuff. and life lessons isnt really anything we learn either (besides wear goggles when around chemicals)

i have talked to my teachers multiple times, iv had meetings with my teachers, iv told them how what they are teaching will not help me, and iv told them what information would help. they have only made it a little easier for me to graduate (which is a good thing) but they have not started teaching useful things.

i am asking for them to teach me stuff that will help me, so that i dont end up taking money from welfare just to survive and try to teach my self what will be helpful, so i can recover. the thing is that if i did not need my high school diploma, and wasnt in high school, i'd likely be taking classes at a college for game design. also i have nothing wrong with learning it's just that my school doesnt teach stuff. most of the useful stuff i learned in life either came from my own research/experiments, or from my time spent with sciex.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:51:09 pm »
Did you ever stop to think that part of the reasons why your school/teachers can't or aren't teaching you and/or others the things you want to learn is because the school has a "set" curriculum on what it should be teaching to students? To deviate from that curriculum might get the school and/or teachers into trouble.

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:54:56 pm »
Did you ever stop to think that part of the reasons why your school/teachers can't or aren't teaching you and/or others the things you want to learn is because the school has a "set" curriculum on what it should be teaching to students? To deviate from that curriculum might get the school and/or teachers into trouble.

yes that is likely the exact reason that they are not teaching what is needed in life. if i could i'd like to take different classes/different school but sadly most of the schools are the same around here (might have to go to a different city), and my parents are too lazy to actually change my school

just so you know i usually do think thinks through, think of the reason for why things are like that, and try to think of solutions. the problem is that something like this is out of my control, i have not been taught how to deal with it, and i my self do not have the resources to deal with it on my own. then iv got the issues of social anxiety, and pretty bad depression. iv been getting almost no support for those mental conditions (school let me see the councilor but the guy doesnt even seem to know what he's meant to do), and the only thing that helps is my partner but getting into the US is really difficult.

though the fact still stands that my school does not equip students with life after high school. the area i live its all about graduating then off to college, but even then the information taught in schools here doesnt really help (unless you grab some of the elective classes)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Male
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 10:53:25 pm »
GrayWolf448, I work with challenging kids as a teacher, so I deal with a lot of rough stuff.  I've had the question asked "why do I need to learn this" so many times, and you know what I say....I tell them "you never know when something that you were taught is going to benefit you hours, days, months, or years into the future, and when that days comes, you will be thanking your lucky stars you had the opportunity to learn about it".  That's what an education does. 

It may seem silly to talk about things like Ancient Rome or graphing on a coordinate plane when you don't think either topic deals with real life.  Ancient Rome had direct democracy in its early stages and there's always talk of the Electoral College and stuff around election time, and the argument comes up if you should just let the people vote directly.  If you ever had to fix anything or build things, you're using geometry and angles, so that connects graphing skills and using tools for accurate measurement, same as graphing on paper would.  You just never know when a skill or information will become useful, and its just something to have in your toolbox so you look like an educated person rather than someone who chose to quit school.  Don't knock an education.  There are millions in this world that would die for such an opportunity that will never see it.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »
Don't knock an education.  There are millions in this world that would die for such an opportunity that will never see it.

Bingo! To all the kids in the world who think school is dumb, etc., just be glad you ARE getting an education. ;) There are millions of children around the world who don't have an education and can't go to school for various reasons. These children would jump at the chance to learn something, anything, if they could. So instead of skipping classes or being a dropout, do something else instead.........be a role model to the children who don't have an education and show them that you completed school and actually learned something. And when they see and hear that, that'll give them the hope, desire, and dream to one day get an education themselves. ;)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:16:25 am »
"you never know when something that you were taught is going to benefit you hours, days, months, or years into the future, and when that days comes, you will be thanking your lucky stars you had the opportunity to learn about it"
what I'm complaining about is that the things they teach are uncommon things you would rarely run into, while they are completely ignoring the common things that you are almost guaranteed to run into in life (taxes, anything to due with getting a job, mortgages, finding good deals for stuff, how to deal with banks) if you use the argument that they cant teach you everything due to limited time/resources, I'm suggesting that they replace the things that are uncommon with things that are common. (in short teach stuff you use more often)

i don't really have anything against math class and i agree with you about the math being useful chipper (math like that is very useful), though the thing is that the more advanced math you end up forgetting unless actively practiced (my whole family, family friends, and my friends have forgotten the math I'm doing) so its a waste of time/money

it has been years since we covered anything to do with how the US government or other governments work/run. even then we barely covered the way laws are passed, or the electoral college. (most of our focus was on Christopher Columbus being the firs to find N. America, Paul revere) the only problem i have with history class is that they wanted a full page of writing for something i could do in a few sentences (the prompts asked simple questions that could almost be answered in yes or no) so i got marked down for that and nearly failed. and yes i realize that many people don't get "education" I'm not saying the concept of school is bad i am saying that the way they teach, and what they teach is bad.

another thing is that my school is teaching completely wrong and incorrect things. the most annoying thing in my school is English class. here are reasons why.

-they give you very simple prompts that can easily be answered with barely any writing, but they want you to write a 5 page essay on it when i all ready proved my point, and explained my opinion/evidence in just a paragraph or two.

-i am only allowed to use a fictional story book to prove my points in an argumentative essay.
     (for example: prompt: "has America changed at all with it's acceptance of racist values"
      evidence allowed to use: a fictional story about a African American being abused, written by an African American)

-i have to chose a side in an argument and i am not allowed to agree with anything from the argument.
     (for example: i am not allowed to say "i am correct because of ___, though the other argument is correct in a different area because of ___"
-i am also not allowed to be unsure about my argument. i have to act like i am 100% right (while i know i might be incorrect) when ever writing, which is something i just cant do. (this type of thinking is also unhealthy, and should not be encouraged)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Male
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:18 am »
what I'm complaining about is that the things they teach are uncommon things you would rarely run into, while they are completely ignoring the common things that you are almost guaranteed to run into in life (taxes, anything to due with getting a job, mortgages, finding good deals for stuff, how to deal with banks) if you use the argument that they cant teach you everything due to limited time/resources, I'm suggesting that they replace the things that are uncommon with things that are common. (in short teach stuff you use more often)

That's an administrative problem, not your teacher's fault in many cases.  Your profile says you live in California, I live in New York and teach students here.  Both of our states have intense exit exams for nearly every course you take, and if students don't pass those tests, they look back, and so does their teacher in turn.  I would love to teach more life skills math than algebra because it would benefit more of the students I see, but that's not how it works.  I can wish and wish all I want, yet they are still required to learn algebra.  A good teacher will make it work and make it as relevant as possible (and its not always possible with higher level math so you have to just deal with it).  If you want life skills math, you need to be offered electives at the school (wood shop, home economics, finance math courses), or do one better, if you' know you're not getting this at school, teach yourself something. ;)

and yes i realize that many people don't get "education" I'm not saying the concept of school is bad i am saying that the way they teach, and what they teach is bad.

See my quote again; you never know when you'll need something you learned you thought was worthless or pointless.  Case in point, when I was in high school, you had to take certain electives to meet a certain number of credits to graduate.  I took home economics because I didn't trust myself around wood saws at that time in my life.  Some of the course I liked, some I hated, yet I wasn't allowed to pout, moan, and complain, I did everything in that course.  Looking back on that I wish I had paid more attention with some of the sewing techniques because I might be able to repair clothes better today.  Its not the end of the world, but again you don't always realize what you gave up until years later when you wished you had paid attention.

I have read your points on English, I can't speak for that as I'm not an English teacher, I only proctor exams for that course at the end of the year.  Similar topics (argumentative essays and such).  If there's a real problem, again, its likely due to what is required by your state curriculum.  A lot of states don't require such rigorous curriculum but you live in one that does.  I wouldn't whine about having to work harder.  I've heard a lot of high school graduates that would love to just do high school as a job because its far simpler and less to worry about than managing their real life once they're out.  ;)

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:39:06 am »
yes that is what im complaining about, they just dont have things prioritized in the correct order. though the teachers have some blame (they dont help, they arent willing to reduce my work load to something that makes sense, ect. the math teachers are usually fine)

algebra/2 is almost nothing for me.. also again im not complaining much about math. as for electives i have took all the engineering classes, and things like home economics, wood shop, finance math stuff, cooking, autoshop were pulled from our school. (other electives are being an actor in a play, speech and debate(it's pretty much english class again, not what you would expect it to be), sculpture/art (i'd be fine with taking those classes, but the thing is that i will not accept my art/be willing to display it if not complete/reaches my standards, also the class has group projects (while i prefer to work alone, and my mental state pretty much only allows me to work alone))

in english class we just constantly repeat essays in mla format that have to be 5 paragraphs long. unless i need to write an essay to program a game, or buy a house there isnt really many other reasons to know that. real life does not have restrictions like that.

im pretty sure i know what you people are thinking. im just some complaining teenager who just doesnt like school. while it is true to a slight extent i really do want to actually do stuff/learn/get my life in order. i try hard in school, and to try to get into discussions/writing for things that give me room to write about (my post in the 2nd amendment topic is a good example of that) though do realize that my school is likely very different to most of the schools any of you work at, go to, or have been to.

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 01:48:26 pm »
From my point of view, there are 2 main reasons why schools don't teach various stuff. There are more reasons, but I'm just citing two examples.

1. Budgetary issues. Some people may disagree with this and say we are pumping millions or billions of $$$$$ into the education system. But there are still plenty of schools and school systems around the country that aren't getting the necessary funding they need to stay afloat and properly educate the younger generation. Most school funding tends to come from the Federal and/or State level. But when funding is cut for various reasons, it has what's known as a "trickle down" effect. The school district/county suffers ----> Individual schools suffer ----> Teachers suffer -----> Students suffer.  :(  Everybody and everything hurts, even including new gym equipment or new lunch menu's.

2. Over the last several years, I have heard and read various news reports about how the U.S. is constantly being beaten by other world countries concerning education. About how there are other countries that are doing so much better than us at math, science, English, and so much more. Another reason why some schools may be dropping Home Economics, Wood Shop, or other courses it deems as "useless" is because there is much more "pushing and prodding" so to speak to make schools and students more competitive with the rest of the world. Some schools may not see Home Economics or Band Practice as being necessary for a student's well being. So........off to the chopping block it goes and it is replaced by something which the school board, etc. thinks is more beneficial to the student in a competitive world.

If you want to learn stuff that you would need to survive on your own, can you learn that yourself, or from family and friends? Or, browse the Internet for tutorials, or go to the local library or bookstore and read some books. For example, cooking and sewing is easy. You don't need a Home Economics class for that. Whatever you "miss" in school can just as easily be learned from books, library, Internet, friends, and family.

Back in my day (1980's), Junior High and High School was easier. While there were some classes that were mandatory, there was also a lot more freedom in the elective courses given that we could take or not take.
Gym class was mandatory.
Home Ec. was an elective.  (I took this.)
US History, World History, and Social Studies were all electives. (I took all these.)
All shop classes (Wood, Metal, Drafting, etc.) were elective. (I took all these.)
Economics was required for high school graduation.  :P
Algebra may have been required. I don't remember.
Can't remember if English class was required or an elective?
Personal Speech & Communication. (This was a class on how to verbally communicate with others and give speeches.)
I also had some "fun" classes like "Science Fiction" and also "Mystery".
Took plenty of computer classes in Junior High and High School.
Took Spanish class multiple times (But have forgotten most of everything.) and took French class.

I know there's more classes and subjects I took, but I don't remember them all. It was so long ago.  :P

So Graywolf, what subjects and classes does your school have? What is required vs. what is an elective?
U.S. History
World History
English Class
Algebra
Geometry
Calculus
Trigonometry
Home Economics (Home skills like personal finance, sewing, cooking, etc.)
Shop Class (Wood, Metal, Drafting, Automotive, etc.)
World Economics (Finances, Stock Market, etc.)
Computer classes
Art classes
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Basic Science
Music classes
Gym class (Sports and outdoor activities)
.........etc., etc., etc.

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »
A lot of returning students will be assigned the obligatory "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" essay. I tended to embellish mine somewhat.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »
A lot of returning students will be assigned the obligatory "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" essay. I tended to embellish mine somewhat.

Eat, sleep, Be a couch potato, Play video games.    The End.  :D

Offline Iara Warriorfeather

• Species: Velociraptor (Iara)
  • Dinosaur of Furtopia-On Hiatus!
  • Female
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 09:11:52 pm »
I looked forward to school growing up. It was one of the few places I went where I felt my creativity and weirdness was accepted by some of my peers and encouraged by my teachers. As a result of their support, and those positive vibes associated with school, I am now an adjunct professor.

Without achieving my Master's degree, Bachelor's degree, and high school education, I would never have been able to see my dreams, at least in part, come true. With all of this education, I've been able to:

• Travel to China and examine fossils for research
  • Travel to Utah twice to help excavate a dinosaur
  • Present my work to other professionals that I've looked up to since I was a kid
  • Travel to different conferences throughout the U.S.
  • Move out of my parents' house and achieve personal freedom
  • Share my experiences and enthusiasm with others every semester at three awesome colleges
  • Help raise a beautiful baby girl and support my new family

That isn't to say that achieving such an education is easy! Nor is it something that most want to do.

There is a saying I remember asking about a long time ago....

I took on a summer job at a paint factory prior to finishing my Bachelor's degree. I was at a Chinese buffet with my coworkers. I noticed a beautiful hand painted piece of scrollwork, surrounded by inlaid mother-of-pearl and dragon motifs. I asked my supervisor what it read. She said,

"If there is a will, there is a way."

I think if you want to achieve your dreams career-wise, you have to bite the bullet and finish your education. Some careers take longer, some are fraught with difficulty, but I believe all are worth it in the end.

School serves a definite purpose--to prepare you for your life's path, to give you skills you will use in the future, whether you like to think so or not. Often, you don't realize just how valuable the skills you learn really are until life throws you a ton of curveballs and you have to keep up with those skills, otherwise you will struggle for a long time.

No one can take your education--the skills you learn in high school and beyond--away from you. And it's up to you to use those skills wisely.
Furry Code:
FDC5adw A+ C+ D++ H++ M- P++++ R+ T++ W Z Sf RLS/LW* a+ cn+ d-- e+++ f+ h- iwf++ j p

My art and such

Offline GrayWolf448

• Male
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 06:36:15 am »
my school has been wasting funding on alot of things, they likely do have money for more useful classes.
-the school's finance person wasted several hundred dollars on a budget/finance program, and instead of admitting wrong she insists on people to use it (my brother heard from a friend who assists her)
-buying new 2016 IMac computers that somehow end up running super slow. (buy cheaper computers if you dont need them to run fast)
-constant redecorating of the school's website (odd thing is that its alot more difficult to navigate)
-golf carts for the staff/administration on a small campus
-tones of poster paper, and tape for clubs that post their posters once every ~20 feet
-possible health safety lawsuits (busted bathroom locks+human waste on floor, signs of leaking chemicals from pool storage room, sending the janitor on the roof to inspect/remove a remote detonated pyrotechnic device, plus other health concerns)
-possible other lawsuits (illegal activity between administration members, and students. student committing suicide a few years ago. possibly more)
-pointless construction (electronic welcoming board near the road, large concrete/steel sculpture thing in quad)

"can you learn that yourself, or from family and friends?"
-my mom moved to the east coast a few months ago due to financial issues, we talk time to time through text/phone calls. she was almost constantly working while over here, and the time that she did have off was spent bringing me and my brother to the movies but that was all she had time for. there wasnt much to learn from her besides talking care of a dog's health (useful information for keeping my dog health, but nothing in terms of making a living in the future)
-my dad is not home most of the time, he is usually working or going out with friends (guessing getting drunk or something). other than that i usually prefer to avoid him due to getting yelled at, at a younger age. while he does not yell at me now, i dont like being around him that much. i haven't really learned anything from him.
-my brother has mostly just been learning with me. he builds random things, and helped me understand the way random things work but other than that he doesn't really know anything about stuff stuff in life.

as for friends i am mostly friendless, all the friends i do have i have met through furtopia, and live all over the world/US. i have been very unsuccessful in making friends offline. the only friend that i actually have met in person is sciex but sadly his Visa was taken away from US customs because they suspected that he was trying to live permanently in the US illegally (even though he was here trying to sign up for college)

now as for learning by my self i have been attempting to do that with game design and using game engines, but i am having a very difficult time picking up what exactly to do. one problem is that school used to take up too much time too allow me to learn other stuff, though now im in the independent study program i have more time to learn other stuff (so less annoyance at school) So pretty much all my complaining is a result of the amount of time school took from me, that i could have been attempting to learn, or they could have been teaching, before i got to the state that i am now.

i am now dealing with being heavily depressed due to barely anyone showing signs of caring for me, the isolation that im going to be stuck with till December-January (when sciex might be back in the US again), and realizing that all the "friends" iv had in the past likely only cared for the video games i let them play, and the junk food i let them have. this depression makes it very difficult to learn. i easily get stuck on random thought, which prevent me from sleeping, which leads to being tired most of the time, which makes doing things like driving, learning to cook, learning to use tools, or anything like that dangerous (a few months ago i ended up cutting my leg open with a power saw since i was too tired to think how stupid of an idea what i was doing was, so i dont really trust my self with trying to learn things that could possible be dangerous)

the classes my school has are these (6 classes per year 4 years of school)
Spoiler: show

gym (2 years required)

foreign language (2 years of the same language, or 1 year of japanese)
-Spanish
-french
-Japanese (expensive books, off campus classes)

History related/ social science classes (4 years required :
-world geography (we talked about very simple things, like how geography influences how people live. wasted a whole school year on information that i all ready knew. easy to finish class.)
-world history/cultures (we barely covered any history. most of the time we were looking at news and then writing a whole page of random stuff about the news (i all ready listen to the news, didnt learn any history, or any skills. again another year wasted on info/skills i all ready know/practice)
-us history (covered us history very easy class to finish no complains)
-US government+economic (economics is about stocks(barely covered), and US gov does not teach how to government actually works. haven't been in the class but that's what other students said)

math (3 years required)
-algebra 1 (easy)
-geometry (easy)
-algebra 2 (sorta easy, though lots of math things you forget after the test.) trigonometry is included in the algebra 2 course.
-calculus (not required for graduation, and not taking it so no complains)

English related (4 years required):
-English 1-2: personal statements. prompt: what is a life changing event that happened in your life (my life is extremely uneventful, and there is no single event that was life changing.)
-English 3-4: personal statements. same as above (teacher was friendly, and not much work so no complaints) and argumentative essays (very simple prompts that do not allow expanded writing, restricted to MLA format, no factual evidence, need to act 100% correct, ect)
-English 5-6: argumentative essays ^
-English 6-7 personal statements+argumentative essays

Science related classes (3 years required):
-bio (repeat of info learned in middle school, annoying projects/presentations)
-chem (constant balancing of equations, nothing more)
-physics (unknown)
-physiology (good class though only because i got a good teacher. so far my best experience in high school)

Electives (3 years in total: 2 years visual, and performing arts: 1 year art):
-art (painting, drawing, charcoal drawing, chalk drawings, oil paints/pastel)
-sculpture (clay, paper mache)
-animation (easy, only covers how to use their 2D animation software. easy too repetitive)
-introduction of engineering design (easy, only covers how to use AutoDesk (very easy program, too repetitive work))
-Principles of Engineering (relearning the "engineering process" - simple programing in basic -
-computer science (simple programing in python)
-digital electronics (lacking equipment, teacher off doing random stuff, basic concepts understood/able to do)
-speech and debate (almost the same as english class)
-band
-drama (after school event, has plays)

classes removed- home economics, personal finance, cooking, auto shop, wood shop,
my class choice:
Spoiler: show

special graduation requirements now exclude me from foreign language requirements
9th - gym, english 1-2, algebra 1, world geography, bio, intro to engineering design.
10th - gym, english 3-4, geometry, world history, chem, digital electronics
11th - english 5-6, algebra 2, US history, physiology, animation, Spanish
12th - not started, meant to have a meeting with school a week or two ago haven't heard from them.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 12:29:34 pm »
It appears the thread has morphed to one about the value of education.. This is fine as it
is an important subject as we have many young people reading.

After over 50 years of life I can tell you almost everything I learned in school has been
of value. I wish I had paid more attention to english class.. It seemed so useless at the time.
"I will never want to be a writer. "  But it's as much about communication as anything else.

People respect others who can communicate well. And I would love to know english well
enough to be a good writer.

My understanding is grade school through high school is much about learning how to learn,
to learn the mistakes of history, and advances. Perhaps to find what you want to do in life.
So all those subjects that seem silly may trigger an interest you never knew you had. It's
common for young people to feel they know more than they really do. But the more you
learn the more you know how little you do know. Education isn't perfect, nothing is,
but society has had many years to know what works pretty well. And though young people
may feel they could do better, it's likely they don't. Of course with new technology the way
and how of learning is changing.

From the day you were born till your mid 20's your brain is building networks that you will
use and need the rest of your life. School provides a big part of that knowledge base you
need. Learning how to learn, learning how to get along with others, working with others.
We are not an island to our selves, we depend on others and they depend on us.

Unfortuantly we also have to learn that there is much greed in the world. People that think
more of themselves than anyone else.  That's why schools end up with junk they don't need.
Some greedy person sold them on the idea. Everyone has to survive, and some feel it''s ok
to step on others to do so. That might be the way of life in the wild, but to be civilized
we all have to work and learn to keep it that way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:52:27 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 02:41:18 pm »

Eat, sleep, Be a couch potato, Play video games.    The End.  :D

This will comprise what some young folks I know will be writing--if they are honest.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:01 pm »
Something else I forgot to mention. I've often heard from time to time how kids and teens say that parents don't understand them, don't understand what they're going through, and don't understand so much more at school. As an old saying goes: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Maybe I (and others) don't know or understand some things because the schools today (2000's, 2010's) are different from what we went to (1970's- 1990's), but there are issues which never change like bogged down with homework, bullying/harassment in school, crappy teachers, detentions, and so much more. So before you ever think that your parents "don't understand" or have never gone through the same/similar things that you are now going through, think again. ;) We've been there and done that.

Offline Old Rabbit

• Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
It does seem every generation feels they are misunderstood. But the older
they get they tend to forget how they were as kids. 

I wonder how many have said to themselves."Oh no I sound just like my parents."

Since each generation feels it has to find it's own way, teens today will likely find their
own kids much as they are one day.
oldrabbit.com