Author Topic: 50 years of Star Trek  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Old Rabbit

• Species: Rabbit Artist
  • Birthday wisher.
  • Male
    • Art by Oldrabbit
50 years of Star Trek
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:04:38 pm »
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.

From my generation who saw the original show to the movies of today. This
show has held the fascination of many people over the years.

Here is a link to a news report on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/sep/04/star-trek--50-year-mission-best-of-humankind
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:07:30 pm by Old Rabbit »
oldrabbit.com

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
Re: 50 years of Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:11:31 pm »
The History Channel hosted a documentary chronicling the 50 years of Star Trek.  It really only scratched the surface of each series.  They didn't even have Shatner on talking about his role.  They did talk a lot with Nimroy before he passed away.  I wish they went more into the the earlier series, how they built sets and things.  They did drive home the point the show was too radical for 1960s TV (interracial kissing, women in positions of power) and that's why it was canceled, not because nobody was watching it!  I simply thought it wasn't popular enough, so I did learn at least one new thing that I wasn't totally aware of.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!

Offline Kobuk

• The "Malamute Dewd"
  • Species: Anthro Alaskan Malamute (Husky)
  • #1 Dew drinker.
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:34:17 pm »
Happy 50th Anniversary to Star Trek today!  :D  :D  :D

Today is the day that the very first episode of the original series Star Trek aired on NBC television. The episode was called "The Man Trap".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Trap

However, there are some diehard ST purists who say the first "official" episode was the one titled "The Cage". But The Cage never aired on network television.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cage_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

^ The parenthesis after the word "series" is screwing up the link. Don't blame me. Blame Wikipedia instead.  :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:38:18 pm by Kobuk »

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »
I shall celebrate this milestone by watching the Furries Vs Klingons bowling meet on YouTube.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Rocket T. Coyote

• Species: Canis Latrans Rocketus
  • The Furry Model Rocketeer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:11:02 pm »
A recent podcast I reviewed contained a discussion on Star Trek. Apparently the show wasn't all that original and borrowed ideas and stories from other sources and shows, such as The Outer Limits. The idea of a Scottish engineer may have come from Sir Gerry Anderson's Fireball XL5 Sci-Fi puppet series.
"The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck, and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him. And even the fleas would dessert him for a velocipide."~Mark Twain
(Baps the old humorist.)

Offline Chipper Blu-wolf

• Species: timber wolf
  • Spending too much on media
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:50:35 am »
Perhaps it wasn't totally original, but it certainly broke some tv barriers in the 1960s that people wouldn't dare put on-air at the time.
Its best to eat a balanced diet with a cookie in each paw!